Lurker

Current top three

Just my current thoughts on what final OTT and national team would look like if we were “in the week”. (Plus wanted to write it down so I can come back when we really are in the week, see if I’d make any changes, and if not how it turns out). 

57: Lee, Gilman, Fix. With Gilman and Fix I’m really just going by who won the last match. And I think Gilman will be in last chance mode and will give him a slight edge. 

65: JO, Yianni, Zain. This is really just a toss up. Yianni and Zain, even before their “second” match I’ve felt like no matter what that result was Yianni was going to catch him and create a small amount of separation by OTT. JO just looks really good right now. 

74: JB, Dake, Imar. I feel like Imar is going to seperate from the rest with his training in Russia, but he’s still going to have to wait a year. Next cycle he may be a monster. JB/Dake, man this is a tough one and an interesting one. I’ve just felt like JB is really going to close this out, even with taking the losses to Sadikov. I don’t think JB has lost as much as some others seem to. I think Sadikov is just really really good, and we’re talking split second difference between bronze and gold. I just feel like this is when it REALLY counts (6 gold 2 Olympics) and he’s going to find a way to get it done. The adjustments are there for him. 

86: Cox,Taylor,Zahid... Wild guess between Cox and Taylor. Solely basing of the last version of each we’ve seen. And it’s razor thin. I think Zahid much in the same position as Imar, start to create separation from rest of field but having to wait.  

97: Snyder, Bo, Gadsen: Don’t really have much to say on this one. 

125: Steveson, Gwiz,?????  Gable was real close last year and I think the turbulence of the past year will recharge and refocus, and it’ll be enough to take that next step. Third....I just really don’t know. It’s kind of an on any given day. 

Let the fun begin...

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just my current thoughts on what final OTT and national team would look like if we were “in the week”. (Plus wanted to write it down so I can come back when we really are in the week, and if not how it turns out). 

57: Lee, Gilman, Fix. With Gilman and Fix I’m really just going by who won the last match. And I think Gilman will be in last chance mode and will give him a slight edge. 

65: JO, Yianni, Zain. This is really just a toss up. Yianni and Zain, even before their “second” match I’ve felt like no matter what that result was Yianni was going to catch him and create a small amount of separation by OTT. JO just looks really good right now. 

74: JB, Dake, Imar. I feel like Imar is going to seperate from the rest with his training in Russia, but he’s still going to have to wait a year. Next cycle he may be a monster. JB/Dake, man this is a tough one and an interesting one. I’ve just felt like JB is really going to close this out, even with taking the losses to Sadikov. I don’t think JB has lost as much as some others seem to. I think Sadikov is just really really good, and we’re talking split second difference between bronze and gold. I just feel like this is when it REALLY counts (6 gold 2 Olympics) and he’s going to find a way to get it done. The adjustments are there for him. 

86: Cox,Taylor,Zahid... Wild guess between Cox and Taylor. Solely basing of the last version of each we’ve seen. And it’s razor thin. I think Zahid much in the same position as Imar, start to create separation but having to wait.  

97: Cox, Bo, Gadsen: Don’t really have much to say on this one. 

125: Steveson, Gwiz,?????  Gable was real close last year and I think the turbulence of the past year will recharge and refocus, and it’ll be enough to take that next step. Third....I just really don’t know. It’s kind of an on any given day. 

Let the fun begin...

No snyder at 97? He can at least be gadsen for sure. Other than that, I agree with a lot of it

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just my current thoughts on what final OTT and national team would look like if we were “in the week”. (Plus wanted to write it down so I can come back when we really are in the week, and if not how it turns out). 

86: Cox,Taylor,Zahid... Wild guess between Cox and Taylor. Solely basing of the last version of each we’ve seen. And it’s razor thin. I think Zahid much in the same position as Imar, start to create separation but having to wait.  

97: Cox, Bo, Gadsen: Don’t really have much to say on this one. 

Let the fun begin...

Don’t have much to say on 97.  Poor Snyder.  You’ve given up on him already

And Cox has been cloned!

otherwise, nice work.

Edited by nom

3 minutes ago, nom said:

Don’t have much to say on 97.  Poor Snyder.  You’ve given up on him already

And Cox has been cloned!

otherwise, nice work.

