Jump to content
Perry

Iowa vs Penn State

Recommended Posts

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:44 PM, ionel said:

Marinelli has never lost in CHA, this match should be worth the price of admission or the monthly stream fee.

Where's the line on

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHzgPBuTzy0CT-luZGdN- s

 ... say 3.5?

Neither has Cenzo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skikayaker said:

125 Lee pin

133 Toss-up

141 Lee

149 Toss-up

157 Toss-up (if Berge goes, it goes to PSU)

165 Joseph

174 Hall

184 Brooks

197 Rasheed

285 Seth Nevills

Penn State wins this thing in CHA. Hail to Cael for getting his guys ready

Troll job 4/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 Lee pin (6-0)

133 DeSanto dec (9-0)

141 Lee major (9-4)

149 Lugo dec (12-4)

157 Young dec (15-4)

165 Marinelli dec (18-4)

174 Hall dec (18-7)

184 Toss up, leaning Assad (21-7)

197 Toss up, leaning Rasheed (21-10)

Hvy Cass dec (24-10)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, ionel said:

Marinelli has never lost in CHA, this match should be worth the price of admission or the monthly stream fee.

Where's the line on

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHzgPBuTzy0CT-luZGdN- s

 ... say 3.5?

Marinelli has never lost in the regular season. Saying he never lost in CHA is redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Marinelli has never lost in the regular season. Saying he never lost in CHA is redundant.

Pretty sure the match is in CHA and yes he has lost during wrestling season, so ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is some CHA magic it could get real ugly, real quick but I don't think that will happen.  There is a chance PSU can pull it off but too many things have to go right, 4 exactly at 133, 165, 184 and 197.  There is zero chance PSU can pull off all 4 to win.  If I was T&T, this is what I am hoping for:

125:  Lee goes for 6 early but can't get the fall and gets a tech in the 3rd.  5-0

133:  Desanto should pull it off but will be close, expect RBY to score multiple times.  8-0

141:  I would still throw out Murin and hope to lose by minor.  8-3

149:  Lugo by decision.  11-3

157:  Young by decision, he will be working for a major but won't get it.  14-3

165:  I'm calling it, Cenzo wins.  14-6

174:  Hall by dec and Kem is in the match.  14-9

184:  PSU gets another one.  14-12

197:  Warner in a snoozefest.  17-12

285:  Cass wins easily and is never really challenged.  20-12

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Boompa said:

If there is some CHA magic it could get real ugly, real quick but I don't think that will happen.  There is a chance PSU can pull it off but too many things have to go right, 4 exactly at 133, 165, 184 and 197.  There is zero chance PSU can pull off all 4 to win.  If I was T&T, this is what I am hoping for:

125:  Lee goes for 6 early but can't get the fall and gets a tech in the 3rd.  5-0

133:  Desanto should pull it off but will be close, expect RBY to score multiple times.  8-0

141:  I would still throw out Murin and hope to lose by minor.  8-3

149:  Lugo by decision.  11-3

157:  Young by decision, he will be working for a major but won't get it.  14-3

165:  I'm calling it, Cenzo wins.  14-6

174:  Hall by dec and Kem is in the match.  14-9

184:  PSU gets another one.  14-12

197:  Warner in a snoozefest.  17-12

285:  Cass wins easily and is never really challenged.  20-12

 

I agree I think cass wins ,but Nevills is just as big as cass and is really good on top and cass just got ridden pretty hard by Gary Traub I think it will be a pretty close match 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure the match is in CHA and yes he has lost during wrestling season, so ...

When and who did he lose to during the regular season? 

Last I checked he was undefeated his freshman year until BigTens and undefeated his sophomore year until NCAAs.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ionel said:

I said "wrestling season" but perhaps also you have not been to CHA or understand the "Carver affect?" 

Considering the fact that neither BigTens nor NCAAs were held at CHA makes your statement redundant. I stated factually that Marinelli never lost in the regular season to which you responded yes he has lost during the "wrestling" season. What other possible season could we be talking about, duck hunting?

