Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HuskerMac

DeSanto is in trouble!

Recommended Posts

Just now, HuskerMac said:

Who else think is was really interesting that he was rode the entire 3rd by Lovett? and Gross? Im betting he doesn't make the finals this year.... or win BIGs

He hasn’t done either of those things in the past has he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mokoma said:

He hasn’t done either of those things in the past has he?

No but being as he was the top ranked guy and is now the second ranked guy. The people doing those rankings are making the assumption he will make the finals. Im  saying if he doesn't improve on bottom hes in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

Who else think is was really interesting that he was rode the entire 3rd by Lovett? and Gross? Im betting he doesn't make the finals this year.... or win BIGs

Would it be a huge surprise if he didn't make the finals or won the Big10s? I don't think so. Him beating Gross and losing a tight one suggest that it's not impossible though. He may be ranked 2nd, but a win over Rivera has yet to be seen. I don't take too much from getting ridden by Lovett. Had he gotten turned? Maybe I change my mind here, but its nothing more than a moral victory for Lovett. He was never threatening to actually win the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, russelscout said:

Would it be a huge surprise if he didn't make the finals or won the Big10s? I don't think so. Him beating Gross and losing a tight one suggest that it's not impossible though. He may be ranked 2nd, but a win over Rivera has yet to be seen. I don't take too much from getting ridden by Lovett. Had he gotten turned? Maybe I change my mind here, but its nothing more than a moral victory for Lovett. He was never threatening to actually win the match.

I mean he was gonna turn him.. then a weird PD call happened. and DeSanto had his head on the mat pretty much the entire 3rd not really working to get out....no call. But the ref weren't calling alot that duel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HuskerMac said:

I mean he was gonna turn him.. then a weird PD call happened. and DeSanto had his head on the mat pretty much the entire 3rd not really working to get out....no call. But the ref weren't calling alot that duel.

Thats easy to say in hindsight that he was going to get turned, but its not like Desanto was actually on his blades. If he gets hit for stalling? Little changes. Lovett still isn't in the match. 

If you ask me, Desanto is still much improved on bottom. This is just a blip on the results of an impressive season so far. A big 10 wrestler is going to get pushed every week and they may not always live up to their ranking. Hell, Valencia barely beat Venz earlier this year. Is he in trouble because of that? I don't think so. Now if Desanto starts getting ridden like a mule week after week, I will be concerned, but at this point I don't see any reason to sound the alarm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He does need to improve on bottom, but I wouldn't say it is a glaring weakness. DeSanto's path to victory in most matches is on the feet and he is a guy that is likely to score multiple takedowns in a match. Getting ridden I don't know if anyone who has a shot of beating gross has a strategy that requires them to escape on bottom.

He did a pretty good job weathering the storm against Gross in the first match. In order to beat Gross, he needs to win on the feet. Gross came out aggressive on the feet in both matches. The difference being, in their first match, DeSanto got a stalemate after the first attempt and then dictated the pace on the feet thereafter. In the second match, Gross converted a quick takedown to backpoints and it was very difficult for DeSanto to come back after that (he still almost did). The path to victory against Gross is not giving up any takedowns and, of course, scoring his own.

I am impressed by Lovett and think he has a good chance to AA this year. Top is clearly his better position and the only shot he had to stay in the match with DeSanto, which is why he committed hard to working for a turn in the 3rd period. If Lovett is going to beat DeSanto, he is going to have to slow him down on the feet, because despite the solid ride, he wasn't really close to turning him and he didn't come off the hips until the very end of the period. I also believe that DeSanto felt Lovett's ability early in the 3rd period and realized it was risky to try to do too much on bottom. If he needed an escape in order to win the match, I suspect we would have seen him wrestle differently (not saying he would have definitely gotten out, but he would have taken more risks). 

Bottom line, guys can try to shorten the match by 2 minutes by riding DeSanto out, but they still need to stop him from scoring multiple takedowns in the other 5 minutes, or figure out how to score a takedown of their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Thats easy to say in hindsight that he was going to get turned, but its not like Desanto was actually on his blades. If he gets hit for stalling? Little changes. Lovett still isn't in the match. 

If you ask me, Desanto is still much improved on bottom. This is just a blip on the results of an impressive season so far. A big 10 wrestler is going to get pushed every week and they may not always live up to their ranking. Hell, Valencia barely beat Venz earlier this year. Is he in trouble because of that? I don't think so. Now if Desanto starts getting ridden like a mule week after week, I will be concerned, but at this point I don't see any reason to sound the alarm.

Im stating this is a trend happening when he faces guys that can ride. If DeSanto isnt gonna make the finals its because of this most likely. Guys are gonna see this  and take advantage of it. (Those who can that is.). ...........Lovett was in that match.. one turn for 4 and he wins. But he had to fight DeSantos stalling so....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

Im stating this is a trend happening when he faces guys that can ride. If DeSanto isnt gonna make the finals its because of this most likely. Guys are gonna see this  and take advantage of it. (Those who can that is.)

The fact that Desanto is a threat on his feet and has a weakness on bottom shouldn't be a surprise to anyone in the country at this point. It hasn't led to a complete downfall yet, and I don't expect it to.

 

4 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

.Lovett was in that match.. one turn for 4 and he wins. But he had to fight DeSantos stalling so....lol

If he would have gotten 15 TDs and a few back points Lovett could have gotten a tech too. We going to base a discussion on what could have happened but did not? 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russelscout said:

If he would have gotten 15 TDs and a few back points Lovett could have gotten a tech too. We going to base a discussion on what could have happened, but did not? 

You stating he wasn't in the match.. im stating he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HuskerMac said:

You stating he wasn't in the match.. im stating he was.