Oh ****!! Too funny. Yeah meant Snyder. I will fix that. Thanks. 

Your Top 3 is pretty tight/solid.  No glaring issues... If you don't mind, I'll add a darkhorse to each weight:

57kg - Gross.  His style, including that little knee pinch dump that gives the cheap 2, is something to watch out for.

65kg - Mckenna.  His recent results place him right on the outside, looking in, and could snag a win with the right conditions from the top 3 (already has)

74kg - Nolf.  If healthy (actually healthy), I think he could make it competitive, and he's the best of the rest.

86kg - MyMar.  With his win over Ringer, he established himself in Tier 2, and is the literal definition of "darkhorse"

97kg - Moore.  Kollin is closing the gap on Zillmer, and I think he's officially 'better' than Gadsen.  

HWT - Parris.  I think he's improving at a faster rate than anyone else at this weight, and will be considered #3 very soon, and not just "darkhorse".

Before Rome, I would not put Zahid in the top three.  He really impresses.  He seems to be one of those that gets it done when it counts.  I guess we'll see.  I agree he appears to be the future.   

mspart

Just a little tweaking to OP;

57 - Lee, Gilman, Fix ........ Fix seems to have forgotten his offense. Gilman's era will fade in Iowa.

65 - Yianni, JO, Zain....... this could depend somewhat on seeds. Just have a gut feeling that we will see Yianni at a new level.

74 - Dake, JB, Imar........IMar has brought himself into the conversation. I think JB may have lost that tiny bit to open the door for Dake.

86 - Cox, Taylor, Zahid...... Tough call for Taylor after the injury. Also, tough call on the cut for Cox. Zahid caught up with Ringer in Rome, how will Ringer respond?

97 - Snyder, Bo, Gadsen ........ Seems like a 2 horse race from the same stable but neither looked special in Rome.

125 - Gwiz, Steveson, Nelson .......... I hear Gable is good and and would like to see live evidence. it looks like Gwiz is on the wrong side of the mountain but may hang on for a final go.

57: Lee, Fix, Gilman. I assume Lee and Gilman will both be on the bottom of the bracket as 2 and 3 seeds.

65: Yianni, JO, Zain. This is a bracket matchup. Yianni beats JO, JO beats Zain, Zain beats Yianni, McKenna enjoys 4th place.

74: JB, Dake, Imar. 

86: Cox*, Ringer, Taylor, Bo*, Zahid. There's always an upset right? Well I'm taking Ringer over Taylor as the upset this time around. And I would love to see Bo/Zahid - my gut says Bo but Zahid has the style that can beat Bo. Bring your sunglasses for all the fireworks if Taylor, Zahid, and/ or Bo meet up. Or maybe Bo forfeits again if he runs into DT on the bracket

97: Snyder, Cox*, Bo*, Moore. Unless Bo forfeits again.

125: Gwiz, Bradley, Steveson. Would have put Cassar as the 2 depending on more folk results. Uncertainty with his recovery and how that will affect his strength, cardio, and potential mat rust makes me hesitant to go with him if he even shows up. Real shame what happened because I was recently converted into a believer. 

21 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

86: Cox*, Ringer, Taylor, Bo*, Zahid. There's always an upset right? Well I'm taking Ringer over Taylor as the upset this time around.

What makes you think that? I’m not making any judgment on the prediction, just curious why Ringer matches up well with DT in your eyes. 

Such a shame for the US that Cox and Taylor will likely be at the same weight - the #1 and #2 P4P US FS wrestlers right now in my opinion. Sharipov moved from 86kg to 97kg very successfully, Cox was huge at 92kg and didn't have a great record at 86kg, and Snyder is currently more of a weakness at 97kg than DT is at 86kg - so I would have preferred Cox to move to 97kg.

But with my Iran hat on, Yazdani has a much better shot at beating Cox than DT, so I don't mind. 

No one beats DT other than Cox.

Edited by The Genius

23 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

What makes you think that? I’m not making any judgment on the prediction, just curious why Ringer matches up well with DT in your eyes. 

