Sign in to follow this  

Chad Red vs. Nick Lee IN HS state finals

FRL suggested people to watch this so I did.   Good match and seems like a cool atmosphere.   Some super fast nearfall for Lee around 1:55.   Red goes a little (Iowa) Desanto at the end.

Grainy video but includes clock and commentary:

Video from inside the arena:

I was there. The place was rocking. You could feel the crowd, not just hear, feel.

This match had been anticipated for three years. On Indianamat.com there had been years of debate on who was the better wrestler. There were Lee camps and there were Red camps. No amount of "logic" could convert one to the other.  And we know how "logical" these boards can be.

Red's sophomore and junior years (which were Lee's freshman and sophomore years) he was the weight class below Lee. Lee had sat out the regular season with an injury and wasn't expected to wrestle that year. When he entered the state series at the same weight class as Red every Indiana wrestling fan just about wet their pants. It was finally going to happen. No one had any doubt that they were both making the finals.

A lot of Red's reaction at the end had to do with the facts that it was his last high school match and completed an unbeaten high school career and that a lot of people were taking Lee for the win. Lee already had a lose on his resume (freshman year to Micic in his senior year in the state semis).

The crowd was so exhausted from spent adrenaline after that you could hear a person talking across the arena during the next match. As a matter of fact, Joe Lee pinned his opponent in the final two weight classes later in 41 seconds and there was little to no crowd reaction. It was bonkers.

20 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I was there. The place was rocking. You could feel the crowd, not just hear, feel.

This match had been anticipated for three years. On Indianamat.com there had been years of debate on who was the better wrestler. There were Lee camps and there were Red camps. No amount of "logic" could convert one to the other.  And we know how "logical" these boards can be.

Red's sophomore and junior years (which were Lee's freshman and sophomore years) he was the weight class below Lee. Lee had sat out the regular season with an injury and wasn't expected to wrestle that year. When he entered the state series at the same weight class as Red every Indiana wrestling fan just about wet their pants. It was finally going to happen. No one had any doubt that they were both making the finals.

A lot of Red's reaction at the end had to do with the facts that it was his last high school match and completed an unbeaten high school career and that a lot of people were taking Lee for the win. Lee already had a lose on his resume (freshman year to Micic in his senior year in the state semis).

The crowd was so exhausted from spent adrenaline after that you could hear a person talking across the arena during the next match. As a matter of fact, Joe Lee pinned his opponent in the final two weight classes later in 41 seconds and there was little to no crowd reaction. It was bonkers.

I was also there and this was a great description. Ive been to a few Ihsaa state tournaments but i cant think of another one quite like that. Probably because Indianas 4xers usually just crush it in the final, so this being such a highly anticipated match, on top of Red chasing that feet, it was pretty amazing.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:23 PM, 1032004 said:

FRL suggested people to watch this so I did.   Good match and seems like a cool atmosphere.   Some super fast nearfall for Lee around 1:55.   Red goes a little (Iowa) Desanto at the end.

Grainy video but includes clock and commentary:

Video from inside the arena:

that has to be one of the most disgusting acts of unsportsmanlike / classless conduct I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

that has to be one of the most disgusting acts of unsportsmanlike / classless conduct I've ever seen.

So, a 17/18 year old KID loses his head a little after just winning his 4th state title and completing an undefeated h.s. career. .. and you think THAT? You're joking, right?

Edited by PABuck

Show boating at that level is UNACCEPTABLE in any sport - especially in such an honorable sport as WRESTLING.

Assuming "PABUCK" is from PA, I too sat in the audience of 100's of PA wrestling matches - including the last 20  PA state finals, and NEVER have I've seen such gross misconduct.

You have your opinion of the Lee vs. Carr match as I do have mine. 

1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Show boating at that level is UNACCEPTABLE in any sport - especially in such an honorable sport as WRESTLING.

Assuming "PABUCK" is from PA, I too sat in the audience of 100's of PA wrestling matches - including the last 20  PA state finals, and NEVER have I've seen such gross misconduct.

You have your opinion of the Lee vs. Carr match as I do have mine. 

I completely agree. I too am a miserable old man who hates fun.

Pretty cool that Lee was involved in arguably the two most hyped matches in Indiana high school history. His freshman year, there was a ton of trash talk from the southern part of the state that Lee was going to take out Micic, who was #1 in the nation at the time. They hit in the semis and the stadium was rocking for that one too, though Micic completely took it to him which took the crowd out of it a bit. 

The only other match I've witnessed that had the same feel as Red v. Lee was the Dake-Taylor final in 2013. This was essentially that, but for Indiana high school wrestling.

The Indiana tournament is single class and always has a great atmosphere. It's a highly underrated state tournament. The finals under the lights are always electric.