Sign in to follow this  
P3terMueller

How to get a shollarship for wrestling when i live in germany at age 19 ?

6 minutes ago, P3terMueller said:

Is it possible to get a sholarship when im from germany and when yes at wich school ? I will wrestle from juli of the year at the brandenbur liga and i am german amateur champion at  mma. Thanks for the awnsers. 

Yes it’s possible but you have to be accepted to a school based on your academics. I believe you’ll also have to take some English as a second language courses to qualify for admission.

If your goal is to get a wrestling scholarship, build up your freestyle credentials.  That is the international style closest to the US collegiate style.  With respect to the school - we see very few international wrestlers enroll directly in one of the top wrestling schools.  We see many international wrestlers enroll in the Junior Colleges.  After a couple of years at a Junior College, some of those continue and have a great deal of success at the top flight wrestling schools.    Best of luck!

Can you not get a wrestling scholarship in Germany? They have good participation in world events and travel well- they're a second tier wrestling country. One (meaning me) would think if you have potential you'd have a better chance of achieving this in your home country? Thoughts?

Just start contacting some coaches at schools you may be interested in and show them some highlight videos and your accomplishments. I would look for schools that have experience with international student athletes. Not sure what level you are interested in, but off the top of my head, I know that American University has had several at the Div. 1 level. 

5 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

Can you not get a wrestling scholarship in Germany? They have good participation in world events and travel well- they're a second tier wrestling country. One (meaning me) would think if you have potential you'd have a better chance of achieving this in your home country? Thoughts?

Uhh... pretty sure the relationship that US colleges have with their sports programs is peculiar. 

9 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

The US is pretty much the only country with athletic scholarships.  

I like the idea of recruiting internationally - it could bring greater parity across D1 programs and maybe improve US wrestlers’ freestyle (or greco) and develop overseas relationships on the RTC or club side. It’s just too bad that the D1 athletic scholarship opportunities aren’t more attractive.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

I like the idea of recruiting internationally - it could bring greater parity across D1 programs and maybe improve US wrestlers’ freestyle (or greco) and develop overseas relationships on the RTC or club side. It’s just too bad that the D1 athletic scholarship opportunities aren’t more attractive.

I am really fascinated with this potential.  It's not that there aren't a lot of good wrestlers, but it would be like unearthing all this hidden potential.  Maybe getting the top U18 Belarusian is a way to get better talent than the 10th best American coming out of high school that you have a shot at getting.

5 hours ago, MonagFam said:

I am really fascinated with this potential.  It's not that there aren't a lot of good wrestlers, but it would be like unearthing all this hidden potential.  Maybe getting the top U18 Belarusian is a way to get better talent than the 10th best American coming out of high school that you have a shot at getting.

It is a great idea, but international students don't have it easy when applying to universities in the United States. The amount of paperwork, proving income and ability to pay for that education, plus visas, and having your transcripts analyzed (this isn't done by universities, but for-profit companies across the US) isn't anything close to any overnight process.

None of this is to mention that colleges and universities in the U.S. cost money. For many of these really good kids, wrestling is an opportunity to make money at that age, if your talent level is there. Furthermore, for the really, really good guys coming from some of these top tier nations, they don't have use for a degree in finance or psychology from an U.S. university, because they'll have work lined up for them within the sport or some government gig, a la Fadzaev, Karelin, Jadidi, etc.

7 hours ago, pamela said:

There's 2 major problems with recruiting wrestlers internationally.

One is that you're recruiting somebody who will cost you a lot of money for a non revenue sport.  Basketball and football can afford it to an extent because those sports generate a ton of money, and even US guys recruited don't pan out sometimes.  With wrestling the comparatively smaller roster combined with the non revenue status, if you recruit somebody and give them a full scholarship and they don't pan out, you're screwed.  The second part of that is most wrestlers in Europe and Asia get paid.  You don't wrestle for free, whether it's for a club, the military, etc.  Most wrestlers earn enough money to be somewhat comfortable.  Asking them to trade that for not getting paid, needing to attend class, maintain a certain GPA and not able to work or make money on their own really sounds stupid.  Another thing is that a university education isn't anywhere near expensive as it is in the states, for some schools it is, but most it isn't much more than tuition at a community college or less.  So if it's pursuit of a college education then that isn't that big of a draw, unless somebody really wants to come here.  If you wrestle in a country like Bulgaria, and you make enough wrestling to meet your needs plus a little extra, and have the promise that if you medal at certain tournaments you'll get even more, possibly a pension for life, coming to the US to wrestle for no money doesn't sound that appealing.  We do get guys who come here, like Jesus Wilson or that guy Oklahoma State had a few years ago, but you aren't going to lure away much top talent from Europe or Asia to compete here in college.  You might get guys who are around 4th or 5th on the ladder who get bored or have political issues with their federation, but the top dogs at any age level aren't leaving.

