okwrestle

Olympic Weights question

40 minutes ago, okwrestle said:

What is the IOCs rationale for only having 6 weights?  Why not have the same # as the World 's. ?

Makes no sense to me and deprives worthy athletes and wrestling fans. 

Their rationale was saving face.

The wanted to eliminate wrestling altogether. A few years back having 6 weights was seen as a giant victory.

Equity in weights between men and women, along with two bronze medals and no seeded brackets gives non-traditional power nations opportunities to grow the sport and keep the sport relevant across the globe. Not all of this happened at once, but the rationale is there.

7 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Equity in weights between men and women, along with two bronze medals and no seeded brackets gives non-traditional power nations opportunities to grow the sport and keep the sport relevant across the globe. Not all of this happened at once, but the rationale is there.

Theres no good rationale for only having six weights. Its flat out ridiculous. It's all a money grab for the IOC

21 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Olympic brackets won't be seeded? Are you sure? I thought top 4 were to be seeded. What is the point of ranking series events if there will be no seeding?

Edited by Crash

The cutting of weight classes to me provides an incomplete representation of our favorite sport on the worlds biggest stage.  Given the larger bell curve for weight among men and the size of the population of male wrestlers vs women participants, it really makes no sense to have an equal number of weight classes.  In my opinion however, the bigger travesty is the way they selected which weight classes they would include.  Any rational approach would necessarily have realigned Olympic weights using different weight classes that exist in non Olympic years.  By reducing the number of weight classes without redistributing them, you give an advantage to those wrestlers whose natural weights fall more in line with those selected.  When you hear people disparage “non Olympic” weights in World Championships etc, this is a core problem.  IMO, this is a problem because non Olympic years are the norm (ie 3/4 of the sport).  While i hate the reduction to 6, any rational system would have a completely different set of olympic weights falling somewhere in the middle of non olympic year weights.  This would a) force every wrestler to move up or down for olympics and b) spread the competition more evenly in non olympic years as there would be no olympic weights in non olympic years.

58 minutes ago, Crash said:

Olympic brackets won't be seeded? Are you sure? I thought top 4 were to be seeded. What us point of ranking series events if there will be no seeding?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

They will be seeded top 4 just like you thought

10 hours ago, Crash said:

Olympic brackets won't be seeded? Are you sure? I thought top 4 were to be seeded. What is the point of ranking series events if there will be no seeding?

No, I am not sure. I remember FILA/UWW/IOC originally did NOT do that in effort to not have every bracket be a mix of seeds featuring Russia, Azerbaijan, Iran, USA, and three, maybe four other wrestling "powers", such Japan, Cuba, Georgia or Turkey. No seeding gave medal opportunities to the Indias, Puerto Ricos, and a few other Latin American nations that historically had little to no success on the highest stage.

Edited by Tofurky
Spelling

22 hours ago, BTC said:

Theres no good rationale for only having six weights. Its flat out ridiculous. It's all a money grab for the IOC

I do not disagree, but remember, as late as the 2012 games, men's Free and GR had seven weights each, while women had only four weights being contested. While the sport didn't lose weights or medals, they were spread more evenly across the three "styles".

Personally, I'd love to see every style have 10 weights, and two bronzes, if we must. Then again, I wish the NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA would all adopt Free and GR. *shrug*

Edited by Tofurky
Fat fingers

2 hours ago, Tofurky said:

I do not disagree, but remember, as late as the 2012 games, men's Free and GR had seven weights each, while women had only four weights being contested. While the sport didn't lose weights or medals, they were spread more evenly across the three "styles".

Personally, I'd love to see every style have 10 weights, and two bronzes, if we must. Then again, I wish the NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA would all adopt Free and GR. *shrug*

I'm all for giving women more weights, who wouldnt be but it's still damn ridiculous that there are only six weight classes that cover a range of about 160lbs. What happens if they add women's Greco? Are they gonna chop it down to 4 weights? 

Edited by BTC

It's my understanding that the current cap is on the number of wrestlers, not on the number of weight classes.  I think there are 20 wrestlers per bracket, multiplied by 18 weight classes, that makes 360 wrestlers.

They could add more weight classes by reducing the size of the brackets, but they don't want to do this because that would result in fewer countries represented. It's similar to the reason they have 2 bronzes: they want more counties getting medals.  Not only does the medal diversity make the sport look better, but it also keeps countries in the game that might otherwise defund or drop the sport altogether.