 

Seriously though, whats more impressive to you? Never losing in CHA as a Hawkeye OR never losing in the regular season period as a Hawkeye?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Considering the fact that neither BigTens nor NCAAs were held at CHA makes your statement redundant. I stated factually that Marinelli never lost in the regular season to which you responded yes he has lost during the "wrestling" season. What other possible season could we be talking about, duck hunting?

 

Seriously though, whats more impressive to you? Never losing in CHA as a Hawkeye OR never losing in the regular season period as a Hawkeye?

Perhaps you can't read.  I made no statement about it being more or less impressive.  Just stating it's going to be a great match worth the price of watching because you have a very good Hawkeye who has never lost in Carver up against another very good wrestler.  They take their home turf pretty serious and you've got a guy with a style (the bull) very well suited for CHA who is personaly going to take defending that home mat very seriously.  I've seen some pretty darn good wrestler come into Carver & lose because there seems to be something special there for the Hawkeyes, much more so than most home arenas.  It's not a "regular season" thing, whatever that means. ;_; 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ionel said:

Perhaps you can't read.  I made no statement about it being more or less impressive.  Just stating it's going to be a great match worth the price of watching because you have a very good Hawkeye who has never lost in Carver up against another very good wrestler.  They take their home turf pretty serious and you've got a guy with a style (the bull) very well suited for CHA who is personaly going to take defending that home mat very seriously.  I've seen some pretty darn good wrestler come into Carver & lose because there seems to be something special there for the Hawkeyes, much more so than most home arenas.  It's not a "regular season" thing, whatever that means. ;_; 

Perhaps it is you that cant read. I was asking you what was more impressive. It was an independent statement. 

You started this whole thing out by pointing out that Marinelli has never lost im CHA. 

I pointed out that hes never lost in the regular season.... which includes all of his CHA matches AND MORE.

The fact that hes never lost at CHA is only a portion of him never losing during the regular season, which is a far more impressive feat imo. No im not saying you said that it wasnt. I'm pointing out that him being undefeated in CHA is very very obvious considering hes never lost in a dual or during the regular season.... period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Perhaps it is you that cant read. I was asking you what was more impressive. It was an independent statement. 

You started this whole thing out by pointing out that Marinelli has never lost im CHA. 

I pointed out that hes never lost in the regular season.... which includes all of his CHA matches AND MORE.

The fact that hes never lost at CHA is only a portion of him never losing during the regular season, which is a far more impressive feat imo. No im not saying you said that it wasnt. I'm pointing out that him being undefeated in CHA is very very obvious considering hes never lost in a dual or during the regular season.... period.

Believe Iowa would consider Midlands part of your "regular season" but again not what I was discussing & you clearly are going down a different path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Believe Iowa would consider Midlands part of your "regular season" but again not what I was discussing & you clearly are going down a different path.

Unattached during his Redshirt season. Not part of his official career.

Not going down a different path at all.

Marinelli has been undefeated thus far during the regular season. All of his matches in CHA have taken place during the regular season.

Saying hes never lost in CHA is redundant considering his regular seasons thus far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 - Lee by tech 5-0 Iowa

133 - RBY by decision 5-3 Iowa

141 - Lee by decision 6-5 Penn State

149 - Verk by decision* upset of the night 9-5 Penn State

157 - Young by decision 9-8 Penn State

165 - Marinelli by decision 11-9 Iowa

174 - Hall by decision 12-11 Penn State

184 - Brooks by decision 15-11 Penn State

197 - Warner by decision 15-14 Penn State

285 - Cass by decision 17-15 Iowa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Perry said:

