Cementmixer103

Nebraska v. PSU

I think this match is close, given the Cassar and Berge injuries. Neb wrestlers seem to always keep it close and I think they match up well here. At 197, Schultz is coming off a big win over AA, Warner. I hope Shak is at 100% but I think this match is a toss-up. I'll take Schultz in a close one.

184 is really intriguing as well. Venz is coming off a loss to true freshman, Assad. Maybe I'm wrong ( I usually am) but I assumed Aaron Brooks is ahead of Abe and that's not good for Venz, if true. My mind says this is another toss up but my gut says Brooks by a takedown.

149 is another toss up.  I don't know much about Purinton but he does have the better record vs national qualifiers (4-5, Verk is 0-7) and common opponents. I'll say NEB wins here, by dec.

Peyton Robb is another guy I don't know much about and I've really been enjoying watching his matches. Nebby has a good one here. Multiple time AA, I think

Bonus will be hard to come by here and will be huge (no sh**! Ha). Does anyone think Nebraska has a shot at winning this? See any potential bonus?

Written below, is wrestlers records, Bonus Point wins/losses and record vs National Qualifiers for this year only. 

125: 

Alex Thomsen 6-9 / 4 BP wins, 3 losses / 1-7 vs NQ's

Brandon Meredith 12-7 / 9 bp wins, 2 losses /1-2 vs NQ's

133:

Ridge Lovett 8-5 / 3 BP wins, 2-4 vs NQ

RBY 12-0, Returning AA, 7 bonus point wins

141:

Chad Red 11-4 / 2x AA / 4 BP wins, 2 losses

3-4 vs NQ this year, 0-1 vs Nick Lee

Nick Lee. 11-0 / 2x AA / 10 BP wins

149:

Collin Purinton 10-5/ 4 BP wins, 4-5 vs NQ

Verk 12-2, NQ, 5 BP wins

157:

Peyton Robb 12-3 / 9 BP wins

Bo Pipher 8-8 / 4 BP wins / 0-6 vs NQ this yr.

165:

Isaiah White 12-2 / Former AA / 0-3 vs VJ

Cenzo Joseph 6-0 / 3x AA, 2x Champ, 4 bp wins this yr

174:

Mikey Labs 13-4 , AA, 9 BP wins, 0-1 vs Hall

Mark Hall 15-0, 3x AA, 1x Champ, 12 BP wins

184: 

Venz 11-5, AA, 8 bp wins. Coming off a loss to true freshman, Abe Assad, last week.

Aaron Brooks 7-0, 3 BP wins

197:

Eric Schultz 15-2, 6 BP wins, 7-1 vs NQ

Shakur Rasheed 2-1, former AA

Hwt:

Christian Lance 9-5, 4 bp wins, 2-3 vs NQ

Seth Nevills 9-0, 5 bp wins

Don't forget 165.  Cenzo has always come out on top but him and white have historically had some reaaaaaally close bouts.  

Realistic dual outcome:

125 - thomsen major meredith 4-0 NE

133 - RBY over Lovett - 4-3 NE

141 - Lee over Red - 4-6 PSU

149 - Purinton over Verk 7-6 NE (possible swing)

157 - Robb over Pipher 10-6 NE (swing)

165 - White over Cenzon 13-6 NE (OT match)

174 - Hall major over Lab 13-10 NE

184 - Venz over Brooks 16-10 NE

197 Shak over Schultz - 16-13 NE

285 Nevills over lance - 16-16 

Comes down to criteria...... 

1 minute ago, JBluegill133 said:

Don't forget 165.  Cenzo has always come out on top but him and white have historically had some reaaaaaally close bouts.  

Realistic dual outcome:

125 - thomsen major meredith 4-0 NE

133 - RBY over Lovett - 4-3 NE

141 - Lee over Red - 4-6 PSU

149 - Purinton over Verk 7-6 NE (possible swing)

157 - Robb over Pipher 10-6 NE (swing)

165 - White over Cenzon 13-6 NE (OT match)

174 - Hall major over Lab 13-10 NE

184 - Venz over Brooks 16-10 NE

197 Shak over Schultz - 16-13 NE

285 Nevills over lance - 16-16 

Comes down to criteria...... 

Meredith just lost to Deaugustino by 1 I don’t see Thomsen majoring him

Not that is will all happen but IMO Nebraska has a reasonable shot to win 125, 149, 157, 184, 197 and 285 and are good enough to pull an upset under the right conditions at 141 and 165 and good enough to keep it close at 133 and 174. If the Iowa meet version shows up they could win the match if the Wisconsin meet version shows up then not happening.  In the Flo Big 10 rankings the two teams are very close. 

24 minutes ago, BLT said:

Not that is will all happen but IMO Nebraska has a reasonable shot to win 125, 149, 157, 184, 197 and 285 and are good enough to pull an upset under the right conditions at 141 and 165 and good enough to keep it close at 133 and 174. If the Iowa meet version shows up they could win the match if the Wisconsin meet version shows up then not happening.  In the Flo Big 10 rankings the two teams are very close. 

One potential influence on the outcome compared to their dual vs Iowa is that dual was in Carver while this one is in Lincoln. 

PSU winning 24-6 wouldn't shock me...but also, neither would Nebraska winning.

I think Shak takes a L here. 

Nick Lee has looked awesome all year. I don't think that changes here. 

I'd love to see White finally get a win over Cenzo. 

Gonna be a fun one.

