hammerlockthree

Who is still taking burroughs over Dake?

Been a huge fan of JB for what 11 yrs now.  Really, really want him to make the team and go out with the gold.  But I have a lot of pause.  Beating Dake, because he's gotten so good,  will take such an immense and perfect match(s) from JB it will be like winning the gold.

I don't feel it's so much JB's physical and skills that are holding him back.  Though he is not 25 anymore and his gas tank does seem low near the end of matches. 

1) I think it's his belief in himself.  He talks about being old, near the end, etc.  Never had that mindset before. He use to have unwavering belief.  Wonder if it's still the same.  Because he still has the skills to get the job done and with Dake he can still get in his head because Dake still can get rattled.

2) I wonder about his training.  Same place, same thing all these years.  We all saw Synder after the losing saying he needs a change of scenery and better and stronger partners to workout with.  Often wonder if what happens in Lincoln is the best scene for JB.  Plus he's a family man now, living that life, just had his third child 2 weeks ago and in about 3mos will have the biggest match of his life.  Also, the boys in Dagestan and the like live and train a much more focused life.

This is all outside observation so no crucifiers.  

This is a tough call. Hard to argue against them being a tossup.  Physically, the two of them are in the same stage of life.  They are two and a  half years apart, but of the two Dake has had more serious health issues.  It is likely Dake is hungrier, which is a big factor.  I think JB finishes way better, thanks to Chamizo.  Eh, I'll take JB because I like him and because Dake always ends up melting against him.   

Edited by Plasmodium

My heart says Dake, my mind agrees with Plasmo that it's a tossup.

If Dake does win, I suspect it'll be due to improved defense, but since he hasn't wrestled a Sidakov, Chamizo or JB level opponent in two years, it's really hard to gauge just how good he's become (defensively or otherwise).

When he wrestles like he did against Demirtas, it's hard to imagine anyone beating him, but Chamizo would have been a better yardstick.

I also would have liked to see him wrestle the Iranian that teched Green.

10 hours ago, Katie said:

JB beat Dake at the 2017 US Open without a bye.

In an extremely close, controversial match that could have gone either way.  Much different than the prior Trials' matches that Jordan clearly won.

Having to go through Howe and Taylor just to wrestle a rested JB the same day was a distinct disadvantage.

I'm still unsure how many matches Dake has to win, as a semifinalist, to wrestle JB this year, but they'll be the day before.

12 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

Burroughs.  I think he just has the attacks to trouble Dake and doesn't allow him to control the tie-ups.  Dake is like 1-6 (or a bigger margin) vs Burroughs.  

Dake has at least two wins that I recall (2013 and 2017), and he's generally gotten closer with time.

Not to mention he had to win brutal mini tournaments in '13, '15 and '17 just to wrestle JB the same day, which had to have been a disadvantage.

And the one 'standard' match they wrestled, in the 2017 Open finals, was extremely close, and very controversial.

13 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Dake wrestles inferior competition. Sidakov could have bumped and wiped the mat with everyone not named Kyle Dake. Something we are all forgetting. 

Sidakov would wipe the mat with Gadzhi?

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Nor Hasanov, but regardless, none of us know what will happen at the Trials.

3 hours ago, whaletail said:

Dake has at least two wins that I recall (2013 and 2017), and he's generally gotten closer with time.

Not to mention he had to win brutal mini tournaments in '13, '15 and '17 just to wrestle JB the same day, which had to have been a disadvantage.

And the one 'standard' match they wrestled, in the 2017 Open finals, was extremely close, and very controversial.

1-6 vs JB

On 1/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, GoNotQuietly said:

I think Dake is a better wrestler, but Burroughs is better at winning.  I won't pick against Burroughs to make a team until he doesn't make a team, and not a second earlier.

Excellent post. As of right now I think Dake is a better wrestler, he's younger, bigger, stronger...

has everything going for him. Jordan is an incredible winner and just like you I'm going to always pick him to win until he doesn't. I'll admit I'm rooting for Kyle but I can separate who I want to win and who I would pick. Hopefully they both show up injury-free and we get to see a classic.

I am interested in seeing Dake compete when he still has to make weight again the next day. The tournament in Italy was just one day.

Do Burroughs and Snyder have to make weight both days at the trials?

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I am interested in seeing Dake compete when he still has to make weight again the next day. The tournament in Italy was just one day.

Do Burroughs and Snyder have to make weight both days at the trials?

Does Burroughs have to make weight twice as well?

8 hours ago, whaletail said:

Dake went 0-2 versus JB in 2013.

Overall, Dake is 1-7 versus JB.

22 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Without wrestling an entire tournament the same day, Dake > Burroughs. JB won’t have an exhausted Dake. 

Dake still has to win 2 matches to get to JB.  Probably Massa or Joseph and then IMar.   In past years, I think he wrestled 3 matches and generally got a quick tech in the 1st one, so I don't really think the quantity of wrestling is that different, just the fact that it isn't same day.