Sign in to follow this  
P3terMueller

How to get a shollarship for wrestling when i live in germany at age 19 ?

22 hours ago, pamela said:

How many years of D1 eligibility would you expect Steinforth to have if he enrolls this fall?

It depends a lot what he has been doing since hs.. Fila database says and like someone other wrote here that he spent some time in military. I think if he has gone straight from hs to military he might get all the eligibility years but if he just hanged around after hs a couple of years and then went to military I think he will lose some years. Also if he has done some studying already back home after hs I think he will lose some years.

10 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

It's pretty rare that American colleges get top level foreigners coming here.  I can't think of any time that somebody who made a world team for their country where wrestling is a serious sport, like they produce world and Olympic medalists fairly routinely, has come here to wrestle in college.  Maybe the Finnish guy who wrestled for Campbell? Like somebody said, the guys who come here are usually failed athletes in their country.  If they weren't, they would be training to break through and make their country's world or Olympic team.  Gelagoev wasn't anywhere near the top in Russia. Hetag Pliev came here in high school, went back to Russia and wasn't anywhere near making a world team, so he went to Canada.  I wouldn't call this guy a lightning rod, but I'd be surprised if he had more than 2 seasons of eligibility.  

You are right that guys like Sadulaev or Akgul probably wouldn`t come to college in US. But I also think that many very good Eastern European countries guys would like to come in US if the just know how. Problem is that they do not have any connections and most of them do not speak English. So it is very difficult for them. Especially when you should do that in young age while you are in hs 16-19 years old. And once you are older in most of times it is already too late to come to college . I think that many foreigners does not really understand how the NCAA system works..   But I would bet if some college coach would start visiting countries like Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey or even Russia. They would find a lot of top guys who would be ready to leave to US if they would get scholarship just because they know life will be better there..

5 hours ago, CUW said:

You are right that guys like Sadulaev or Akgul probably wouldn`t come to college in US. But I also think that many very good Eastern European countries guys would like to come in US if the just know how. Problem is that they do not have any connections and most of them do not speak English. So it is very difficult for them. Especially when you should do that in young age while you are in hs 16-19 years old. And once you are older in most of times it is already too late to come to college . I think that many foreigners does not really understand how the NCAA system works..   But I would bet if some college coach would start visiting countries like Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey or even Russia. They would find a lot of top guys who would be ready to leave to US if they would get scholarship just because they know life will be better there..

That's a laugh.  Wrestlers in Eastern Europe get paid.  If they didn;t, they wouldn't be doing it.  My girlfriend wrestled there and when she arrived here and was at the OTC, she was very surprised to learn that American wrestlers who were trying to make an Olympic or World team mostly had jobs, working as waitresses or something else so they could train.  If those types of wrestlers came here and figured that out, they wouldn't stay very long.  A few have and do, but it makes no sense for them to give up regular income to travel here and wrestle for free basically.  You wouldn't get top guys, you would get guys who aren't good enough to break into the top 5 or even top 10 in the country and figure that coming here is an easier way out.  Aside from that, there are numerous other issues, like incompatible academics, language barriers, etc.