I am a Nebraska fan, but here's how I see it going:

PSU 18 NU 12

Thomsen dec. Meredith 3-0

RBY dec. Lovett 3-3

Lee dec. Red 3-6

Purinton dec. Verkleeren 6-6

Robb dec. Pipher 9-6

Cenzo dec. White 9-9

Hall dec. Labs 9-12

Brooks dec. Venz 9-15

Schultz dec. Rasheed 12-15

Nevills dec. Lance 12-18

There are literally no huge mismatches in this dual where I'd be inclined to predict a bonus point win.  There are a few home run hitters on both teams (Cenzo, Rasheed, Red,  Venz) but all of those guys are going up against dudes who are VERY unlikely to get mixered or cradled and pinned.

18 minutes ago, Konquest said:

I am a Nebraska fan, but here's how I see it going:

PSU 18 NU 12

RBY dec. Lovett 3-3

Lee dec. Red 3-6

Robb dec. Pipher 9-6

Cenzo dec. White 9-9

Hall dec. Labs 9-12

Brooks dec. Venz 9-15

Schultz dec. Rasheed 12-15

Nevills dec. Lance 12-18

Well sure, but what if Nevills gets caught up in a game of Stratego with Synder in the basement and misses the bus, then it's another 15-15 tie at best.  Anything can happen in dual meets in this new era of failed skin checks & basement sleepovers.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by ionel

Lots of good matches.

Lee vs Red and Cenzo vs White could give any PSU fan heartburn. Even Labriola vs Hall can do that. The two matches I am most interested in are Shak vs Shultz and Brooks vs Venz, especially the latter. Brooks was wearing a big wrap on his right leg vs Rutgers. That was new and I don't think it was really tested in that match. Venz loves to shoot with his right arm to his left to get the trail leg on a left leg lead. That's all in play in this match. Venz will also be the best mat wrestler Brooks has faced and by a wide margin. Venz turns a lot of matches into long mat scrambles and I am interested to see Brooks wrestle this kind of match because it will test him in positions we don't see him in very often. 

Edited by TBar1977

Rdige Lovett

Freshman, 8-5 record, undergoing Trial by Fire, faced #1 Gross on 1-12, lost 13-5.  Took on #2 DeSanto 1-18, (almost pinned DeSanto with arm bar) lost 7-4.  Tonight continues his hardening process stepping into forge against #4 Roman Bravo-Young

Edited by MedicineMan

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My favorite trivia about Joseph vs White is that in the three times they have wrestled there has never been a take down in regulation.

It will be different this time. NCAA's last year has Joseph working harder than ever. History of these two will have him pushing and one of them will score at takedown, Joseph going in or White capitalizing on Joseph's pushing the pace.

Well the last time I did a prediction I was terribly wrong and Nebraska was upset by Wisconsin.  I did see improvement against Iowa even though the score didn't show it, the dual was decided by 3rd period TDs that mostly when Iowa's way. 

Nebraska has the guys to win this dual but a few things need to happen.

Thomsen needs to get a win,  Its really hard to compete in a dual with you keep losing the first match by bonus. If your gonna lose you need to keep it to a DEC.

Lovett needs to get to his offense, if he can get a take down, then he is in his world on top and can control the match. 

The Red that made Murin look average needs to show up. Not the Red that made Moran look above average. 

Purinton still need to earn his rank. Tonight maybe he can show if he belongs in the TOP 25.

Robb could very well be a AA this year. Hes gonna need to get Bonus here to show hes a force to be reckoned with. ( I dont this Berge is going?)

White needs to get over the hump. He has been so close at getting the upset, and I really hope it happens tonight. 

Labs can wrestle with anyone and Hall is no different. Labs can also get majored by Hall pretty easily. Good measuring stick to see where he is and where he needs to be. 

I dont know whats going on with Venz this year but he hasn't looked like the promising AA he did his freshman year. Hopefully he can get back on track against a really good wrestler.

Schulz can wrestle with anyone. If he gets on his offense  he can compete with anyone. I hope he does here.

Lance hasnt really beat anyone worth mentioning. Who knows. He needs to turn it around. 

Nebraska can win. Its gonna be tough, Keep losing matches to decisions, make a few upsets, win the matches your suppose to. Nebraska can win.

My take:

Nebraska beats Penn State 18-12

RBY dec. Lovett 3-3

Lee dec. Red 3-6

Robb dec. Pipher 9-6

White dec. Joseph 12-6 [White finally catches Joseph after many close matches]

Hall dec. Labs 12-9 

Venz dec. Brooks 15-9

Schultz dec. Rasheed  18-9

Nevills dec. Lance 18-12

125-PSU Dec

PSU 3-0

133-PSU Dec

PSU 6-0

141-PSU Maj

PSU 10-0

149-PSU Dec

PSU 13-0

157-Neb Dec

PSU 13-3

165-PSU Maj

PSU 17-3

174-PSU DPin

PSU 23-3

184-PSU Dec

PSU 26-3

197-PSU Dec

PSU 29-3

285-PSU Maj

PSU 33-3

Penn State defeats Nebraska at Nebraska 33-3.

125, 149, 157, 184, 197 are all tossups with pinfall potential at 157(Robb), 174(Hall), and 187(Rasheed).

Edited by nhs67
Stuffs.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

125-PSU Dec

PSU 3-0

133-PSU Dec

PSU 6-0

141-PSU Maj

PSU 10-0

149-PSU Dec

PSU 13-0

157-Neb Dec

PSU 13-3

165-PSU Maj

PSU 17-3

174-PSU Dec

PSU 20-3

184-PSU Dec

PSU 23-3

197-PSU Dec

PSU 26-3

285-PSU Maj

PSU 30-3

Penn State defeats Nebraska at Nebraska 30-3.

125, 149, 157, 184, 197 are all tossups with pinfall potential at 157(Robb), 174(Hall), and 187(Rasheed).

Joseph majors White?  All their matches have been 1-2 pts apart