Marcus Cisero

Father Runs onto Mat and Tackle’s Wrestler who Body Slammed His Son

I certainly don’t agree with the fathers actions but one could only imagine how a parent feels when their son is intentionally hit with such a blatant illegal move that could have resulted in serious injury. Dad should have stayed in his seat.

https://myfox8.com/2020/01/19/father-arrested-charged-after-tackling-student-athlete-at-nc-high-school-wrestling-tournament-police-say/amp/

That slam wasn't intentional.  Bad wrestlers sometimes lack the control better wrestlers have.  Bad wrestlers also don't know how to react to being lifted off the mat like that.

Likewise, dad's of bad wrestlers who also lack basic wrestling knowledge tend to over react to things on the mat based on inexperience.  The last I heard, NC still has no organized junior high wrestling.

Sometimes when you watch too much elite wrestling, you forget how bad the wrestling can be out there.

9 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Likewise, dad's of bad wrestlers who also lack basic wrestling knowledge tend to over react to things on the mat based on inexperience.  The last I heard, NC still has no organized junior high wrestling.

It varies county by county. Some counties, like Davie and Orange, do have junior high wrestling. But a lot of the larger counties, like where bigger cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh are located, still don’t have junior high wresting.

Texas has some MS Wrestling, but it is terrible. There are not a lot of MS programs either. The competition for those MS kids is at the USA tournaments, but the MS coaches put a lot of pressure on them to go to these MS Scrub Fests. 

Edited by TexRef

Kid seemed fine and was ready to keep going o don't understand why dad needed to do that knowing his kid was ok especially. Emotions do get the better of us sometimes, I suppose. 

As he was stumbling down the stairs trying to catch his balance after realizing his kid was ok, he plowed into the wrestlers. No foul.

24 minutes ago, headshuck said:

As he was stumbling down the stairs trying to catch his balance after realizing his kid was ok, he plowed into the wrestlers. No foul.

This actually happened in North Carolina and I just read they are 1 of 6 states now allowing for assault charges to be charged against somebody who acts this way at sporting events. This foolish father is now screwed. As it relates to the refs, they too are now allowed to sue against parents who go too far with them.

What a shame our society has degenerated to this point and what a shame that this is the example adults are now setting for these young athletes. Now the kid has to continue his wrestling career knowing his Dad did this – that’s if his Dad is ever allowed to go back to any wrestling matches or events.

There is an inversely proportional relationship to the level of wrestling and the likelyhood of trashy parents assaulting kids and refs.  That's why my friend, a well-respected HS and NCAA official, quit reffing kids' wrestling years ago.  Look at the Bouzakis vs. Phipps beast final how a slam/injury situation was handled by all parties vs. some peewee tournament in palookaville as an example of this phenomenon.

27 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

What a shame our society has degenerated to this point and what a shame that this is the example adults are now setting for these young athletes. 

It's always been like this. We just didn't have cameras everywhere 30 years ago.

55 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

It's always been like this. We just didn't have cameras everywhere 30 years ago.

yes - good point, but I've been to / participated in my share of wrestling matches in many states over the many years and I've never seen anything even close to this. There's always been shouting from the stands but never has someone actually left their seat to run onto the mat.  

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I wish I could install it on my phone but dont know how to.  It's free on PC's.

Make a Pihole and never use crappy ad blockers again. It looks more intimidating than it actually is. Raz pies are fun little guys and making a smart mirror is a fun project for kids, while making the home entertainment server is fun for adults

2 hours ago, insidecradle said:

Saw it this morning on the “Today” show. If it had happened to my son, I probably would have just yelled something like “slam” or “illegal return”. All parents are different, some over react in all sports. 

Exactly. Even if a parent storms the mat when their kid is slammed like that, most people would oh I don’t know, uhh run to make sure their kid was ok. This wasn’t a case of a kid being jumped in an alley or something and then the parent darts at the “attacker”. The parent clearly overreacted in the most ridiculous way possible. 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Make a Pihole and never use crappy ad blockers again. It looks more intimidating than it actually is. Raz pies are fun little guys and making a smart mirror is a fun project for kids, while making the home entertainment server is fun for adults

Piholes are nice, but don't block everything.  YouTube ads for example don't use distinct DNS names, you still often need a combo with ad-blockers...  

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, tec87 said:

Exactly. Even if a parent storms the mat when their kid is slammed like that, most people would oh I don’t know, uhh run to make sure their kid was ok. This wasn’t a case of a kid being jumped in an alley or something and then the parent darts at the “attacker”. The parent clearly overreacted in the most ridiculous way possible. 

Yep. Nothing screams "I want to make sure my son is ok" more than a full grown adult hitting an devastating downfield block on a teenager in the middle of a wrestling mat, and potentially causing harm to said teenager.

6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

yes - good point, but I've been to / participated in my share of wrestling matches in many states over the many years and I've never seen anything even close to this. There's always been shouting from the stands but never has someone actually left their seat to run onto the mat.  

Means you haven’t been to enough jr. high matches

8 hours ago, Perry said:

Kid seemed fine and was ready to keep going o don't understand why dad needed to do that knowing his kid was ok especially. Emotions do get the better of us sometimes, I suppose. 

Agree on this, kid that was slammed showed no reaction to the slam and was in referees position before his dad even stepped on the mat.

Nothing excuses the actions of the father, but impressed with the composure of his kid from what I could see in the video.

With that said hard to comment on much more without knowing what proceded it in the match, the histories of all parties, and how everyone reacted after the incident

Hope the kid from SE Guilford was not injured from the assault

Charge for Assault and Battery, public disturbance, trespassing and anything else possible under their criminal code.

Can always reduce it later and the message will be sent. Anger management classes? If the jerk isn't major league apologetic - prosecute.

Maybe ban him from school grounds/activity attendance for a year or so?