moveurfeet32

David Taylor...Great announcer

I just watched the 133 pound match and skimmed some of the rest (the whole dual is up on youtube).  I thought Taylor was very good for a beginner, better than most of the professionals already.

He gave good, straightforward commentary and insight.

The thing I liked the best was his manner.  He was calm, didn't talk when he didn't have something to say, and was generally understated -- understanding that this is a visual medium and that viewers can best enjoy a great match like RBY-Alvarez by just watching it. 

No long stories (once he got caught finishing a thought when a scramble started and basically apologized); a quick deflection of the PBP announcer's flattery about how Alvarez said Taylor was a hero; no screaming, even when RBY hit the winning takedown he let the action speak for itself and offered brief complimentary thoughts about the match.

Good stuff.

If there is one thing consistent about sports fans everywhere, it is that whoever is announcing the game/match is terrible and needs to be replaced. Joe Buck stinks. Booger is awful. Johnny Miller is horrible. It goes on and on. I love listening to the home calls and SiriusXM of NFL games. You will never hear terrible, biased announcing like you hear there. They make every national guy sound great (except for Booger).

Edited by JeanGuy

Yes he spoke a little much but it's the first time I can remember him being a color commentator so let's cut him a little slack. Unbiased, intelligent commentary and not afraid to tackle some tough issues. Most importantly to me when a guy is in on a shot he's not screaming like an idiot. Nothing drives me more insane than screaming "OH MY GOD HE'S GOT A LEG." Christ! For the first time out I'll take him every single time over Tim Smith, Robles, Shane Sparks, Quint Kessenich on and on and on and on and on. Whether you're a Penn State fan or not, and I'm not, Taylor is a good dude, not perfect, knows his wrestling, is still competing at a high level and also has a huge internet following. I'm not 100% sure but I would think that's probably good for a few more eyeballs on the duals as opposed to somebody we don't know. I'll get off of his jockstrap now

I’m pretty sure Taylor has done color before, maybe at nationals? He is a good dude but he tends to think out loud. Even when he was in college someone would ask him a simple yes/no Q and it would be a 5 minute response.

I kind of think Anthony Robles is the gold standard. He is awesome. But my dream is for Bill Walton to one day call a wrestling match, lol.

I will try to watch more but in the 133 match and the snippets I saw beyond that I thought he and his partner talked far LESS than the usual suspects who do ESPN/NCAAs, BTN, and Flo. There is almost never more than two seconds or so when those people aren't talking and it's usually pablum with them, with lots more screaming and without as much insight as from Taylor. I was prepared to not like his announcing because I'm not crazy about him but I thought he was better than most of the usual announcers. 

DT did a pretty solid job commentating, but my issue with the wrestling commentators, in general, is that they do not have a full and good understanding of the rules. DT made a comment during the 133 bout during a challenged TD call, that "there is no reaction time in college wrestling." That is absolutely NOT true. There is reaction time in every single situation except two:

1. Locked hands on the mat when in the offensive position

2. Rear Standing Hand Touch situation from neutral position

The referees get a bad rep because of comments like that. In my opinion, anyone who is going to regularly commentate on college wrestling should be required to attend rules clinics and, perhaps, even pass the NCAA Officials exam each year.

2 minutes ago, OfficialObserver said:

DT did a pretty solid job commentating, but my issue with the wrestling commentators, in general, is that they do not have a full and good understanding of the rules. DT made a comment during the 133 bout during a challenged TD call, that "there is no reaction time in college wrestling." That is absolutely NOT true. There is reaction time in every single situation except two:

1. Locked hands on the mat when in the offensive position

2. Rear Standing Hand Touch situation from neutral position

The referees get a bad rep because of comments like that. In my opinion, anyone who is going to regularly commentate on college wrestling should be required to attend rules clinics and, perhaps, even pass the NCAA Officials exam each year.

There was a match last week with a textbook danger/2 call after which the announcers spent the entire rest of the match arguing that it wasn't a takedown (which it clearly wasn't). 

I think it was a student team not a network broadcast so not overly alarming but anyone watching the match who didn't know the rule and to just ignore them would have thought the result of the match was a travesty. 

I for the life of me can't remember which match. My doctor assures me this is not a cognitive problem but rather having too much knowledge accumulated. 

12 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Taylor would definitely beat Dake in a broadcaster match.

Not sure if you watch college basketball or not, but I could definitely see Dake having a little Bill Walton in him. Conversation could start with the match and wrestling and then next thing you know Dake is talking about how the sun rises 6 degrees higher in the east so in New York mitochondria in your body powers cells better there. 

Edited by goheels1812

3 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Not sure if you watch college basketball or not, but I could definitely see Dake having a little Bill Walton in him. Conversation could start with the match and wrestling and then next thing you know Dake is talking about how the sun rises 6 degrees higher in the east so in New York mitochondria in your body powers cells better there. 

YES, I would love this!!!

Not a Taylor fan, but I thought he did a nice job in announcing the dual.  A bit talkative but was knowledgeable, positive, and came across fairly unbiased.

I would prefer him over the majority of announcers I have endured over the years.

I hope he does some more of this in the future.

Edited by Show_Me

16 hours ago, pamela said:

I’m a DT fan but yah, sign him up for a broadcast communications class pls

what an idiotic thing to say about such a talented individual. Give the guy a break. He did a great job and it appears the majority of viewers seem to agree. Congrats DT for all your success!