Sign in to follow this  
HuskerMac

DeSanto is in trouble!

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

I would say "wait until Gross exploits DeSanto's bottom game" however he has had opportunities. Interesting it was a true freshman (from IDAHO mind you) that rode him like that. 

He must have moved to Idaho very late in life.  No other explanation possible.

28 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Well they announced he was a 4x Idaho state champ 169-0 record, that sure sounds like he is from Idaho. 

I don't see that match as any sort of new template for beating DeSanto.  He takes neutral, you take top and ride him out without turning him, you net at most one riding time point, maybe a stall point with an aggressive ref, which he will usually negate and then some in the other five minutes on his feet.

The original post is correct that he might not make NCAA final or win BIg Ten.  That's because he has Gross (NCAA champ) and Rivera (Big Ten champ, 3rd NCAA, beat Lee 2×) in the way. 

Against them his relative weakness in mat wrestling is a factor in why either would probably be a slight favorite against him.  But he's really improved at that (two matches with Gross without being turned except for a fluky cradle with a really bad call, no way was that a 2 count) to the point where it isn't the big liability it used to be.  

He hit a good rider the other day and looked to me like he might have trained through the match too.  No alarm bells here I think.  

1 hour ago, drag it said:

I don't see that match as any sort of new template for beating DeSanto.  He takes neutral, you take top and ride him out without turning him, you net at most one riding time point, maybe a stall point with an aggressive ref, which he will usually negate and then some in the other five minutes on his feet.

The original post is correct that he might not make NCAA final or win BIg Ten.  That's because he has Gross (NCAA champ) and Rivera (Big Ten champ, 3rd NCAA, beat Lee 2×) in the way. 

Against them his relative weakness in mat wrestling is a factor in why either would probably be a slight favorite against him.  But he's really improved at that (two matches with Gross without being turned except for a fluky cradle with a really bad call, no way was that a 2 count) to the point where it isn't the big liability it used to be.  

He hit a good rider the other day and looked to me like he might have trained through the match too.  No alarm bells here I think.  

Fluky cradle by Gross!! I’ve heard it all now.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Well we have had a few notable guys. Not as many as say New Mexico or somewhere prominent like that.

DeSanto is very talented but his liability will always be his head.  If this were NCAAs he probably would have found his way out. 
The meltdown is coming.  I thought the way he handled himself after the ride was a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Fluky cradle by Gross!! I’ve heard it all now.

"a fluky cradle with a really bad call, no way was that a 2 count" was my full description.  Just rewatched and that holds up.

Not the usual Gross back points where he establishes total control and then turns.  Instead, DeSanto made a mistake, waited way too long to clear his arm, then got caught in a sitting position with his head down, about six inches from his inside knee, with his inside arm extended and behind him.  "Fluke" means "unlikely chance occurrence."  That's what DeSanto's goof of not bailing out after Gross had control was -- in fact, if you watch the replay (1:21 mark of the link below), Gross was noticeably surprised by what DeSanto was doing; he gives the ref a look and turns his left hand up in a questioning pose, not understanding what is going on and if the 2 has already been called why DeSanto is still reaching back.

And most importantly for the point I was trying to make (that DeSanto wrestled two matches with the best top point scorer in the country with no legit back points, thus his prior liability on bottom has gotten much better), it was a "really bad call."  Gross's control over the cradle (as opposed to the takedown) was questionable, fleeting at best; there wasn't a reasonable two count; DeSanto rolled straight through to the top of his head, balanced, then rolled through.

I was there, was rooting for Gross, and had a good luck at the cradle and the continuous roll through.  

3 hours ago, drag it said:

So I guess the strategy could be for those other 5 minutes to wrestle with your arm behind your back and hope you don’t get called for stalling, then take a shot with less than 20 seconds to go in the period...

With respect to DeSanto making the Big 10 finals,  besides Gross, Rivera, and land mines RBY and Alverez, looks like the 133 lb class has yet another tough competitor to take into consideration with  Michigan's  RS freshman Joey Silva who wrestled very well over the weekend. 

