MDogg

Apple Valley making NCAA history this year?

But again why are we still talking about this non record pipe dream when TC has 28 NCAA titles, reported 3 or 4 in one year, they also have two coaches in the NW Hall of Fame & produced four 3x NCAA champs.  Can AV really do all that this year?  ;_;

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

But again why are we still talking about this non record pipe dream when TC has 28 NCAA titles, reported 3 or 4 in one year, they also have two coaches in the NW Hall of Fame & produced four 3x NCAA champs.  Can AV really do all that this year?  ;_;

Well was it 3 or 4?  Who were the 3?  I’m not sure if it’s been confirmed that one HS had 3 guys win an NCAA D1 title in the same year.

Edited by 1032004

It would seem to me that it would be extra special to have 3 graduates of the same HS win NCAA Division I championships  in the same year when they are not related.  If it happens for AV this year it would be impressive and from what I have heard, it sounds like it would be a first?

18 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

It would seem to me that it would be extra special to have 3 graduates of the same HS win NCAA Division I championships  in the same year when they are not related.  If it happens for AV this year it would be impressive and from what I have heard, it sounds like it would be a first?

I've googled around and can't find any evidence of Tulsa Central having 3 in the same year.

This article - https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/high-school/john-klein-the-kings-of-wrestling-once-called-central-high/article_6c18438a-bb38-5dd8-8bee-a0cb0ae6c2de.html - mentions some guys including 4 3X champs and 4 MOW's (3 of the MOW's being one of the 3x'ers) but none of them overlapped.   This article - https://okmag.com/blog/guts_and_glory/ - says they had a total of 25 champs, so there's 12 total left across however many years.   I guess it's possible they had 3 in one year but I'd like to see some proof.

And even if they did, the school closed in 1976 and it seems most of their wrestling glory was even prior to that so if it's been done at all it has to have been ~50+ years.

55 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I've googled around and can't find any evidence of Tulsa Central having 3 in the same year.

This article - https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/high-school/john-klein-the-kings-of-wrestling-once-called-central-high/article_6c18438a-bb38-5dd8-8bee-a0cb0ae6c2de.html - mentions some guys including 4 3X champs and 4 MOW's (3 of the MOW's being one of the 3x'ers) but none of them overlapped.   This article - https://okmag.com/blog/guts_and_glory/ - says they had a total of 25 champs, so there's 12 total left across however many years.   I guess it's possible they had 3 in one year but I'd like to see some proof.

And even if they did, the school closed in 1976 and it seems most of their wrestling glory was even prior to that so if it's been done at all it has to have been ~50+ years.

Plus, people didnt learn how to wrestle until the eighties so it wouldn't mean very much anyway.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Who were the 3 or 4 “reported” TC alums who won NCAA titles the same year and what year did it happen? I’m not saying it didn’t happen I’m just saying I’d be able to name them before declaring this thread and conversation moot.

And nobody said Apple Valley is going to break every record held by TC (or others) this year when it comes to alumni production at the NCAA tournament. I was clearly referring to one specific record (3 champs the same year), which even if it isn’t a record is extraordinarily impressive and worth highlighting.

And do you really think Hall, Gross, and Steveson all winning the NCAA tournament this year is a “pipe dream?” At their respective weights I’d say Hall and Steveson are borderline locks and Gross is the favorite. All 3 of them winning isn’t a sure thing but it’s far from a pipe dream. 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Maybe because Moses paid the refs in shekels back when it happened?

8 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Gas on the fire:

are all three from the AV youth system or were they high school transfers? You know the Preps way to be #1.

Both Hall and Gable moved to the AV area when they were in (or going into) 8th grade. Hall from Michigan (via a pit stop on Kentucky) and Steveson’s from Indiana. Don’t know about Gross. 

Both Hall and Gable moved to the AV area when they were in (or going into) 8th grade. Hall from Michigan (via a pit stop on Kentucky) and Steveson’s from Indiana. Don’t know about Gross. 

Pretty sure Gross is a product of their youth system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, stp said:

Does anyone know Mark Hall's overall record jr high through hs, all of the schools combined?    Just curious how many losses he had.

He lost in Kentucky state finals as a 7th grader, plus dropped 2 matches during that season. Those likely to OH schools the team faced.   So that’s 3 in KY. 

He then lost 3 times in his 2nd 7th grade year in Minn. before winning his first of 6 state title.  

His HS record according to Penn St. says 4 losses, so I’m not sure if that is accurate or they just include 9th-12th grade. Although I can’t picture him losing 4 during his true HS time.  Maybe they just “forgot” Kentucky and counted his Minn. time including Junior High. 

As far as repeating the grade the story they gave was his family didn’t want him starting college at too young of age.  Don’t need the thread going off topic just explains why I said 7th grade twice. 

Edited by MadMardigain

8 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Gas on the fire:

are all three from the AV youth system or were they high school transfers? You know the Preps way to be #1.

LOL...kinda like how Blair recruits wrestlers from all over the USA then loudly thumps the "supremacy" of NJ wrestling :D

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

LOL...kinda like how Blair recruits wrestlers from all over the USA then loudly thumps the "supremacy" of NJ wrestling :D

Actually most people hardly consider Blair part of NJ as they don’t compete in the state tournament.

But I agree with the point, 3 national champs in the same year would be extremely impressive regardless of how the kids got into the program, considering it might not have ever been done before by any school public or private.

3 hours ago, grappler6 said:

Bobby had a year in Indiana as well. I believe he lost to Tsirtsis in the finals but my memory is fading.

Two years for Bobby in IN. He is listed as 78-2 in Indiana as a Freshman and Sophomore combined. Undefeated and won his Soph year.  Lost in State quarter-finals which meant the best he could finish was 5th his Freshman year.  But it wasn’t to Tsirtsis.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Two years for Bobby in IN. He is listed as 78-2 in Indiana as a Freshman and Sophomore combined. Undefeated and won his Soph year.  Lost in State quarter-finals which meant the best he could finish was 5th his Freshman year.  But it wasn’t to Tsirtsis.  

Got clarification. Lost to Tsirtsis in the dual.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:18 PM, 1032004 said:

Looks like Lennie Zalesky never won but was a 2x runner-up

https://cbulancers.com/sports/wrestling/roster/coaches/lennie-zalesky/234

I can tell you from first-hand experience that Lennie was as good as any. Cheap tilt artist. Double leg machine. He could bridge like a sonuvagun too- got headlocked first period of the Big Tens vs Jim Martinez (Greco-Roman Olympic Medalist) and didn't get stuck- came back to win the match. It seems he beat the champ both years he was in the finals (Andre Metzger) during the Iowa/Oklahoma duals, but didn't get the decision at NCAAs.

Lennie was a great wrestler- was Champion of Champions at Midlands one year- defeating 4 time NCAA finalist Darryl Burley in semis and NCAA champ/World Silver Medalist  LeeRoy Smith in the finals.

From what I've seen, he's equally a great coach at Cal-Baptist.

Edited by BadgerMon

How about Cedar Rapids Prairie, who had JIm Zalesky (3 time NCAA Chajmpion), Barry Davis (3 time NCAA Champion) and Lenny Zalesky (3 time all-american/2 time NCAA finalist suffering losses to Andre Metzger both times).

Edited by fadzaev2