KSchlosser

Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian

Thought it was interesting bit of trivia that Mohammad's father was a two-time Olympic, one-time World silver medalist, Askari Mohammadian.

Askari competed at 57 and 62 kg, wrestling in the same weight class as Barry Davis in 1988 and Brad Penrith in 1989 while losing in the finals to John Smith in 1992

Mohammad ate well, had some size genetics in his family tree, the steroids really helped, or his father was cutting a massive amount of weight.

Edited by KSchlosser
father not fater

His father did NOT cut a lot of weight, he was, and still is a very small and slim wrestler.

The son wrestled at 86 Kg when he was 20 and was well over 6 ft tall, four years before getting banned for juicing, so I think it's probably fair to say that at least not all of his size is related to juicing.  he probably found some size genes in his family tree as you said.

Edited by irani

Mohammadian had an incredible tournament. The way he waded through both Nickal and Snyder was shocking. He had the worst draw you could imagine in arguably the toughest weight in Rome, and blew through the entire bracket.

I am really impressed by this young man''s work ethic.  He was a world bronze who was unwittingly given a substance by a corrupt doctor to help him heal from an ankle injury.  The substance was detected, forcing him to miss 4 years at the prime of career.  What happens during his four years off? He goes completely drug free and is arguably the top contender to win an Olympic gold over the great Saduleev!!! This young man is even better without drugs than he was with the "powerful anabolic: prescribed by that unscrupulous physician!  The value of hard work can never be discounted!

35 minutes ago, pamela said:

Thanks! Is there a link to the current rankings? I wanted to see what was up at 74kg also.

I saw that he was 8th on an Iranian news site. The rankings for all weights are on the left hand side of the screen of the united world wrestling website but it only works on computer it seems because I can't see them right now on my phone.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I am really impressed by this young man''s work ethic.  He was a world bronze who was unwittingly given a substance by a corrupt doctor to help him heal from an ankle injury.  The substance was detected, forcing him to miss 4 years at the prime of career.  What happens during his four years off? He goes completely drug free and is arguably the top contender to win an Olympic gold over the great Saduleev!!! This young man is even better without drugs than he was with the "powerful anabolic: prescribed by that unscrupulous physician!  The value of hard work can never be discounted!

Your sarcasm aside, he did work very hard the four years that he was banned.  If he is juicing again, I trust the system will catch him.  Juicers usually get caught.

35 minutes ago, irani said:

Your sarcasm aside, he did work very hard the four years that he was banned.  If he is juicing again, I trust the system will catch him.  Juicers usually get caught.

Sometimes years later, after they have already beaten clean athletes in the Olympic games.

5 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Sometimes years later, after they have already beaten clean athletes in the Olympic games.

As @wrestlingnerd eloquently stated: 

"he's probably less likely to gamble away four peak years again in a young man's sport."  Although if he does it again and gets caught, I expect the ban to be longer than 4 years this time, effectively ending his career

I am not a fan juicers, they are cheaters and deserve to be punished.  This guy cheated, got caught and got punished.

I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward.  I accept that you are not

Edited by irani

54 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Unfortunately, juicers usually do NOT get caught. But he does have a target on his back due to his past, so he's probably less likely to gamble away four peak years again in a young man's sport.

Probably being the operative word there.  History hasn't exactly bored that out, though.  Cheaters that get caught often show a propensity to do so again.  

27 minutes ago, irani said:

As @wrestlingnerd eloquently stated: 

"he's probably less likely to gamble away four peak years again in a young man's sport."  Although if he does it again and gets caught, I expect the ban to be longer than 4 years this time, effectively ending his career

I am not a fan juicers, they are cheaters and deserve to be punished.  This guy cheated, got caught and got punished.

I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward.  I accept that you are not

You are correct.  I am not.  Especially since he got so much better off of drugs.  Just say no to drugs,  kids!

I understand the skepticism. I don’t know whether I’m prepared to consider him clean until proven guilty (again). That said, he did get better during four years of a wrestler’s life during which you’d expect him to get better. He wasn’t 30 last time we saw him and Is now crushing Snyder at 34. That single he hit on Bo was perfection. Even a guy as defensively savvy as Bo could do nothing. He showed some very slick skills against Snyder too. Even if still juicing, it’s fair to say his skill improved. 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I understand the skepticism. I don’t know whether I’m prepared to consider him clean until proven guilty (again). That said, he did get better during four years of a wrestler’s life during which you’d expect him to get better. He wasn’t 30 last time we saw him and Is now crushing Snyder at 34. That single he hit on Bo was perfection. Even a guy as defensively savvy as Bo could do nothing. He showed some very slick skills against Snyder too. Even if still juicing, it’s fair to say his skill improved. 

Juicing or not, we've never seen the guy that showed up in Rome.  There are plenty of guys out there on gear and none of them are teching/pinning Snyder (except... well, you know). I'd rather not be skeptical, but we've seen this play out too many times. 

Him sticking to that sham of a doctor excuse might be the most egregious part.  If he had owned up to it and said, "Look, I made a mistake, I was young and was trying to get an edge.  I've paid a steep price, I've learned from it and I'm ready to move on and prove I'm one of the best in the world," I would be inclined to believe him.  A guy who won't admit he was wrong is usually a guy who still doesn't believe he was. 

24 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Juicing or not, we've never seen the guy that showed up in Rome.  There are plenty of guys out there on gear and none of them are teching/pinning Snyder (except... well, you know). I'd rather not be skeptical, but we've seen this play out too many times. 

Him sticking to that sham of a doctor excuse might be the most egregious part.  If he had owned up to it and said, "Look, I made a mistake, I was young and was trying to get an edge.  I've paid a steep price, I've learned from it and I'm ready to move on and prove I'm one of the best in the world," I would be inclined to believe him.  A guy who won't admit he was wrong is usually a guy who still doesn't believe he was. 

I don't believe he is still making the doctor excuse, that was just something he told the testing body. If i'm correct he claims to be unaware of how it got into his system. Someone from the national team told him to give the doctor excuse, and this got his ban extended to 4 years. It's on the Iran wrestling news page but you have to go back a few pages. 

Edited by Shiraz123