Sign in to follow this  
kionga

Illinois vs Michigan Tomorrow

On paper, this is looking to be a tightly contested dual.  Wrestlestat has Michigan winning 18-16.  I jotted down what I thought and it ended up 17-17.  Below are some thoughts with the Coaches' rankings in parentheses.

125)  Cardani (26) vs Medley (33) seems to be a toss-up.  Cardani is ranked higher in every poll I have seen him in, but I think Medley can win this one.

133)  Piotrowski (8) vs Silva (NR) would seem to be lopsided in favor of Illinois.  Interestingly, Wrestlestat has Piotrowski winning a close one, with he and Silva both 3-0 against common opponents.

141)  Duncan (13) vs Mattin (33).  I think this will be closer than the rankings would suggest; Illinois by decision.

149)  Jodeh (NR) vs Storr (8).  Storr major decision.

157)  Barone (NR) vs Lewan (10).  Another match closer than the rankings indicate; Lewan by decision.

165)  Braunagel (13) vs Hughes, or Meisinger, or Van Anrooy (NR).  Illinois wins by major.

174)  Gunther (13) vs Maylor (NR).  Bonus for the Fighting Illini, but how much?

184)  Braunagel (14) vs Embree (13) will be one of the swing matches.  Braunagel seems to be wrestling better than Embree right now.

197)  Wroblewski (NR) vs Striggow (NR).  Another toss-up.

285)  Luffman (31) vs Parris (2).  Bonus for Michigan here, but how much?

With so many toss-up matches, and a few that promise to have bonus point potential, this should be very entertaining.

Joey Gunther goes into a Big Ten match expected to get bonus? Wow that has to be a first, I’m expecting a decision. I hope Silva goes vs Piotrowski, he didn’t vs NW Friday. He’s been at Michigan 1.5 years so far and I don’t think anyone has any idea how good he is yet. I guess that isn’t surprising since he has a total of 11 matches so far, none of which came against anyone of consequence.

To me it’s Michigan favored at 149, 157, and 285. Illinois favored at 141, 165 and 174. Tossups at 125, 184, and 197. And a big giant question mark of where to put 133, #8 vs not rated seems like an obvious Illinois advantage, but who the heck knows with Silva, just not enough data to go on so far.

Edited by Divided42

Gunther’s only bonus win this year so far was a major of a CMU backup.

However, Maylor is 3-9 and has been pinned and teched once each and majored 4 times. 

I certainly wouldn’t expect bonus from Gunther, but it’s not out of the question.

Illinois 20, Michigan 16

125: Justin Cardani (Illinois) over Jack Medley (Michigan) (Dec 3-2)

133: Travis Piotrowski (Illinois) over Austin Assad (Michigan) (Dec 9-7)

141: Dylan Duncan (Illinois) over Cole Mattin (Michigan) (Dec 6-0)

149: Kanen Storr (Michigan) over Mousa Jodeh (Illinois) (MD 14-4)

157: Will Lewan (Michigan) over Eric Barone (Illinois) (Dec 3-1)

165: Dan Braunagel (Illinois) over Reece Hughes (Michigan) (MD 10-2)

174: Joseph Gunther (Illinois) over Max Maylor (Michigan) (MD 15-3)

184: Zach Braunagel (Illinois) over Jelani Embree (Michigan) (Dec 5-4)

197: Jackson Striggow (Michigan) over Matt Wroblewski (Illinois) (Fall 6:59)

285: Mason Parris (Michigan) over Luke Luffman (Illinois) (Dec 11-5)

4 hours ago, southend said:

All the good ones are wrestling for someone else, similar to Indiana and Purdue scenario.

It's hard to keep all the in state talent home no matter where you are at with 9.9 scholarships.

18 hours ago, Gantry said:

Huh, that is interesting - maybe I am a little overly harsh on their local recruiting in the other thread.  Any idea how many of these current starters were top50 recruits? 

I believe just Duncan, and he was right around 50

Edited by MDogg

19 hours ago, Gantry said:

Huh, that is interesting - maybe I am a little overly harsh on their local recruiting in the other thread.  Any idea how many of these current starters were top50 recruits? 

From Flo: Illinois, 2019, rated #11 recruiting class

#11) Illinois Illini

5-Year Cycle: 

2018 - NR

2017 - NR

2016 - #20

2015 - #7

2014 - #5

Top 100 Recruits

#18-Lucas Byrd, OH (125)

#39-Luke Luffman, IL (285)

Class of 2018 #61-DJ Shannon, MO (165/174)

Others: Dom Zaccone, IL (141); Michael Gunther, IL (149); Phil Sims, IL (157)

Why They’re Here: This year’s S32 Champ and Ironman Runner-Up, Byrd committed to Illinois after originally pledging to Maryland. His inclusion makes Illinois solid haul a very good one.

Byrd is among the best contenders for 125’s life-after-Spencer Lee. And in an environment with so many good, young Heavyweights, they get Luffman I ranked as my #3 heavyweight in the class.

Lastly, DJ Shannon gives them a shot in the arm. Shannon delayed entry into college by taking a year at the OTC.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

From Flo: Illinois, 2019, rated #11 recruiting class

#11) Illinois Illini

5-Year Cycle: 

2018 - NR

2017 - NR

2016 - #20

2015 - #7

2014 - #5

Top 100 Recruits

#18-Lucas Byrd, OH (125)

#39-Luke Luffman, IL (285)

Class of 2018 #61-DJ Shannon, MO (165/174)

Others: Dom Zaccone, IL (141); Michael Gunther, IL (149); Phil Sims, IL (157)

Why They’re Here: This year’s S32 Champ and Ironman Runner-Up, Byrd committed to Illinois after originally pledging to Maryland. His inclusion makes Illinois solid haul a very good one.

Byrd is among the best contenders for 125’s life-after-Spencer Lee. And in an environment with so many good, young Heavyweights, they get Luffman I ranked as my #3 heavyweight in the class.

Lastly, DJ Shannon gives them a shot in the arm. Shannon delayed entry into college by taking a year at the OTC.

I missed that Luffman was top 50...so I guess that makes 2 Illini starters who were top 50 recruits.

Wonder how they’re going to manage Cardani and Byrd starting next season. Cardani is undersized for 125...some might say really undersized. Byrd is a true 125 pounder as well. I can’t see either of them going 133 and I also can’t see either sticking around as a backup.

19 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

They're probably alternating him and Assad to see how each performs.

Maybe it’s just me, but after 4+ years of watching Assad wrestle, I have a pretty good feel as to how he is going to perform. He is what he is at this point, especially up a weight at 133. I wanna see Silva out there every single time, especially against good opponents to get a feel for how good he is. He has had 11 matches in 1.5 years, get him out there as much as possible.