Marcus Cisero

125 LBS: #1 Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs. Alex Thomsen (Nebraska) | 2020 B1G Wrestling

Here’s the match of Spencer Lee eviscerating former 4-time Nebraska state champion / (190 – 1 HS Record) Alex Thomsen 18-0 in the first period. Just posted on Youtube by BTN.

Perhaps YouTube should take this down because I think I just witnessed a live execution.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

25 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

The fact that Lee didn't even secure the takedown until 1 minute and 35 seconds into the first period makes it all the more remarkable!

NF-4 = game changer

This is exactly what I was thinking. He scores 18 points in 1:20. Wow!

28 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Strong opinion.  He tried arm bars more than once, as well.

I like the arm bars, those are used to pin, in my opinion.  Tilts are not used to pin.  Of course very rarely someone will be pinned with a tilt, but the overwhelming majority of the time no fall is recorded from a tilt.

Section 5. Near Fall Art. 1. Near Fall Criteria. A near fall is a position in which the offensive wrestler has the opponent in a controlled pinning situation in which any one of the following three criteria are met: a. The defensive wrestler is held in a high bridge or on both elbows; b. Any part of one shoulder or scapula, or the head is touching the mat and the other shoulder or scapula is held at an angle of 45 degrees or less to the mat; or c. Any part of both shoulders or both scapulae are held within four inches of the mat. In any pinning situation, a near fall may occur if any part of either wrestler remains in bounds.

Edited by jchapman

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Here’s the match of Spencer Lee eviscerating former 4-time Nebraska state champion / (190 – 1 HS Record) Alex Thomsen 18-0 in the first period. Just posted on Youtube by BTN.

Perhaps YouTube should take this down because I think I just witnessed a live execution.

Just to be clear, Spencer Lee is a great college wrestler and Alex Thomsen is an unranked college wrestler. No reason to try to pump up how great Lee is by posting someone's HS accolades. Lee's ability speaks for itself.

Just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Just to be clear, Spencer Lee is a great college wrestler and Alex Thomsen is an unranked college wrestler. No reason to try to pump up how great Lee is by posting someone's HS accolades. Lee's ability speaks for itself.

Just my opinion.

I assumed from the important thread title that Thomesen beat Lee.  After opening and discovery this was not the case then assumed this was the first time Lee had beat an unranked wrestler. ;_;

43 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Just my opinion.

Lee’s ability DOES speak for itself, however he is a one trick pony whose one trick is as deadly as it gets. He reminds me of Jesse Janzten. When I lived in New York I watched him be the first to win 4 NY state titles and he did it the same way - tight waist / arm bar and he too was a master at it. It’s what he basically used throughout his college wrestling career when he wrestled for Harvard. He was eventually a NCAA champ with that same move.

As a wrestling fan, it’s not quite as exciting to watch as say someone like a Rivera or Nolf who has all kinds of tricks in their bag.

Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Lee’s ability DOES speak for itself, however he is a one trick pony whose one trick is as deadly as it gets. He reminds me of Jesse Janzten. When I lived in New York I watched him be the first to win 4 NY state titles and he did it the same way - tight waist / arm bar and he too was a master at it. It’s what he basically used throughout his college wrestling career when he wrestled for Harvard. He was eventually a NCAA champ with that same move.

As a wrestling fan, it’s not quite as exciting to watch as say someone like a Rivera or Nolf who has all kinds of tricks in their bag.

Just my opinion.

I think it is rather impressive that everybody in the country knows what's coming and can do almost nothing to stop it.

1 hour ago, Greatdane67 said:

That Nebraska kid will be an AA in the future......

I agree - he probably went into the match like many do - intimidated.  Remember the Mueller interview after he lost to Lee in the NCAA finals last year?. He said he gave him too much respect and I believe many go head to head with Lee with that same mindset. Lee IS beatable, especially when taken into the 3rd period.  Rivera did it and someone like Mueller or even Pic might just do it too. 

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Just my opinion.

As far as the one trick pony thing goes, I would not really describe Lee as a one trick pony. He tilts with tight waists and wings, but also has a great wing and half series. Sometimes it can look repetitive in a match like this one, because he is tilting for a quick tech, but really how many guys in the country have more than 3 legit turns to get back points? I would dare to say it is less than 5. Thats not to mention how Lee's scrambling ability frequently can lead to back points like against Mackall. I think its the ease at which he is doing this against anyone outside of the top 4 is what maybe loses the excitement.

This year, I can't think of any time someone got in on his legs. I can't think of anytime that he really got ridden. I can't think of anyone who wrestled out of a position where Lee had the clear advantage. Lee can be so dominant at times where it just looks too easy for there to be anything too exciting. If you really break down his matches, he has had a variety of attacks from his feet and front head too. He maybe isn't as flashy as a Nolf with rolls and such, but I don't know how someone can call him a one trick pony.

Edited by russelscout

6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Just a quick correction - Thomsen was a 4 time Iowa champ not Nebraska.

4 hours ago, bennythejetrodriguez said:

What quality makes Lee's tilts so unstoppable?  Once he gets the cross-wrist, he seems to roll through effortlessly against everyone except a very few elite. 

Couple things in my opinion.   First, he has been hitting this for the better portion of his life so his execution and body awareness are almost flawless.

Second, I think he is simply stronger than any of us can imagine.  Once he gets a hold of a wrist you rarely see the bottom wrestler get it back without spencer letting it go.

5 hours ago, jchapman said:

I have never liked tilts in folkstyle.  A tilt is not a pinning hold in my opinion.

Darian Cruz pinned a lot of people with that exact same tilt, and as good as he was/is, Spencer Lee takes it up another notch.