MDogg

Apple Valley making NCAA history this year?

Mark Hall

Gable Steveson

Seth Gross

I’m probably missing other Apple Valley alums, but on a combined basis where will Apple Valley alums finish in this year’s team race? Top 10?

Has any other high school ever had 3 alums win NCAA’s in the same year? The fact Apple Valley produced 3 guys currently in the top 6-7 on most P4P NCAA rankings right now is absurd in and of itself.

2 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Mark Hall

Gable Steveson

Seth Gross

I’m probably missing other Apple Valley alums, but on a combined basis where will Apple Valley alums finish in this year’s team race? Top 10?

Has any other high school ever had 3 alums win NCAA’s in the same year? The fact Apple Valley produced 3 guys currently in the top 6-7 on most P4P NCAA rankings right now is absurd in and of itself.

It’s not like they just happened to grow up next door to the high school.

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

It’s not like they just happened to grow up next door to the high school.

4 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Mark Hall

Gable Steveson

Seth Gross

Its very impressive. I can only speak for my own states relevance but I think you see Hilton NY have similar results in the next 2 years.

30 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Davison had Reader, Donahue, Metcalf, and another (?) all wrestling at the same time. 

Paul Donahoe at Nebraska. And Brent’s brother Chase had that kind of talent too imo, RIP.

Mark Hall wrestled and went to school in the Davison system up until 5th or 6th grade as well. I’m thinking Alex Facundo can be their next NCAA champ.

Edited by Divided42

6 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Lakewood St Edward's had JIm Heffernan, Greg Elinsky and Joe Silvestro all at the same time.....Bubba Strauss was around that time as well.

St. Ed’s had a crazy run of something like 17 straight years with at least 1 DI AA. That is downright crazy!

So what exactly would make history for Apple Valley?  Three champs?  I assume 2 from the same HS has been done, has 3?

But that’s certainly far from a sure thing.  I’m guessing one of Gross or Hall don’t win.

57 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So what exactly would make history for Apple Valley?  Three champs?  I assume 2 from the same HS has been done, has 3?

But that’s certainly far from a sure thing.  I’m guessing one of Gross or Hall don’t win.

Who do you think would beat Hall?

23 hours ago, Divided42 said:

Paul Donahoe at Nebraska. And Brent’s brother Chase had that kind of talent too imo, RIP.

Mark Hall wrestled and went to school in the Davison system up until 5th or 6th grade as well. I’m thinking Alex Facundo can be their next NCAA champ.

I am worried more and more about Facundo. He has shown less improvement than his peers.

Went 170 at W#1 and got manhandled. Kennedy is now back at 182, yes, and Facundo back to 160, BUT Gallagher essentially overpowered him, too. Not but 3 weeks after he got dismantled by Valencia.

Just not sure where he fits in now. I was hoping we'd see growth and he'd be 174/184 in college(189 international), but right now he looks small for those projections.

His brother also came out and plateaued quickly(potential and sizewise) in HS.

I hope my fears are well off.

I see Facundo at 165 in college.  He is comfortably wrestling 160 now and I would not be surprised if his alpha shows he could do 152.  If he can build strength while maintaining 165 he'll be fine in college.  AA for sure in my mind.  Nat'l champ is always a crap shoot depending on too many factors between now and full college seasons.  I think 189 is way to high for him.  Doesn't have the frame for it.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:56 PM, MDogg said:

Mark Hall

Gable Steveson

Seth Gross

Tulsa Central had 3 or 4 NCAA champions one year, I believe (might've been All Americans and not NCAA champs, can't remember).  Read it in Jay Hammond's book, but I might be getting some details wrong. Anyway found the link below. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/high-school/john-klein-the-kings-of-wrestling-once-called-central-high/article_6c18438a-bb38-5dd8-8bee-a0cb0ae6c2de.html