Been an awful lot of matches that had closer scores than 7-4 where one guy really didn't get close to winning. You are betting on the fact that a PD call not called would have been the difference. I don't see it. 10 times out of 10 Desanto beats Lovett. Do you really see it differently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Would it be a huge surprise if he didn't make the finals or won the Big10s? I don't think so. Him beating Gross and losing a tight one suggest that it's not impossible though. He may be ranked 2nd, but a win over Rivera has yet to be seen. I don't take too much from getting ridden by Lovett. Had he gotten turned? Maybe I change my mind here, but its nothing more than a moral victory for Lovett. He was never threatening to actually win the match.

I would say "wait until Gross exploits DeSanto's bottom game" however he has had opportunities. Interesting it was a true freshman (from IDAHO mind you) that rode him like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Been an awful lot of matches that had closer scores than 7-4 where one guy really didn't get close to winning. You are betting on the fact that a PD call not called would have been the difference. I don't see it. 10 times out of 10 Desanto beats Lovett. Do you really see it differently?

I do. Lovett is no sap... kinda amusing you think so

And considering he started to get leverage  to turn him yea the PD was a difference maker

Edited by HuskerMac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, rewatched Desanto-Lovett.  LOL at this thread.  A lot of sturm and drang for a a Nebraska wrestler who scored zero offensive points, and was never close.  The supposition regarding "about to be turned except for a bogus PD call" is laugh out loud funny.  And he's in trouble because of one less than stellar match that he comfortably, though not by bonus, won?  When he's already beaten the #1 guy in the country?

Onto Marinelli-White!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskerMac said:

Who else think is was really interesting that he was rode the entire 3rd by Lovett? and Gross? Im betting he doesn't make the finals this year.... or win BIGs

He was sick all day throwing up and even threw up after the match. Austin refused to sit out regardless.

Edited by Daybreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

I do. Lovett is no sap... kinda amusing you think so

And considering he started to get leverage  to turn him yea the PD was a difference maker

Amusing that I think Desanto is going to beat the guy who didn't score a TD or back points on? Hilarious. 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeSanto looked pretty good on bottom the first match against Gross.

I got the feeling against Lovett he wasn’t necessarily trying very hard to get out.  He would’ve needed another 2 TD’s to get the major, so IMO decided to just hang out on bottom instead, although I will say that sounds very un-DeSanto-like.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we really saying DeSanto is in trouble because he didn't get an escape in a situation that he DIDN'T NEED ONE to win???  I could see it if he actually needed to score from bottom and lost because he didn't.  But, he had a comfortable lead and coasted.  He is NOT the first top guy to do that and won't be the last....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

DeSanto looked pretty good on bottom the first match against Gross.

I got the feeling against Lovett he wasn’t necessarily trying very hard to get out.  He would’ve needed another 2 TD’s to get the major, so IMO decided to just hang out on bottom instead, although I will say that sounds very un-DeSanto-like.

 

 

 

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

Are we really saying DeSanto is in trouble because he didn't get an escape in a situation that he DIDN'T NEED ONE to win???  I could see it if he actually needed to score from bottom and lost because he didn't.  But, he had a comfortable lead and coasted.  He is NOT the first top guy to do that and won't be the last....................

Then he should have been hit for stalling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

 

Then he should have been hit for stalling. 

Look at the Marinelli vs. White thread.  I agree.  However, he didn't deserve the FIVE stalling calls that Lovett would have needed.  Simply put, you are pushing an agenda that wasn't there.  Lovett chose top down by a considerable margin against a guy that had created nearly ALL the action until that point.  Do you think Lovett deserved to win?  Seriously?

 

Come on.  DeSanto won that match comfortably and did what he needed to do to win.  All the criticism about his bottom wrestling holds little to no merit when he DID NOT need it to win.  If the score ended up 7-5 or even 7-6, due to stall calls closing the gap, I bet you would still be complaining....................

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HuskerMac said:

 

Then he should have been hit for stalling. 

Don’t necessarily disagree with you there, but Lovett wasn’t doing a whole lot either.  He had the bar(s) in but wasn’t really doing much with it IMO.  And he wasn’t close to turning DeSanto before it was stopped, although that was one of the few times he actually got out to the side.  His bar went up the shoulder and he was also on the opposite side of the bar so pressure could’ve been being applied against the normal range of motion.  Good PD call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Look at the Marinelli vs. White thread.  I agree.  However, he didn't deserve the FIVE stalling calls that Lovett would have needed.  Simply put, you are pushing an agenda that wasn't there.  Lovett chose top down by a considerable margin against a guy that had created nearly ALL the action until that point.  Do you think Lovett deserved to win?  Seriously?

 

Come on.  DeSanto won that match comfortably and did what he needed to do to win.  All the criticism about his bottom wrestling holds little to no merit when he DID NOT need it to win.  If the score ended up 7-5 or even 7-6, due to stall calls closing the gap, I bet you would still be complaining....................

Im not saying he deserved to win. DeSanto won the match BUT rules are rules and called need to be made when they should be. Shouldnt matter that the call wouldnt have made a difference. ....

The criticism does hold because I never saw Zain or Bo or Nolf or Zahid...Just chill on bottom for a whole period because they were up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

Im not saying he deserved to win. DeSanto won the match BUT rules are rules and called need to be made when they should be. Shouldnt matter that the call wouldnt have made a difference. ....

The criticism does hold because I never saw Zain or Bo or Nolf or Zahid...Just chill on bottom for a whole period because they were up..

Well Desanto is not those other guys. Maybe you need to change your expectations for him, but did you ever see Logan Stiebers 4th title?

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...