Crash

Matteo Pelicone Rome -- Saturday Thread

I don't get it with Fix. The kid looked phenomenal when he won his Jr World gold and totally won me over as a fan.

Since then, it seems like in so many of his big matches he just won't open it up (to avoid mistakes?), keeps his world class talent in his back pocket and then loses anyway. 

Not trying to be harsh on Daton but it looks like he is not interested in scoring big points in big matches.  

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Why is everybody denouncing Gilman? Didn't Fix do even less?

No, he didn't. Gilman made one attempt at a re attack in the last 3 minutes and zero offensive attempts of his own. Again, I think the right guy won but to suggest gilman did more in the match tells me you didnt really watch past the first period

57 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I wouldn't say Zain dominated McKenna, McKenna was winning with 2:15 left in the match.  He tried a desperation throw at the end and match score was lopsided at that point.  

Zain clearly dominated him. The only thing McKenna did in the entire match to score was the initial TD. The exposure that gave him 2 points he did nothing. That was Zain self exposing trying to get exposure on Joey with a head pinch. Then in period 2 all three of Zain's TD's he is very close to exposing Joey and another ref may have awarded him points. The last one Joey went straight to his back. Easily could have been 4. I thought the match was not as close at the final 10-5 score. 

10 minutes ago, Perry said:

No, he didn't. Gilman made one attempt at a re attack in the last 3 minutes and zero offensive attempts of his own. Again, I think the right guy won but to suggest gilman did more in the match tells me you didnt really watch past the first period

This is just factually inaccurate.

4 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

Dake does not look good at 74kg. Too much of a cut. Running away at the end, looking gassed. 

You know Dake almost always “looks gassed” right?

It would not shock me in the least of Colon beats Gilman.

This version of JO I am really liking, and I've never really liked JO or his style. If this is the new "him", then awesome!!!  This version can beat Bajrang.

Dake should win this in a controlled match.

Ringer and Zahid eh?  Question is, which version of each shows up.  Zahid winning again wouldn't shock me at all.  Ringer doing Ringer things and thwomping Zahid wouldn't shock me either. Going to probably be a close match, but I'm favoring Zahid this round, at this higher weight.

1 hour ago, Columbia_Lou said:

Zane had 12 unanswered pts,the last 4 were sloppy,but Zane gassed him and dominated the last 3 mins. Hard to call stock down on Zane but stock up on Joey?

I said stock the same on McKenna.  The exact McKenna I figured would show up showed up.  

I am stock down with Zain because I was hoping this would be the breakthrough- the time when he beats someone who is world medal level.  I really hoped he and Fix would jump levels...  Maybe stock down isn't fair.  But..yeah...meh.  

What’s Colon & Gilman h2h record against each other? 

I’m picking Colon today. He can run hot or cold on any given day, like either plow through a tournament or exit early with a questionable loss. At least that’s the way I remember it. It looks like we are getting the former today. 

I think Dake will win comfortably thanks to recovery time. His opponent from Turkey beat Chamizo at last year’s Euros, right? So maybe it’ll also be a fun transitive property match.

1 minute ago, pamela said:

What’s Colon & Gilman h2h record against each other? 

I’m picking Colon today. He can run hot or cold on any given day, like either plow through a tournament or exit early with a questionable loss. At least that’s the way I remember it. It looks like we are getting the former today. 

I think Dake will win comfortably thanks to recovery time. His opponent from Turkey beat Chamizo at last year’s Euros, right? So maybe it’ll also be a fun transitive property match.

Colon needs a chance to work his gut wrench.  He can be brutal when he locks that up.

53 minutes ago, Perry said:

Welcome to Iowa vs OSU narrated by an OSU fan

Zain stock down is not right. He stayed the same. I thought he wrestled a very tough Bajrang really well but couldn’t close out the match with the lead and half a mine left. I really thought Zain was going to get him there. Frustrating loss. That’s more a credit to Bajrang than a knock on Zain.

I was really impressed with McKenna for a while against Zain. After beating Yianni and then scoring twice on Zain in impressive fashion, I was hoping he had jumped a level. But Zain’s pressure and strength advantage was too much. 

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Almost like he's peaked for the world championship, not this tournament in Italy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Vak you always have the pithy retort. Indeed. Not to mention this is the first time Dake’s been down at 74kg in a while. Could take some adjusting. 

I mentioned in a different thread that I felt Colon would be a threat if he could make the cut.  I am glad he is having a good tournament.  I have always felt that Colon gets kind of forgotten about because he isn't flashy.  The guy has always had a great defense and if he gets on top he can score points in droves.  I think he has the best gut wrench of an American.  Including our greco guys.  I am not saying he will be our rep.  I do think that most people who give up one takedown will end up taking the loss.  If he gets 2 takedowns in a match I think everyone takes a loss.  If he gets on top twice he is going to get a turn and if it is in the center it is going to be more than one.  Compound that with his defense and that is a lot of points to overcome.

Zahid is very impressive as well.  It will be interesting to see how his trajectory continues between now and the trial.  I still like Deringer to right now though.  Either way, Cox or Taylor will be our rep.  I think it will be J'Den.

Gilman and Fix are always close.  They have wrestled so many times the past couple years it is always going to be a close match.  They know each other to well. 

Snyder: At the end of the day he will be fine. I have said for a while that I think he needs to take a break.  After the Olympics I hope we don't see him again until right before the next Worlds.  That dude has been going at it hard for 6 years now.  The body can only take so much and if he doesn't slow down his body is going to break down.  I really don't buy the muscle thing.  He has wrestled so many matches the last few years there is gobs of film on him. Him and JB are probably the most scouted U.S. Wrestlers in history.

Dake: I am with the group who doesn't take much from his matches.  Dake has always won.  Whether he scores a ton of points or one point.  Like JB, when he needs to score he usually can.  Yes, I know that it can catch up with a person but really the only time it catches either of them is when it is a top world competitor.  In those situations I don't think it is low scoring from keeping a match close.  When the top 2 or 3 guys in the world face each other the matches are going to be close.  I still think JB is our rep. I don't think JB has lost as much as it is made out to seem.  Is he a little slower? sure. But you don't get 5 golds and several bronze by not knowing how to win.