9 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Ok. I mean I hope it happens, but I think he's considered a longshot for gold.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Not me. If Spencer wins the spot, I think he can beat Uguev, Takahashi and the rest. 

Of course Lee is not a lock for gold, but I think he is right there with the best in the world.  (Ok, having said all that, now we have to qualify 57 and Spencer still has to win the spot.) 

1 hour ago, freestyle_fan said:

Interesting results:

Soslan Ramanov lost in 65kg finals to Shiraev

M Gadzhi (70 kg who defeated Hassan Yazdani back in 2015 worlds) defeated Ketik Tsabolov in 74kg Quarters. He also won his semifinal and entered Finals.

Kurbanaliev (74kg) lost in semis. If you remember Kurbanaliev gave tough fight to Sidakov in last years special wrestle off part of Nur-Sultan worlds selection.

i think 74kg trials/selection for Tokyo rep for Russia is going to really tough and I am thinking M.Gadzhi could be a road blocker for Sidakov

I don't think it matters what happens at 74 in Russia- Federation will send Sidakov regardless.

4 hours ago, jross said:

Questions from the Downey match.

• How does Downey allow the blue opponent to belly down out of a reverse half?  Could he not pick up the head with his right hand and block with his left hand or lock hands and finish the match? (42s-48s in).  
  • How is it that Downey only gets 2pts when countering blue's hold and putting blue straight from feet to back?  I would think 2pt takedown and 2pt exposure or maybe a 4pt takedown?  Is the thought process one that rewards blue's initiative to go big with throws - he has little risk of losing huge points when caught on his back?  The gator roll, seconds later had a back exposure - I understand 2pts only there.
  • How can I better understand when a move is allowed to be finished out of bounds versus not?  I sometimes see takedowns driven 8 feet out of bounds and 2 points is given.  Downey has a bear lock on the edge of the mat and they are called out of bounds with no opportunity to finish.  What might have transformed into several points is stopped at a push out 1pt (2:25s-2:30s)
  • Blue gets a clean double leg takedown that puts Downey to his back.  Q1 - why are they called out of bounds when their feet are inbounds?  Q2 - why isn't blue going for the pin? (3:35s)
  • Downey is working on a take down and the ref blows the whistle before they go out of bounds (4:24s) and doesn't give chance to collect the 2 pt takedown.
  • Is it clear in the video whether Downey exposed blue's back at 5:21s?  The first time I watched the video, I thought that was 2 and so did Downey.  I watched again and see exposure.  But there was no challenge?  

I will give it a shot. I'm certainly not a level 1 referee but I have been officiating freestyle for almost 10 years.

1. It's like a slip through a lot of guys who are crafty will try some type of move if they are in danger of giving up a 4 pointer. However in this case I legitimately think the guy tried and down Downing was able to hold him on his back. He probably should have finished him as well. The guy seemed to wait and try big moves when he had enough oxygen in his lungs.

2. You are allowed to continue the move if it initiated in bounds. If they're kind of dancing you're probably not going to get as much of continuation allowed as if a takedown is happening on the edge. I probably would have blown up the Downy bear hug.

3. Same as before. When the guy got the 4 pointer it looked to me like Downey's head hit out of bounds which would bring a whistle up. 

4. The potential Downey take down at 4 minutes and 24 seconds is an absolutely horrific call and have no idea why it was not challenged. Now that I look at the score and the situation I probably wouldn't have challenged it either. I waited till this point to say the guy is extremely quick on the whistle. I wonder if he even knows the rules. It's doubtful anybody would get a score on the edge of the mat once somebody stepped out if he is officiating. I'm stunned that an official at this tournament is seemingly that poor.

5. Again, from my point of view and I watched it four or five times, Downey certainly exposes the guys back. I don't even think it's closed but he has a better view than I do from 10,000 miles away.

Sorry for any typos but it was too much for me to use my fingers so I had to use voice texting.

4 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

I don't think it matters what happens at 74 in Russia- Federation will send Sidakov regardless.

I see what you are saying..Sidakov is the best bet considering the wins he had against both JB and chamizo, but what happens if M. Gadzhi convincingly defeats Sidakov in Russian national this year? Will they still pick Sidakov? Did anything like this occurred in previous Olympic selections? Anyone any idea?

