Crash

Matteo Pelicone Rome -- Saturday Thread

16 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Anyone that criticizes Gilman for being passive but not Fix can’t be unbiased. I just watched Fix score early against the Chinese wrestler and then shut down for the next 5 minutes until he gave up a takedown to lose at the end. 

It was worse than that. Fix only scored because the Chinese guy attempted a lateral drop and gave him a TD in the process. Fix literally did zero like he didn’t even want to be there. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

dammit... i taped both my ankles and still sprained the right one jumping off the fix bandwagon...

i am officially in the lee for tokyo camp... 

was impressed with colon and gilman was as gilman as ever and i would  be ok with him as a rep, but, lee is the way ...

It’s about time you did. Fix is by nature a counterwrestler and will never be the guy fans want him to be. He’s still very good but he’s not good enough at his style to win world medals at the senior level. 

Lee, Gilman, Colon, will all give themselves a chance. Fix so far has not shown he will. 

I like Gilman, but there is something about Colon that has always made me a fan.  Even in his college days when he upended my MO Tigers at conference.  

In Gilman's defense he tends to do a great job hand fighting and driving his opponent toward the edge while still holding center.  I think that is whey he doesn't get put on the clock much.  We are often looking at his lack of attacks, but officials are looking more at how he controls the center.  Him and Colon were virtually in the same over and under position, Gilman even blocking with his head, but because Colon had his back toward the edge, and was being driven backwards he got put on the clock. 

I too thought it was a questionable 2.  Could Colon not challenge that?  I thought maybe Colon started that throw before he stepped out.  It was hard to tell though without replay.

Either way it was a good match.  Colon is going to be a tough draw at the trials.  I thought his shape looked pretty good too.  It will be interesting to see how he does as he continues to acclimate. 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It’s about time you did. Fix is by nature a counterwrestler and will never be the guy fans want him to be. He’s still very good but he’s not good enough at his style to win world medals at the senior level. 

Lee, Gilman, Colon, will all give themselves a chance. Fix so far has not shown he will. 

someone please post a linc for the Lee fan club membership... i will be needing to send in my dues today...

With the general consensus being that Dake's performance has been lackluster, it should be point out that the guy from Hungary he teched came within an eyelash of beating Burroughs at World's last year, jumping out to a 4-0 lead before Burroughs came back to win 6-4.  It's been a minute since I saw the match but as I recall a few breaks went Jordan's way.  He also almost lost in the first round as well, for those who are recalling a JB who dominates all but Sidakhov and Chamizo. 

What was Zain thinking hoping over the back. Okay, as I say that the idiot from Ukraine throws himself to his back with a 3 point lead and gets pinned.  Fortunately for Zain that was an even bigger bonehead move. 

1 minute ago, Cradle1 said:

With the general consensus being that Dake's performance has been lackluster, it should be point out that the guy from Hungary he teched came within an eyelash of beating Burroughs at World's last year, jumping out to a 4-0 lead before Burroughs came back to win 6-4.  It's been a minute since I saw the match but as I recall a few breaks went Jordan's way.  He also almost lost in the first round as well, for those who are recalling a JB who dominates all but Sidakhov and Chamizo. 

Impressive memory. I didn’t think that was the same guy. I’m going to go look for the match now. 

Just now, scramble said:

What was Zain thinking hoping over the back. Okay, as I say that the idiot from Ukraine throws himself to his back with a 3 point lead and gets pinned.  Fortunately for Zain that was an even bigger bonehead move. 

Zain basically had a 5 TD to 1 lead, but he exposes himself over and over again to trail. Mind numbing. Glad he pinned him. 

1 minute ago, Cradle1 said:

Folks around here are really reactionary. To me Dake has been Dake today. He’s a gritty dude with a clutch gene and he’s really good at dominating close matches. Dake is fine. 

I wanted to give you a like but I’m out for the day lol.

3 minutes ago, scramble said:

I like Gilman, but there is something about Colon that has always made me a fan.  Even in his college days when he upended my MO Tigers at conference.  

He is all class. Works hard. Makes huge sacrifices (I’m still shocked he can function at 57 with 2-hour weighins). Wins or loses with respect. Has an entertaining style. 

Surprised Fix lost to Gilman and then shocked about the loss to China.  I expected him to win both of those matches.  I don't understand people being critical of Gilman against Fix.  Gilman got in on the leg a couple of times and Fix kicked away, they were good shots.  Gilman was the aggressor until late in the match and Fix got busy, because he was about to lose.  I agree Fix dominated the last 45 seconds.  I don't understand the lack of offense in big matches going back to the NCAA tournament against Suriano.  I honestly didn't think he would lose to Gilman again.  The weight cut must be hitting him hard.  

JO seems to be getting on a roll.  

Edited by mistydawn
typo