125 - Lee by tech 5-0 Iowa

133 - RBY by decision 5-3 Iowa

141 - Lee by decision 6-5 Penn State

149 - Verk by decision* upset of the night 9-5 Penn State

157 - Young by decision 9-8 Penn State

165 - Marinelli by decision 11-9 Iowa

174 - Hall by decision 12-11 Penn State

184 - Brooks by decision 15-11 Penn State

197 - Warner by decision 15-14 Penn State

285 - Cass by decision 17-15 Iowa

Wow! What a call. Throw a wrench in. A game, healthy Berge returns to the mat and wins a close decision. 18-14 PSU. It's nice to dream! Bwaa haa haa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cael Sanderson has spent the last 9 years proving everyone wrong repeatedly.  His ability to prepare wrestlers for big matches mentally, physically and strategically has been a marvel.  But this year's PSU team just seems to be missing the magic to which we've grown accustomed.  Hall is a near lock to win a title and Lee and Joseph have the look of finalists.  RBY is also very good.  But the rest of their lineup just doesn't have the same panache.  Best example is Rasheed.  Two years ago, he was an undersized terror at 197.  Now, he's trying to come back from injury and just lacking that flair which made him so much fun to watch.  Brooks is a good frosh...and nothing more.  Same for Nevills at Hvy.  Guys like Berge and Veklennen (sp) are solid but neither puts fear into the opposition.  And 125 remains a hole.  Most teams would kill to have a lineup with this much potential.  And, maybe, once healthy, they'll make a surge that will remind all of us how formidable Cael is as a coach.  But right now, the Hawks are wrestling well--and smart--and seem too focused not to dispatch of PSU.  

This dual may be close...or it may not...but this current incarnation of the Nittany Lions doesn't look ready to assert itself as a true challenger.  At least not at this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an Iowa guy that doesn't follow much Iowa outside of wrestling. I've always followed other football teams, etc.  With that said, I feel there is some big time Iowa gold-colored glasses analysis going on here.  People projecting stuff thatis far-fetched.  I'll try to explain my opinions with a little bit of realism.  

 

125:  Lee via tech fall 5-0 Iowa

will tech or pin....let's go for the tech conservatively.

133:  Desanto via decision 8-0 Iowa

This match is really a toss-up.  It always has been a tossup when the Desanto gas tank hasn't broken RBY.  With that said, RBY seems improved this year too with better go's.  Based on Desanto's motor and history, this is still Desanto's to lose, but it could go either way.  RBY could be ahead early, because his skill is better, imo.  Desanto's motor should pull out the win, but don't be surprised at a flip.  We'll go Desanto by dec. 

141:  Lee via major decision 8-4 Iowa

I would like to think Murin can keep this to a decision based on Lee not really being a scoring machine historically.  2019/2020 is a different beast though, and Lee isn't being slowed down.  I don't think Murin can fend off Lee's attacks, and I could see this being lopsided to the tune of 12-4.  I think Lee gets the major.  

149:  Lugo via decision.  11-4 Iowa

Verkleeren is talented and will usually keep the match close.  Lugo has suddenly found ways to score, and his defense will hold off ANY offense Verkleeren can muster.  While Verk has the talent to keep it close, I do feel he has peaked whereas Lugo keeps getting better (albeit low scoring).  Lugo is doing better in scrambles, with single leg attacks and overall defense.  I see this like 8-4 Lugo.  

157:  Young via decision 14-4 Iowa

Opposite of Verk, Pipher is one of those that I feel is getting better.  He keeps matches close and has offense to score.  I think this match will be a Young snoozefest with an 8-5 victory.  

165:  Joseph via decision 14-7 Iowa

Marinelli is one of those guys you never want to rout against, and never want to bet against.  He's also one of those guys that always wrestles Joseph well and blows it at NCAA's.  He's been on the winning end of a few throws that have turned some toss-ups to victories.  I think Joseph is a bit above The Bull right now and will pull out the decision win.  I could see this going either way and hope for Marinelli, but it's hard to bet against Joseph at this stage in the game.  