Before I had seen Ringer not do well with the increased weight, I thought he had a good chance.
He's just a solid guy, holds solid position, and has his solid attacks. He's definitely not as defensive as Dake, and we've seen Zahid's lightening quick offense surprise him before, but overall neither of those guys are Taylor, who doesnt have the best neutral attacks,  doesn't have the best defense, and really depends on either his gas tank or getting to those "wrestling positions" most guys at this weight aren't comfortable with.
I really thought, if Ringer stays conservative, gets to his attacks and finishes quickly (as he normally does) he has a chance here.

However after watching him up a weight, it feels like no chance.
His strength isn't as much a weapon as it once was, he's not going to power Taylor out of rollie pollie positions. And he doesn't seem like he is moving as much (maybe not as quick) and I can see Taylor doing what he does and just diving in and forcing those "wrestling positions" he wins every-time.

I'm the biggest Ringer fan out there, but whether its Cox, who is just a bigger, stronger, faster, version of Dake (who has Alex's number)
or Taylor, who is all "funk" but strong heavy funk, I can't see Ringer giving either a run for their money at 86kg. He just doesn't have the horses.

Edited by spladle08

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He looks like a juiced Luke Pletcher with Samson curls. Nobody is more of a tweener, unfortunately. 74 kg with 2-hour weigh-ins, no way ever again.

The most unfortunately true solid comparison.
PS...  I think Luke Pletcher becomes a (wonderfully) surprisingly hard out at 65kg next year
I was surprised the matches he gave Eiermen last year. *Look Out*

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Mason Parris. He pretty much dominated his way to a JR title beating Irans #1 guy Zare. I would definitely take him over Nelson.  Like Treep said he seems to be improving at a fast rate and I see that trend continuing as he is still young and relatively inexperienced. 

8 minutes ago, BTC said:

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Mason Parris. He pretty much dominated his way to a JR title beating Irans #1 guy Zare. I would definitely take him over Nelson.  Like Treep said he seems to be improving at a fast rate and I see that trend continuing as he is still young and relatively inexperienced. 

He's a great wrestler, but that dump is only something you hit on people who aren't giving you credit for only having a dump.
No Doubt he is great, but just "not yet"

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Partly because there is always an upset, partly because Taylor isn't huge like some of the 86s that Ringer will face. They are close to the same size and that plays to Ringer's favor. Most importantly please do not discount the fact I went 10/10 on the last go-round picking the team, which I believe makes me the SME on these-here boards so what I say is gospel.

You can disregard my other prediction last year that Whitford was going to shock the world and make last year's world team. It didn't count.

Edited by bnwtwg

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Parris is good, but we will not know how good until he meets Steveson in folk and OTT in April. Could be BBQ, could be the champ. Definitely a dark horse in the race.

We have an indication of how good he is.

He pinned Zare of Iran in the first.

The same Zare that techfalled Gwiz a few months later in the first period.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

We have an indication of how good he is.

He pinned Zare of Iran in the first.

The same Zare that techfalled Gwiz a few months later in the first period.

I swear, I was so pumped when he pulled this off, but its haunting me in arguments now.
As I try to insist Zare is the next big thing and Parris isn't quite there yet.

I feel like all I'm hearing is: "But it's got what plants crave, it's go electrolytes"

Curses to you all

Edited by spladle08

1 minute ago, DuckFor2 said:

who saw the Zare/Parris match? was it domination to a fall or could the result be completely different next time? More than likely if they met again if could be different.

it was 1-1 and Parris short firemans (dumped) him to his back for the fall

Note* great win, I came unglued when it happened, but also I wish people would stop acting like he was up 7-0 and hit a sweet no touch duck, and worked him over for the fall....
It was just one of those things..... great win for USA but just not a great measuring stick.

I'm all for better talent in the USA at heavy, and he has definitely improved, but I would be significantly surprised if he became our rep. I can't see him finishing top 3 honestly

32 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Note* great win, I came unglued when it happened, but also I wish people would stop acting like he was up 7-0 and hit a sweet no touch duck, and worked him over for the fall....
It was just one of those things..... great win for USA but just not a great measuring stick.

I'm all for better talent in the USA at heavy, and he has definitely improved, but I would be significantly surprised if he became our rep. I can't see him finishing top 3 honestly

Well... perspective: Gwiz didn't score a single point on him.  Wasn't even close.