16 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

There's 2 major problems with recruiting wrestlers internationally.

One is that you're recruiting somebody who will cost you a lot of money for a non revenue sport.  Basketball and football can afford it to an extent because those sports generate a ton of money, and even US guys recruited don't pan out sometimes.  With wrestling the comparatively smaller roster combined with the non revenue status, if you recruit somebody and give them a full scholarship and they don't pan out, you're screwed.  The second part of that is most wrestlers in Europe and Asia get paid.  You don't wrestle for free, whether it's for a club, the military, etc.  Most wrestlers earn enough money to be somewhat comfortable.  Asking them to trade that for not getting paid, needing to attend class, maintain a certain GPA and not able to work or make money on their own really sounds stupid.  Another thing is that a university education isn't anywhere near expensive as it is in the states, for some schools it is, but most it isn't much more than tuition at a community college or less.  So if it's pursuit of a college education then that isn't that big of a draw, unless somebody really wants to come here.  If you wrestle in a country like Bulgaria, and you make enough wrestling to meet your needs plus a little extra, and have the promise that if you medal at certain tournaments you'll get even more, possibly a pension for life, coming to the US to wrestle for no money doesn't sound that appealing.  We do get guys who come here, like Jesus Wilson or that guy Oklahoma State had a few years ago, but you aren't going to lure away much top talent from Europe or Asia to compete here in college.  You might get guys who are around 4th or 5th on the ladder who get bored or have political issues with their federation, but the top dogs at any age level aren't leaving.

1 hour ago, Tofurky said:

It is a great idea, but international students don't have it easy when applying to universities in the United States. The amount of paperwork, proving income and ability to pay for that education, plus visas, and having your transcripts analyzed (this isn't done by universities, but for-profit companies across the US) isn't anything close to any overnight process.

None of this is to mention that colleges and universities in the U.S. cost money. For many of these really good kids, wrestling is an opportunity to make money at that age, if your talent level is there. Furthermore, for the really, really good guys coming from some of these top tier nations, they don't have use for a degree in finance or psychology from an U.S. university, because they'll have work lined up for them within the sport or some government gig, a la Fadzaev, Karelin, Jadidi, etc.

Thanks for both of your replies.  I don't think I considered all that it entails from the international perspective.  What I initially thought about was soccer where there are a lot of international athletes in colleges throughout the US.  That said, it's a huge sport internationally, even if not from a US collegiate perspective, and there are probably lots more opportunities.

2 hours ago, MonagFam said:

Thanks for both of your replies.  I don't think I considered all that it entails from the international perspective.  What I initially thought about was soccer where there are a lot of international athletes in colleges throughout the US.  That said, it's a huge sport internationally, even if not from a US collegiate perspective, and there are probably lots more opportunities.

Soccer is a much different situation because there are a variety of professional leagues in Europe.  Maybe you aren't good enough and can't catch on with a club so you come to the US and refine your game in college then go back to Europe in a year or two.  The US is slowly catching up to Europe, but the average European high school kid is probably going to be talented enough to play college level here.  With wrestling there aren't many ways to make a living besides wrestling for your club or country.  If you choose to not wrestle for your club or country you're kind of limited unless you can defect to wrestle somewhere else that actually puts money into wrestling, and of the countries that do take wrestling seriously, you're unlikely to find them willing to pay someone to defect unless it's a situation like Qatar or Bahrain wanting to beef up their Olympic potential, or a country that has had no luck in developing somebody at a certain weight or something like that.  I know countries that aren't even wrestling powers pay their top wrestlers pretty generously.  

On 1/20/2020 at 9:34 PM, olddirty said:

Post some videos of you wrestling.  Most college coaches know right away if you can get a scholarship at at least the JC level just by watching you.  I know I can

Forget the coaches, we already have enough experts on this board! :)

12 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Forget the coaches, we already have enough experts on this board! :)

Not an expert or claim to be.  But I do know that foreign wrestlers who come here are surprised that even the top guys don't make much from wrestling.  In some places in Europe they think Americans get paid so well but they're pretty shocked at how little if anything guys make to wrestle here.  They think everyone gets Kyle Snyder or Jordan Burroughs kind of money.