174:  Hall via dec 14-10 Iowa

Similar to Marinelli, Kemdawg is one of my favorite hawkeyes.  He's intelligent, well-spoken and easy to like.  He does things the right way and never makes excuses.  Hall, unfortunately, is one of the best wrestlers in the nation.  While he may be boring at times, skill-wise, he is top-notch.  Kemerer may keep this thing close to the tune of 7-4, but I feel the match will be less close than it may appear via score.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it nearing major territory like 9-3.  

184:  Brooks via dec 14-13 Iowa

I want to pick Assad here so bad, but Brooks has legit offense.  If you look at the Venz match, you will see Brook score immediately off the whistle.  You will also see Brooks gas a bit and get ridden like a donkey.  Where Venz matches up better against Brooks, I don't feel Assad does.  I do feel Assad can win this match if he keeps it close through 2 periods.  Assad could get the win in the 3rd as well.  I just have a feeling Brooks will have more offense and win by 1 or 2.  I'll go 9-8 Brooks.  

197:  Warner via dec 17-13 Iowa (this could be PSU's only lead of the night with a Rasheed win (14-16 PSU))

As much as I hate to consider many of these tossups going to PSU, this is another one that could very easily be won by them.  I am going to go with Warner in a tight decision, but I hate everything about this match, and Rasheed winning wouldn't surprise me in the least.  I'll take Warner in a 6-5 match.  

285:  Cass via dec 20-13 Iowa (or 17-16 Iowa with a Rasheed win)

I think this match will be close by score, but not by dominance.  I think Cass will score a couple takedowns and have some riding time for the W.  I'll take Cass 5-2.  

Edited by Iscored2onu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

I'm an Iowa guy that doesn't follow much Iowa outside of wrestling. I've always followed other football teams, etc.  With that said, I feel there is some big time Iowa gold-colored glasses analysis going on here.  People projecting stuff thatis far-fetched.  I'll try to explain my opinions with a little bit of realism.  

 

125:  Lee via tech fall 5-0 Iowa

will tech or pin....let's go for the tech conservatively.

133:  Desanto via decision 8-0 Iowa

This match is really a toss-up.  It always has been a tossup when the Desanto gas tank hasn't broken RBY.  With that said, RBY seems improved this year too with better go's.  Based on Desanto's motor and history, this is still Desanto's to lose, but it could go either way.  RBY could be ahead early, because his skill is better, imo.  Desanto's motor should pull out the win, but don't be surprised at a flip.  We'll go Desanto by dec. 

141:  Lee via major decision 8-4 Iowa

I would like to think Murin can keep this to a decision based on Lee not really being a scoring machine historically.  2019/2020 is a different beast though, and Lee isn't being slowed down.  I don't think Murin can fend off Lee's attacks, and I could see this being lopsided to the tune of 12-4.  I think Lee gets the major.  

149:  Lugo via decision.  11-4 Iowa

Verkleeren is talented and will usually keep the match close.  Lugo has suddenly found ways to score, and his defense will hold off ANY offense Verkleeren can muster.  While Verk has the talent to keep it close, I do feel he has peaked whereas Lugo keeps getting better (albeit low scoring).  Lugo is doing better in scrambles, with single leg attacks and overall defense.  I see this like 8-4 Lugo.  

157:  Young via decision 14-4 Iowa

Opposite of Verk, Pipher is one of those that I feel is getting better.  He keeps matches close and has offense to score.  I think this match will be a Young snoozefest with an 8-5 victory.  

165:  Joseph via decision 14-7 Iowa

Marinelli is one of those guys you never want to rout against, and never want to bet against.  He's also one of those guys that always wrestles Joseph well and blows it at NCAA's.  He's been on the winning end of a few throws that have turned some toss-ups to victories.  I think Joseph is a bit above The Bull right now and will pull out the decision win.  I could see this going either way and hope for Marinelli, but it's hard to bet against Joseph at this stage in the game.  

