Sign in to follow this  
silvermedal

Impressive Weekend for the Buckeyes

Beating scrappy Wisconsin and Illinois squads was not a given at any point this season.  Yet this team looked efficient, well coached and properly conditioned in dispensing two solid teams that had to be excited at the prospect of taking on a vulnerable Ohio State.  That is not something I could always say about Ohio State wrestling--at least not with a straight face.

Bucks methodology until this year was to win the recruiting battles and plug in an instant AA contender.   This squad, however, has some old school elements to it in that they seem to be getting better with experience and practice.  Other than Moore and Pletcher--both of whom look superb--this lineup had a number of question marks.  Yet I'm seeing Kaleb Romero doing the best wrestling of his career after having to convince the coaches not to hand his spot to Rocky Jordan.  And Jordan, after a shaky start, looks like a solid option at 184.  Walk on Hvy Gary Traub is not likely to AA but he is a legit competitor at this weight class after never winning a state title in high school.  Elijah Cleary has been the last man standing at 157--they're still trying to replace him--but he seems to be finding his footing and showing legit D1 top 20 skills.  Sammy Sasso's ability is not in doubt but he has been looking dominant after some shaky moments in the early going.  Ethan Smith has made the hard cut to the brutal 165 wt class and is still a top 12 guy with a shot to AA.  And Jordan Decatur has taken a few L's in competitive fashion to top guys.  He makes the lineup better as well.  Only the undersized Heinselman continues to struggle.  

This Bucks team is not nearly as talented as any in the last five years but it's always enjoyable to root for a team that is at least wrestling with aggression and consistency.  The tests will continue as they have duals with Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska and Minnesota still to come.

The Bucks looked ready to wrestle this weekend.  Good win for Cleary over Barrone and Rocky over Braunagel was nice surprise at 184.  Romero continues to look like a guy who could be a serious AA threat in March.  Ethan Smith has shown steady improvement and is knocking on the door as well.  Gary Traub's handfighting, snatch singles, and workmanlike awesomeness are well documented.  We've been spoiled as Buckeye fans the last decade with guys that come in ready to be be high AA right out of the shoot.  It's fun watching some of these young guys develop and figure it out on the job.  

We're going to get waxed on Friday, of course, but it is what it is, hopefully Ryan doesn't let the team get discouraged and we come back strong against Minnesota.

Looking for Pletcher and Moore to win on Friday, Sasso possibly. That's it, not going to be pretty.

Edited by fightingsioux
addition

8 hours ago, fightingsioux said:

We're going to get waxed on Friday, of course, but it is what it is, hopefully Ryan doesn't let the team get discouraged and we come back strong against Minnesota.

Looking for Pletcher and Moore to win on Friday, Sasso possibly. That's it, not going to be pretty.

184 is interesting too. 

133 is interesting stylistically. Desanto will probably smash, but Decatur may hit a takedown or two. 

a win at 149 for tOSU is huge. It really hurts Iowa and gives tOSU a massive points boost

8 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

133 is going to be a fantastic first 2 minutes. I suspect Desanto's pace and pressure will cause Decatur to wilt, ultimately earning the Hawkeyes bonus points in the form of a TF or possibly even a pin.

This is how I see it playing out as well. Major minimum imo

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

184 is interesting too. 

133 is interesting stylistically. Desanto will probably smash, but Decatur may hit a takedown or two. 

a win at 149 for tOSU is huge. It really hurts Iowa and gives tOSU a massive points boost

A Sasso win would be huge and wreck even more the 149 weight class. It would be fantastic.

The Buckeyes appear to be working on their conditioning, a la "Gas Tank Gary" and what now appears to be "Gas Tank Cleary".  They both keep wrestling, and hard, for beyond 6 minutes if needed.  It doesn't make up for talent or capability, but in close matched against evenly ranked opponents, nod goes to these guys.  

The Buckeye/Iowa dual?  Not good in my opinion:

125:  Spencer WBF Malik - 6-0 Iowa

133:  Desanto MDec. Decatur - 10-0 Iowa

141:  Pletcher Dec. Murin - 10-3 Iowa

149:  UPSET SPECIAL:  Sasso dec. Lugo - 10-6 Iowa

157:  Young Mdec. Cleary - 14-6 Iowa

165:  Marinelli Dec. Smith - 17-6 Iowa (I think Ethan keeps it close)

174:  HIGHLIGHT MATCH:  Kemdawg Dec. Romero - 20-6 Iowa.  

