Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RealAmericanHero

D-I Programs making strides...

Recommended Posts

I was just reading the Maryland thread and got to wondering, which programs are, in your opinion, improving .

I have a few in mind - Army, Campbell, Princeton, & Purdue. Any others?

Army: lost to Wisconsin by 1 point; defeated FSU, Illinois, and WVU. (Granted, WVU can have its own thread about its demise but still.)

Campbell: Went from virtually non-existent 5 years ago to defeating ISU last week. (Narrowly lost to ASU at that event.)

Princeton: Maybe they've been this good for a while and I'm the one who missed. Mea culpa if so. Currently top 10; four AA candidates. Seem to have more at once - good recruiting?

Purdue: It used to be between the Boilermakers and Indiana - possibly MSU - for permanent resident in the B1G basement. Today they are ranked 10 according to Flo. Ersland seems to have the same 5-year plan as Campbell. And it working.

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on how far you’re looking back, I’d throw North Carolina and NC State on there. And really the ACC as a whole. Popolizio and Scott have done a great job of elevating their programs into extremely competitive teams. The ACC has gone from being on life support to thriving with 4 top 20 ish programs in UNC, NCSU, Pitt, and VT. With Virginia not being far behind either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Good call. They have a stand-out youngster in R. Woods. If they can leverage him to build the culture in the room as well as recruit, they could move into the top-20 and even higher.

He might not even be the best freshman on that team!  I expect a solid AA finish from Griffith as well, and Abas isn't too far behind in terms of results as a true frosh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, RealAmericanHero said:

I was just reading the Maryland thread and got to wondering, which programs are, in your opinion, improving .

I have a few in mind - Army, Campbell, Princeton, & Purdue. Any others?

Army: lost to Wisconsin by 1 point; defeated FSU, Illinois, and WVU. (Granted, WVU can have its own thread about its demise but still.)

Campbell: Went from virtually non-existent 5 years ago to defeating ISU last week. (Narrowly lost to ASU at that event.)

Princeton: Maybe they've been this good for a while and I'm the one who missed. Mea culpa if so. Currently top 10; four AA candidates. Seem to have more at once - good recruiting?

Purdue: It used to be between the Boilermakers and Indiana - possibly MSU - for permanent resident in the B1G basement. Today they are ranked 10 according to Flo. Ersland seems to have the same 5-year plan as Campbell. And it working.

 

Thoughts?

Princeton was just Pathetic not long ago. They were an absolute joke in NJ and wrestled in a small gym in front of 20 people. They were so bad their fans only cheered when one of their wrestlers even got close to a takedown. they would never be able to finish but that was their highlight. There were better atmospheres at Middle Schools in NJ..They hire Ayres and Dubuque and boy have things changed. They now wrestle at Jadwin and they just keep getting better every year.

Edited by moveurfeet32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you also have to add Michigan State and Indiana to this list. They were just dead when Minkel and Ski mask Goldman were there. They change coaches and Chandler and Escobeda are starting to get things going. I thought it was an awful hire when Michigan State hired Chandler who was part of Minkel staff but I was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

I think you also have to add Michigan State and Indiana to this list. They were just dead when Minkel and Ski mask Goldman were there. They change coaches and Chandler and Escobeda are starting to get things going. I thought it was an awful hire when Michigan State hired Chandler who was part of Minkel staff but I was wrong.

Ski mask Goldman, LOL. But you are right, as far down as MSU  was, I doubt any respectable coach would have touched this job. But little did we know coach Chandler would make a big difference, and just maybe get them to another level of respectability. I had doubts about Angel, but after seeing with my own eyes, the attitude and effort difference, in the same wrestlers that "Ski Mask" had in the room, I am a believer that he will get the program better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

Rider

A Rider win over Rutgers would be big for them.  Traditionally, Rider has been the better program but Rutgers in the last 5-7 years has been the team.  Impressive that Rider, Rutgers , and Princeton are all pretty solid teams.  Rider's recruits are not near as good as the others, I feel, but still have been doing well.  Not sure how Binghamton let Dellevechia go but he's tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 10:02 AM, RealAmericanHero said:

Good call. They have a stand-out youngster in R. Woods. If they can leverage him to build the culture in the room as well as recruit, they could move into the top-20 and even higher.