174:  Hall via dec 14-10 Iowa

Similar to Marinelli, Kemdawg is one of my favorite hawkeyes.  He's intelligent, well-spoken and easy to like.  He does things the right way and never makes excuses.  Hall, unfortunately, is one of the best wrestlers in the nation.  While he may be boring at times, skill-wise, he is top-notch.  Kemerer may keep this thing close to the tune of 7-4, but I feel the match will be less close than it may appear via score.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it nearing major territory like 9-3.  

184:  Brooks via dec 14-13 Iowa

I want to pick Assad here so bad, but Brooks has legit offense.  If you look at the Venz match, you will see Brook score immediately off the whistle.  You will also see Brooks gas a bit and get ridden like a donkey.  Where Venz matches up better against Brooks, I don't feel Assad does.  I do feel Assad can win this match if he keeps it close through 2 periods.  Assad could get the win in the 3rd as well.  I just have a feeling Brooks will have more offense and win by 1 or 2.  I'll go 9-8 Brooks.  

197:  Warner via dec 17-13 Iowa (this could be PSU's only lead of the night with a Rasheed win (14-16 PSU))

As much as I hate to consider many of these tossups going to PSU, this is another one that could very easily be won by them.  I am going to go with Warner in a tight decision, but I hate everything about this match, and Rasheed winning wouldn't surprise me in the least.  I'll take Warner in a 6-5 match.  

285:  Cass via dec 20-13 Iowa (or 17-16 Iowa with a Rasheed win)

I think this match will be close by score, but not by dominance.  I think Cass will score a couple takedowns and have some riding time for the W.  I'll take Cass 5-2.  

That's a good realistic take on the dual. The thing about this dual is that it could swing either way, and in my view, your prediction is a small swing toward favoring PSU, and I'm a Pa. boy. Push that swing a bit farther and RBY upsets DeSanto (I don't see this) and Shak takes Warner and PSU wins it. That would be mad Nittany Lion blue and white tinted glasses. It could swing the other way and we will see a blowout by Iowa, not unrealistic considering the location of the dual in CHA. There are so many factors in the dual. I hope it's a close dual, and it really is good for college wrestling, as Iowa has certainly put a formidable squad on the mat this year. They seem to be cultivating the correct attitude, both as a team and among the individual wrestlers. Props to Tom and Terry Brands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125: Lee does Lee things and gets Iowa hype 5-0

133: RBY shuts down the hype by holding his arm behind his back. 5-3

141: Lee breaks whoever. 5-7

149: Lugo falters after that tough loss, and doesnt get back on track. 5-10

157: Berge come back, catches young off guard.  5-13

165: Cenzo follows the hype, as Carver starts to quite, and finally get it done. 5-16

174: Hall in a close one. 5-19

184: Brooks gets back on track. 5-22

197: Shak cradles Warner. 5-28

285: Nevilles pulls it out and becomes a favorite to high aa. 5-31

The forums become a bit chaotic, and annoying to read again for anyone rooting for a team other then psu!

Ok, thats not happening, Iowa in a close one because psu is still psu.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pa in taiwan said:

That's a good realistic take on the dual. The thing about this dual is that it could swing either way, and in my view, your prediction is a small swing toward favoring PSU, and I'm a Pa. boy. Push that swing a bit farther and RBY upsets DeSanto (I don't see this) and Shak takes Warner and PSU wins it. That would be mad Nittany Lion blue and white tinted glasses. It could swing the other way and we will see a blowout by Iowa, not unrealistic considering the location of the dual in CHA. There are so many factors in the dual. I hope it's a close dual, and it really is good for college wrestling, as Iowa has certainly put a formidable squad on the mat this year. They seem to be cultivating the correct attitude, both as a team and among the individual wrestlers. Props to Tom and Terry Brands. 

Hopefully both quotes show up because I think you both expressed my views on this dual better than I could have. Both teams are in it and have paths to victory, although I think Iowa has the easier route. I don't think it's unrealistic that PSU wins 133, 141, 165, 174, 184, 197, and, maybe, HW. If that were to happen, please check up on me the next morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...