Sign in to follow this  
HuskerMac

DeSanto is in trouble!

On 1/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, TBar1977 said:

People here once gave me sh!# for expecting an SID to write more clearly. They castigated me for even entertaining such thoughts. Where are they to hammer today's grammar police? 

30 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

YOU MISSPELLED SHlT.

Also isn't that a single thought (thus: such a thought)? 

If we are going to call the grammar police to the scene of a crime we probably want them to maximum enforcement and ticket revenue. ;)

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Also isn't that a single thought (thus: such a thought)? 

If we are going to call the grammar police to the scene of a crime we probably want them to maximum enforcement and ticket revenue. ;)

Good point.  Also, it should be "a SID," not "an SID."  That's three grammar violations.  Looks like we're dealing with a habitual offender.

42 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Good point.  Also, it should be "a SID," not "an SID."  That's three grammar violations.  Looks like we're dealing with a habitual offender.

Actually, it should be "an" if you are saying the letters but "a" if you are speaking the words in full. It's the sound of the start of the word not the spelling.

“A” is used before words starting in consonant sounds and “an” is used before words starting with vowel sounds. It doesn't matter if the word is an adjective, a noun, an adverb, or anything else; the rule is exactly the same.

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Actually, it should be "an" if you are saying the letters but "a" if you are speaking the words in full. It's the sound of the start of the word not the spelling.

“A” is used before words starting in consonant sounds and “an” is used before words starting with vowel sounds. It doesn't matter if the word is an adjective, a noun, an adverb, or anything else; the rule is exactly the same.

Both "S" and "Sports" begin with consonant sounds, do they not?

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

According to grammar.com this applies to writers as well as the spoken word. 

This Grammar.com article is about "A" vs. "An" - When to Use — enjoy your reading! 87,632 Views.

Writers sometimes confuse the use of the articles a and an. We were all taught that a precedes a word starting with a consonant and that an precedes a word starting with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y).

Here’s the secret to making the rule work: The rule applies to the sound of the letter beginning the word, not just the letter itself. The way we say the word will determine whether or not we use a or an. If the word begins with a vowel sound, you must use an. If it begins with a consonant sound, you must use a.

For example, the word hour begins with the consonant h. But the h is silent, so the word has a vowel sound. Hence:  an hour

https://www.grammar.com/a-vs-an-when-to-use/

59 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Not in my jurisdiction.

BTW, you didn't capitalize the first word in the second sentence of your post.  

Thanks, I fixed it.  But, that falls more into the obvious typo category and I let those slide!

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Shouldn't that be "maximize" rather than "maximum"?

Yes it should, originally had "provide" before it, edited out to make it shorter, was thinking "maximize" but failed to re-read and edit. 

all i ask is please don't lock me up with Tbar ill be happy to share a cell with KMF as he dont care about no gramar or puntuation but mostly cause he nose how to score PBR on the inside :)

1 minute ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I had already agreed that you were correct in my post with the cop silhouette. 

(However, I do like that alphabet pronunciation chart.)

I have a question though- how the h#$$ did we get here in a thread about DeSanto?