8 minutes ago, herma48852 said:

With respect to DeSanto making the Big 10 finals,  besides Gross, Rivera, and land mines RBY and Alverez, looks like the 133 lb class has yet another tough competitor to take into consideration with  Michigan's  RS freshman Joey Silva who wrestled very well over the weekend. 

Tucker. Don’t forget. Tucker beat Desanto two years ago. A lot has changed since then but Tucker has gotten better too and has a difficult style to figure out. 

25 minutes ago, herma48852 said:

I didn't see the Silva matches, did anyone see him live?    Knee jerk reaction is that a 3-2 victory over a .500 Maryland wrestler isn't a great result, but that's probably unfair given how much time he's missed. 

Edited by Gantry

I'm glad a husker fan was able to take a moral victory away here, but it was clear from the get go that Desanto did not have his usual pop and pace. What the reason was I don't know, but he was not his usual self. By the time the third period came around, you could tell he just wanted to get off the mat with a victory and just focused on holding his base. Also, he was never remotely close to being turned. 

He got away from Gross multiple times in their last match. If he needs to get away, he gets away. The only two matches he's been ridden in are the first Gross match (pretty clear he was just focused on protecting his lead and not making a mistake underneath) and this one where he looked sluggish the whole match.

Did anybody else see the extended conversation between him and one of the Brands bros on the mat before they started. That struck me right away as weird. Usually, he sprints to the center. From the start things were weird for him.

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Tucker. Don’t forget. Tucker beat Desanto two years ago. A lot has changed since then but Tucker has gotten better too and has a difficult style to figure out. 

If Chaz Tucker keeps Austin Desanto out of the Big 10 Finals, I will pay you $1 million dollars.

29 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If Chaz Tucker keeps Austin Desanto out of the Big 10 Finals, I will pay you $1 million dollars.

Maybe they could enter an Open tourney right before B1Gs and AD goes back to old form!

And it's Chas.  (I think Blair had it that way for some reason. I thought it was z too and I asked him last year)

Edited by gimpeltf

21 hours ago, HuskerMac said:

Who else think is was really interesting that he was rode the entire 3rd by Lovett? and Gross? Im betting he doesn't make the finals this year.... or win BIGs

Sheesh, this forum DOES have an edit option, HuskerMac.  Leaving that sentence be for 21 hours is like walking around with a green booger hanging out of your nostril.  You may want to reread your other posts too.  Take a little pride in how you express yourself.

15 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Cornell is in the Big 10?

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You’re late to that party. Vak already pointed that out. I wasn’t following the thread closely. Thought I’d read mention of nationals, not B1G. But yes, Cornell is in the B1G now. Keep up. 

Would you be more enticed if I made the wager in Rofkin tokens?

On 1/20/2020 at 12:02 PM, HuskerMac said:

I do. Lovett is no sap... kinda amusing you think so

And considering he started to get leverage  to turn him yea the PD was a difference maker

Are you 12 years old?

57 minutes ago, BLT said:

Are you 12 years old?

6 hours ago, MedicineMan said:

Sheesh, this forum DOES have an edit option, HuskerMac.  Leaving that sentence be for 21 hours is like walking around with a green booger hanging out of your nostril.  You may want to reread your other posts too.  Take a little pride in how you express yourself.

I mean is it really that big of a deal?  90 % of the people on this post knew what i meant and when on to have a constructive conversation. But NO you two have to be the dicks and point out that i had a few typing errors. WHOOPs my bad guys... Forgot most the people on here were English majors.

1 minute ago, HuskerMac said:

I mean is it really that big of a deal?  90 % of the people on this post knew what i meant and when on to have a constructive conversation. But NO you two have to be the dicks and point out that i had a few typing errors. WHOOPs my bad guys... Forgot most the people on here were English majors.

I am pretty sure most people noticed it and many were a bit confused, at least at first, after reading it.  Simply put, if you want people to respect your opinion, the DELIVERY is almost as important as the content.  Proper English goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG way!