I see what you are saying..Sidakov is the best bet considering the wins he had against both JB and chamizo, but what happens if M. Gadzhi convincingly defeats Sidakov in Russian national this year? Will they still pick Sidakov? Did anything like this occurred in previous Olympic selections? Anyone any idea?
Yeah, I wish I had specific examples, I'm sure others remember exacts, but theres been numerous times they just choose the "best chance at gold" despite h2h results

So... How did Brooks and Pfarr do.  We know Downey lost... But how about the rest.  Can't find a good source I can read.
Just fishing around twitter. Pfarr got pulled into repechege becuase he lost to a Naifonov.
But their front side losses looked like this:
I think they had both teched their earlier opponents 0fd63b2edae8548d75a789653fafbea4.jpg

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Just fishing around twitter. Pfarr got pulled into repechege becuase he lost to a Naifonov.
But their front side losses looked like this:
I think they had both teched their earlier opponents 0fd63b2edae8548d75a789653fafbea4.jpg

Thank you.   You're a scholar and a gentleman.

13 hours ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

at 86 Downey is #2 in USA. And he was debunked! When big mouth american losses in Russia I LOVE IT!  I LOVE IT bro! I love when clowns lose.

Score should have been 11-6....Downey got robbed...3 bad calls.

3 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NImcKBCtXYITUVjq35uxACRaVRQ5VyE0RgslDK1FmKY/edit?usp=sharing

There's a link to a spreadsheet I put together a while back. It has all of the Russian, USA, and Iranian World and Olympic team members and how they placed at Worlds/Olympics since 2008. The first page shows Russia's information and whether or not the representative won Russian Nationals. On the years a different rep was sent, it is highlighted and shows the rep sent, along with their finish. 

Out of 94 total World/Olympic team members, they sent a different rep from the Russian Nationals Champ 17 times. 14 of those who took the place of Russian National winners won medals (6 golds, 3 silvers, 5 bronze). I don't have any contextual information concerning why a different rep was sent but at least this is a starting place for you.

9 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NImcKBCtXYITUVjq35uxACRaVRQ5VyE0RgslDK1FmKY/edit?usp=sharing

There's a link to a spreadsheet I put together a while back. It has all of the Russian, USA, and Iranian World and Olympic team members and how they placed at Worlds/Olympics since 2008. The first page shows Russia's information and whether or not the representative won Russian Nationals. On the years a different rep was sent, it is highlighted and shows the rep sent, along with their finish. 

Out of 94 total World/Olympic team members, they sent a different rep from the Russian Nationals Champ 17 times. 14 of those who took the place of Russian National winners won medals (6 golds, 3 silvers, 5 bronze). I don't have any contextual information concerning why a different rep was sent but at least this is a starting place for you.

@Jon_Kozak - wow, Thank you for putting this together, awesome stuff, appreciate it!

Good work Kozak.  Despite what a lot of people think, the Russian Nats Champ is usually their representative. At least in recent decades. The US team does not ALWAYS send it's Nationals or Trials champion. Nashon Garrett was recent example. People get injured, sick, or have other things happen.  

8 minutes ago, freestyle_fan said:

@Jon_Kozak - wow, Thank you for putting this together, awesome stuff, appreciate it!

7 minutes ago, 77again said:

Good work Kozak.  Despite what a lot of people think, the Russian Nats Champ is usually their representative. At least in recent decades. The US team does not ALWAYS send it's Nationals or Trials champion. Nashon Garrett was recent example. People get injured, sick, or have other things happen.  

Happy to share the info! And yeah, I put this together because I had always heard Russia had their own process. So, I wanted to see what the actual outcome of their "process" is. It's really not much different than USA's with a bye to the finals given to returning world medalists. 

47 minutes ago, Blue Dragons said:

Score should have been 11-6....Downey got robbed...3 bad calls.

There was one quick whistle and one bad angle...

he’s your boy, but, don’t look like a fool just because he is...

Molinari F. (USA) over Talasinu Er E. (China) by pin.
WW 68 - Final 3-5

• Talasinu takedown | 2pt
  • Molinari pushout | 1pt
  • Talasinu takedown  | 2pt
  • Talasinu cradles Molinari to back | 4pt
  • Molinari kicks over from back and has Talasinu on her back | Pin for Molinari

Tsabolov K. (Rus) vs. Suchkov N. (Rus) by technical fall
FS 74 | Final 3-5

Tsabolov takedown | 2pts
Tsabolov takedown | 2pts
Tsabolov exposure by gut | 2pts
Tsabolov takedown | 2pts (impressive athleticism)
Tsabolov takedown | 2pts

Note:  Suchkov has previously beaten Chamizo

---------

Gazimagomedov M. over  Zhamalov R. by 3-1 decision | fun 2nd period to watch, takedown was the difference
FS 74 | Final 1-2

Edited by jross

Тhe winners of the Yarygin tournament-2020http://kraysport.ru/press-center/news?id=8665

On the final day of the Yarygin tournament the medals were played in seven weight categories. The strongest athletes were determined among the female wrestlers of 68, 72 and 76 kg and among the male wrestlers of 74, 86 and 97 kg.

