ionel

Can Nebraska really ...

Refs have consistently not called the leg stalling call when in the standing position.  It is infuriating, but consistent.

With regards to Desanto, he wasn't super active, but neither was Lovett.  He was totally content to ride out.  He'd get Desanto flat, bar an arm, Desanto would base up, rinse and repeat.  He never actually left Desanto's hips or tried to turn him.

Warner is gassing, getting ready for a classic Warner finish, either a win where he screams loudly, or he comes off the mat screaming about something being wrong with him.

Just now, Perry said:

Warner's biggest problem may be between his ears. He does have glimpses of brilliance but seems to shut down sometimes and does not do a good job when the matches are well contested

My theory is that he has always been stronger and more physical than everyone else to a point where he could just blow through his opponent. Now that he is in college and maybe slightly undersized he cant do it so he has no confidence in himself to get to the leg and finish.

Young and marinelli did what it took to beat solid opponents, I don't have too much negative to say about them. Lee, assad and even cass looked good. Was disappointed with the rest but still that was a beating. 

Warner does remind me a little bit of the older massa brother

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Surprising, I thought Red would've been called for stalling ~5 times in CHA.  ;_;  red did well!

Red wrestled a perfect match there. Got an early takedown and made Murin come after him. He moves laterally much better than Murin and was able to pick him apart with reattacks. Murin wrestled hard, but he's going to have to make some serious adjustments on his feet next time around. He never got a whiff.

If you want to find a moral victory there, Murin looked solid coming off the bottom. He's been much improved there this year so far. Red rode him to death last year.

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

Base was built and he is circling to try to work up. What would you tell an athlete to do differently?

Russ:  relax.  He got you in a troll and you bought it.  AD was constantly working up.  He just couldn’t get out.  Looked bad on bottom but definitely not stalling.

i thought the match was officiated very well. no complaints. except white probably should have been hit for stalling a few more times.

it went about like i figured. I gave venz the advantage, but he is kind of up and down like warner.

I thought we could one between red, labs and schulz

so we got two, just not one of the two i thought we might get.

it was a great dual...bonus points only from lee.

good scraps.

Well I was pretty impressed with Assad, he took on a really good guy in Venz, and came away with the victory. I guess the back story on Assad would be what are the Brands Bros, going to do with Cash Wilcke, and Nelson Brands. 

Eric Schultz knocking off Jacob Warner has to be a big feather in his cap, where as a source of heartburn for Coach Brands. 

However, even though the Cornhuskers lost this dual, I like the guys that they have, I think Ridge Lovett might be able to make some headway at the Big Ten's, and maybe the NCAA's. Chad Red, I think has an excellent chance at becoming an AA again. Then you have a stretch in the Husker's line up that all have quality people that are ranked, Purinton, Robb, White, Labriola, Venz, Schultz, and Lance. So my point is that even though the Huskers lost last night, I expect to see quite a few of these guys to AA at the end of the year. 

The Schultz win over Warner shouldn't be shocking. He had Warner dead to rights at Big Tens last year and completely blew it, giving up 3 takedowns to lose. He's big and physical and matches Warner's handfight (and in last night's case exceeds it). That match will always be close.

19 hours ago, ionel said:

There are no stall calls that count against Iowa in CHA, that's just the rules.  If Marinelli were wearing a different color would've been called for stalling on top.

You are wrong proven by the fact that Iowa was rode the entire third period resulting in no stalls for top at 133..  

Edited by HoundedHawk

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

The Schultz win over Warner shouldn't be shocking. He had Warner dead to rights at Big Tens last year and completely blew it, giving up 3 takedowns to lose. He's big and physical and matches Warner's handfight (and in last night's case exceeds it). That match will always be close.

Im not surprised by this match. However, I dont see Schultz winning at Big10 or the NCAAs. That wouldnt be the Nebraska way.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, VakAttack said:

Refs have consistently not called the leg stalling call when in the standing position.  It is infuriating, but consistent.

With regards to Desanto, he wasn't super active, but neither was Lovett.  He was totally content to ride out.  He'd get Desanto flat, bar an arm, Desanto would base up, rinse and repeat.  He never actually left Desanto's hips or tried to turn him.

Warner is gassing, getting ready for a classic Warner finish, either a win where he screams loudly, or he comes off the mat screaming about something being wrong with him.

I can agree with this re: DeSanto/Lovett.  I think Marinelli could’ve certainly been called for “regular stalling” though.  

BTW Desanto is great but I did get a laugh out of the facemush from Lovett. 

On 1/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, russelscout said:

My theory is that he has always been stronger and more physical than everyone else to a point where he could just blow through his opponent. Now that he is in college and maybe slightly undersized he cant do it so he has no confidence in himself to get to the leg and finish.

I thonk you are completely correct. I also think he's a better freestyler right now.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I can agree with this re: DeSanto/Lovett.  I think Marinelli could’ve certainly been called for “regular stalling” though.  

BTW Desanto is great but I did get a laugh out of the facemush from Lovett. 

Re: Marinelli, I assume this is during the riding portion of the second period?  I'll be honest, I didn't see much of the Marinelli match, my newborn was flipping out and I was tring to soothe her from the end of intermission until about halfway thru 174.I saw Marinelli get taken down, I saw that he was rode him out, and I saw him get his own TD, but only in general.

30 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Re: Marinelli, I assume this is during the riding portion of the second period?  I'll be honest, I didn't see much of the Marinelli match, my newborn was flipping out and I was tring to soothe her from the end of intermission until about halfway thru 174.I saw Marinelli get taken down, I saw that he was rode him out, and I saw him get his own TD, but only in general.

Yeah what you described was pretty much all the action.   Between the second when I believe White chose down and in the 3rd after Marinelli got a TD he rode for about 3.5 minutes without attempting a single turn.  Of course the Iowa bench was yelling for stalling on White despite him getting to his feet maybe 4 times before ultimately getting out with short time remaining in the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah what you described was pretty much all the action.   Between the second when I believe White chose down and in the 3rd after Marinelli got a TD he rode for about 3.5 minutes without attempting a single turn.  Of course the Iowa bench was yelling for stalling on White despite him getting to his feet maybe 4 times before ultimately getting out with short time remaining in the 3rd.

I wrote in another thread, but since you engaged me on this, I'll come here, too.  After rewatching the match in full, I think what protected Marinelli from the call is that he was on his toes and off White's hips throughout, but I think I probably would have hit Marinelli for stalling with about 30 seconds to go in period 2.  When the bottom wrestler stands up and you return him, that protects you from the stall call.