184:  Assad Dec. Jordan:  23-6 Iowa.  I see this being a really good test for Jordan, now that he broke the Top 25.

197:  Moore Dec. Warner:  23-9 Iowa.  Moore could major, especially if Warner goes inside his own head after being taken down 3 times.

HWT:  Cass Dec. Traub:  26-9 Iowa.  I see Traub keeping it close, but I could also see Cass blasting through and tossing Traub on his back and Traub can't do anything about it.  

I do not see a path to victory for the Buckeyes against this very very very good Iowa Team. 

3 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I do not see a path to victory for the Buckeyes against this very very very good Iowa Team. 

Generally agree with your predictions.  Sasso beat Lugo last time they met so I don't know that I would call that an upset special... the top 6 at 149 are pretty interchangeable IMO.  Cleary can probably hold it to a decision, not that it will be relevant in the end.  

The outcome isn't going to be close, but it should be a fun dual anyway.  

I think we can all agree that Iowa is likely to win comfortably.  But there are many intriguing matchups including:

133:  Will Desanto's pace cause Decatur to wither or can he find a way to make this a tight match?

141:  Murin seems to have been a bit overrated but taking on Pletcher at Carver is a great way to get your mojo back.

149:  Is Lugo a true #1?  Can Sasso go hard for 7 minutes with the Hawk crowd going crazy in what is likely to be a low scoring match?  My guess is Lugo plans to keep it close and push hard in the third period.

174:   Kemmerer has proven a lot more in his career but this match is a great opportunity for a rising Romero to measure himself against a high level AA caliber opponent.

184:  Assad just had a huge win over battle tested Venz.  The Rock seems to be finding his footing after a shaky start.  This one may be comfortable for Assad or it could be tied heading into the third period.  

197:  Warner gets the home crowd as he takes on the occasionally vulnerable Moore.

Hvy:  Cassiopi vs GTG?  If nothing else, Gary knows how to compete and stay within striking distance.  Can he shock Carver Hawkeye and go from fan fave to all time Ohio State legend?

I’m interested in watching the Kemerer and Romero match as well. I just don’t see Romero taking Kemerer down so I see it being a 3-2 , 4-3 type match that Kemerer wins. That is if we see the same Kemerer that wrestled Labriola last week. He very easily could have lost on that last scramble to Labriola, doesn’t appear as explosive at ‘74 as he did at ‘57 but there’s no question Kemerer is #2 behind Hall at ‘74 this year.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, silvermedal said:

Beating scrappy Wisconsin and Illinois squads was not a given at any point this season.  Yet this team looked efficient, well coached and properly conditioned in dispensing two solid teams that had to be excited at the prospect of taking on a vulnerable Ohio State.  That is not something I could always say about Ohio State wrestling--at least not with a straight face.

Bucks methodology until this year was to win the recruiting battles and plug in an instant AA contender.   This squad, however, has some old school elements to it in that they seem to be getting better with experience and practice.  Other than Moore and Pletcher--both of whom look superb--this lineup had a number of question marks.  Yet I'm seeing Kaleb Romero doing the best wrestling of his career after having to convince the coaches not to hand his spot to Rocky Jordan.  And Jordan, after a shaky start, looks like a solid option at 184.  Walk on Hvy Gary Traub is not likely to AA but he is a legit competitor at this weight class after never winning a state title in high school.  Elijah Cleary has been the last man standing at 157--they're still trying to replace him--but he seems to be finding his footing and showing legit D1 top 20 skills.  Sammy Sasso's ability is not in doubt but he has been looking dominant after some shaky moments in the early going.  Ethan Smith has made the hard cut to the brutal 165 wt class and is still a top 12 guy with a shot to AA.  And Jordan Decatur has taken a few L's in competitive fashion to top guys.  He makes the lineup better as well.  Only the undersized Heinselman continues to struggle.  

This Bucks team is not nearly as talented as any in the last five years but it's always enjoyable to root for a team that is at least wrestling with aggression and consistency.  The tests will continue as they have duals with Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska and Minnesota still to come.

silvermedal - you get a GoldMedal for excellent writing skills! I like the way you convey your thoughts sir!