Men

• 74 kg.1. Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov (Russia). 2. Razambek Zhamalov (Russia).  3. Khetik Tsabolov (Russia), Magomed Kurbanaliev (Russia) 
  • 86 kg. 1. Arthur Naifonov (Russia). 2. Dauren Kurugliev (Russia). 3. Magomedsharif Biiakaev (Russia), Arsen-Ali Musalaliev (Russia) 
  • 92 kg. 1. Batyrbek Tsakulov (Russia). 2. Alikhan Zhabrailov (Russia). 3. Anzor Urishev (Russia, Krasnoyarsk Territory), Radik Nartikoev (Russia) 
  • 97 kg. 1. Vladislav Baitcaev (Russia) 2. Magomedkhan Magomedov (Russia). 3. Georgii Gogaev (Russia), Shamil Musaev (Russia) 

Women

• 68 kg. 1. Khanum Velieva (Russia, Krasnoyarsk Territory). 2. Rin Miyaji (Japan). 3. Forrest Ann Molinari (USA), Nasanburmaa Ochirbat (Mongolia) 
  • 72 kg. Ksenia Burakova (Russia). 2. Zhamila Bakbergenova (Kazakhstan). 3. Kristina Dudaeva (Russia), Davaanasan Enkh Amar (Mongolia) 
  • 76 kg. 1. Juan Wang (China). 2. Burmaa Ochirbat (Mongolia). 3. Gulmaral Yerkebaeva (Kazakhstan), Yuanyuan Huang (China).
Edited by jross

https://wrestlingtv.in/ivan-yarygin-2020-kasumov-upsets-world-champion-david-baev-to-win-grand-prix-gold/

Freestyle wrestling:
70 kg.
Final : Israil Kasumov (Russia) beat David Baev (Russia) – 6: 5
Bronze : Evgeny Zherbaev (Russia) beat Arbak Sat (Russia) – 8: 4
Bronze : Chermen Valiev (Russia) beat Alexey Borovitsky (Russia).

61 kg.
Final : Alexander Bogomoev (Russia) beat Ramazan Ferzaliev (Russia) – 11: 5
Bronze : Abasgadzhi Magomedov (Russia) beat Vladimir Kudrin (Kazakhstan) -10: 0
Bronze : Kezhik Chymba (Russia) beat Ibrahim Abdurakhmanov (Russia) – 11: 0

57 kg
Final : Azamat Tuskayev (Russia) beat Akhmed Idrisov (Russia) – 10: 3
Bronze: Aryaan Tyutrin (Russia) beat Peter Konstantinov (Russia) – 7: 2
Bronze : Ramiz Gamzatov (Russia) beat Zhargal Damdinov (Russia) – 6: 0

Women’s wrestling
65 kg.
Final : Maria Kuznetsova (Russia) beat Miyu Imai (Japan) – 8: 0
Bronze : Julia Prontsevich (Russia) beat Dinara Salikhova (Russia) – 3-1
Bronze : Natalya Fedoseeva (Russia) beat Alena Timofeeva (Russia)

59 kg.
Final : Shovovdor Baatarzhav (Mongolia) beat Khadizhat Murtuzalieva (Russia) – 8-0
Bronze : Madina Bakbergenova (Kazakhstan) beat Anastasia Guchok (Belarus) – 4: 4.
Bronze : Anastasia Yakovleva (Russia) beat Yuumi Kon (Japan) – 7: 1

55 kg
Final :Olga Khoroshavtseva (Russia) beat Kana Higashikawa (Japan) – 6: 3
Bronze : Ekaterina Isakova (Russia) beat Natalya Abzalova (Russia) – 4: 1
Bronze : Anastasia Sidelnikova (Russia) beat Nadezhda Tretyakova (Russia) – 8: 4

50 kg
Final : Namuunceceg Tsogt Ochir (Mongolia) beat Nadezhda Sokolova (Russia) – 7-2
Bronze : Angelika Vetoshkina (Russia) beat Dauletbike Yakhshimuratova (Uzbekistan) – 12: 2
Bronze : Lasey Anthony (USA) beat Angelica Fedorova (Russia) – 10-0