Woods isn't even the best freshman on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

What @Sstern said. Been consistconsistently ranked higher in a deeper weight class and gave a 2x Natty Champ all he could handle while on redshirt last year 

Woods has 2 losses in career last year Nick Lee 6-3 and this year Pletcher 3-1 OT and his best win is AA Perry ODU

Griffith has 2 losses in career both last year Cenzo 6-4 and Ryan Niven Grandview 3-1 and his best win is R16 Fogarty ND St

Edited by calot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, calot said:

Woods has 2 losses in career last year Nick Lee 6-3 and this year Pletcher 3-1 OT and his best win is AA Perry ODU

Griffith has 2 losses in career both last year Cenzo 6-4 and Ryan Niven Grandview 3-1 and his best win is R16 Fogarty ND St

Those aren't their best wins based off of this year.  Perry has also lost to 6 other gents this year(Lloren, Courtney, Zapf were all by worse margins, too).  Using one tournament to define the wrestler doesn't exactly define his best win.  Cheek or Hone or Gfeller would be his best wins, and none are currently top 15.  Losing to Lee and Pletcher?  Good losses, yes.

Griffith has beaten five top 15 kids this season alone.  Skidgel, Smith, Monday, Fogarty, Whittlake.  And additional three more make it 8 top 25.  Also both his losses, while in redshirt?  Good losses(Niven was runner-up at 165 NAIA last season, and would have contended to take home a low AA result had he been in D1 last year.

We're comparing two pristine chunks of meat.  I'll not argue that one is worse, because I don't think either are worse/bad.  I will argue that Griffith has a stronger body of work as far as wins goes.  Therefor I can also argue that he is better placed to place higher at 165 than Woods is at 141 due to those results.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised to see either win it come March.  I believe they are both that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Those aren't their best wins based off of this year.  Perry has also lost to 6 other gents this year(Lloren, Courtney, Zapf were all by worse margins, too).  Using one tournament to define the wrestler doesn't exactly define his best win.  Cheek or Hone or Gfeller would be his best wins, and none are currently top 15.  Losing to Lee and Pletcher?  Good losses, yes.

Griffith has beaten five top 15 kids this season alone.  Skidgel, Smith, Monday, Fogarty, Whittlake.  And additional three more make it 8 top 25.  Also both his losses, while in redshirt?  Good losses(Niven was runner-up at 165 NAIA last season, and would have contended to take home a low AA result had he been in D1 last year.

We're comparing two pristine chunks of meat.  I'll not argue that one is worse, because I don't think either are worse/bad.  I will argue that Griffith has a stronger body of work as far as wins goes.  Therefor I can also argue that he is better placed to place higher at 165 than Woods is at 141 due to those results.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised to see either win it come March.  I believe they are both that good.

All just a matter of opinion .I will take Woods to place higher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a Clown Show at Hofstra...Watch Head Coaches video.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/wrestling

Says he thought they would be 7-0 going into match against NC State??

Says Hofstra would of won 99 out of of 100 times if they wrestled opponents again???

Hofstra is 3-5 and lost to West Virginia 38-0

When will Hofstra hire a solid coach and get back to being a solid Program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Just a Clown Show at Hofstra...Watch Head Coaches video.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/wrestling

Says he thought they would be 7-0 going into match against NC State??

Says Hofstra would of won 99 out of of 100 times if they wrestled opponents again???

Hofstra is 3-5 and lost to West Virginia 38-0

When will Hofstra hire a solid coach and get back to being a solid Program

I watched the NC St dual and battle wasn't a word that came to my mind at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...