jerseywrestling

Ohio State vs Minnesota Sunday, January 18, 2020 on BTN

Ohio State vs Minnesota on BTN Sunday, January 18, 2020

EPN_wsfWkAAGm0H?format=jpg&name=large

The Big Ten Network continues to deliver more live action this wrestling season!

Tonight, No. 4 Ohio State Buckeyes will take on the No. 14 Minnesota Gophers at 9PM ET on BTN!

The match will feature 18 ranked wrestlers.

Full Story

https://twitter.com/wrestlingbucks/status/1221460418012569602?s=20

Ohio State's Profile

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Ohio+State

Minnesota's Profile

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Minnesota

NCAA Rankings

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_rankings.php

Best Wrestlers in Ohio State History

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=Best%20Wrestlers%20in%20Ohio%20State%20History

Best Wrestlers in Minnesota History

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=Best%20Wrestlers%20in%20Minnesota%20History

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/
Edited by jerseywrestling

Buckeye fan , can’t figure Sasso out . 2 huge wins this weekend . Seems to have patience of a stone . Different style for sure . Hard dude to take down . I say this having only been able to watch a couple matches this year . 

12 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Sasso #1? Beat 1 and 4 and that avenged 1 of his 2 losses. 

or 2? Boo could be ahead of him

Top 3 for sure I would think after this weekend , based on performance last 2 days my guess . And I say - guess ... but Smith and Romero matches were best of this contest IMO.

Great effort by the Buckeyes tonight on the road and 48 hours removed from wrestling in Carver Hawkeye.  I expected a clunker.  Instead ten guys showed up and wrestled their butts off.  Sammy Houdini pulled off his second consecutive huge win with another great effort.  And Kaleb Romero bounced back nicely with a win over Skatzka.  

Buckeye wrestlers this year look more fresh and relaxed and in the past.  They are smarter tactically.  And their ability to finish shots has improved significantly.  They are--dare I say--well coached.  

Not a fan of either team but good match.

Smith with 2 TD’s in the last 30 seconds to get the major.

Romero with a TD in the last 5 seconds to beat Skatzka.

Solid win for Webster over Jordan.

Moore and Pletcher are really good (although McKee did get first TD).

Gas Tank Gary stalled his butt off to only get majored by Gable.   Gable did have one hard club that Gary took exception to and came back with a little shove.

Heinselman wrestled tough and was in on a lot of shots but couldn’t finish.  McKee has a good shot to AA at 125.

Lee/Sasso 2 was good.

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Sasso #1? Beat 1 and 4 and that avenged 1 of his 2 losses. 

or 2? Boo could be ahead of him

The key is whether or not to simply ignore his loss by fall as a “one off”. Which, I expect rankers  would and should. 

So, I would think it goes like this:

1.  Boo is undefeated with a win over Lee. 

2.  Sasso moves up after beating Lugo and avenging his “real” loss to Lee

3. Lugo.  His only loss was about as close as it can get to Sasso and he has a controlling win over O’Connor. 

4.  O’Connor. His only loss is to Lugo. 

5. Lee. Has 3 losses, 2 to guys above and a DQ that can get treated like Sasso’s other Loss. 

After that, good luck. 

Edited to add:  I know Mauller only has 1 loss, but it is NOT a “good” loss and his ONLY win of note is Thomsen.  As such, he probably stays top 5, but I personally wouldn’t have him there. 

Edited by MSU158

5 hours ago, MSU158 said:

The key is whether or not to simply ignore his loss by fall as a “one off”. Which, I expect rankers  would and should. 

So, I would think it goes like this:

1.  Boo is undefeated with a win over Lee. 

2.  Sasso moves up after beating Lugo and avenging his “real” loss to Lee

3. Lugo.  His only loss was about as close as it can get to Sasso and he has a controlling win over O’Connor. 

4.  O’Connor. His only loss is to Lugo. 

5. Lee. Has 3 losses, 2 to guys above and a DQ that can get treated like Sasso’s other Loss. 

After that, good luck. 

Edited to add:  I know Mauller only has 1 loss, but it is NOT a “good” loss and his ONLY win of note is Thomsen.  As such, he probably stays top 5, but I personally wouldn’t have him there. 

Yeah this seems fair. Maybe Mauller in at 4 or 5.

12 hours ago, muskyjunky said:

Buckeye fan , can’t figure Sasso out . 2 huge wins this weekend . Seems to have patience of a stone . Different style for sure . Hard dude to take down . I say this having only been able to watch a couple matches this year . 

Sasso's gas tank is also much improved from the beginning of the year. That's what won it for him against Lugo and it's what won it for him at the end against Brayton Lee who ironically in his his previous matchups with Sasso really had the upper hand in terms of conditioning and just wore him down.

Edited by DocBZ

12 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Any idea what Steveson was up to in this match? No real push to score a lot of points to maybe get a tech fall. Just kind of let Traub hang around. The dual was still in doubt at that point.

Eh maybe he could've tried a little harder but as I mentioned above Traub was stalling his butt off.

Was kinda interesting in the 3rd his corner was telling him to take town and he chose neutral.  I actually think neutral was a better choice than bottom in case it took him a bit to get out, but I might've actually suggested he take top since I believe he had gotten 8 NF during the prior period.

My takeaways:

125 - Malik continues to be excellent on his feet, but clearly doesn't have the strength to finish or to be truly competitive at the D1 Level.  He seems so so so small.  His shots are lightning.  His technique is beautiful.  His strength is unfortunately keeping him back.  He NEEDS to redshirt next year, and do a NATO Bulk-Job type of lifting regimen, and then CUT to 125.  Put Jacob Decatur out there next year, and tOSU will get similar results.

133 - Jordan Decatur looks sharp.  Gliva isn't a "bad" wrestler, and Jordan made him look like he's Malik at 125.  I really like how Jordan is progressing at this point.  Yes.  The Desanto loss hurts, but I think it helped him understand some things.  A highly touted true freshman ran an absolutely meatgrinder since his redshirt was pulled, and it was nice to seem him, confidently, secure a very nice, controlled, and emphatic win.

141 - Pletcher is lights out this year.  Him and Nick Lee will be EPIC.  I really do believe it's Pletcher/Lee right now for 1/2, with Real Woods knocking on the door at #3 (in my book anyways).

149 - Sasso is now proving that his gas tank issues may be lessening.  That's two wins over Top 6 opponents in two days, and each match came down to the third period, OR MORE!  I do NOT like how easy guys get to his legs, but I understand that it's part of his style.  It's just dangerous if you have a really good finisher and you can't outfunk for some reason (see McKee's first takedown against Pletcher).  I think he rises to ~#3 in the next ranking poll, and is showing that he CAN win this thing come March.

157 - I want to start a "Gas Tank Cleary" thing.  He really never stops wrestling.  As I continue to watch his matches, he keeps it close with everyone. He has no offense, sure, but, he just keeps coming, and his defense is pretty tight.  Unfortunately, it's going to be a toss-up to see if he even qualifies for NCAA's.

165 - Ethan Smith!  He's in probably the toughest weight class in the country, and just keeps coming.  I really really really liked his effort to get the major at the end.  He is going to be a tough out for folks at NCAA's, and may be one of those guys that can pull a class NCAA upset of a Top 8 adversary that propels him into AA status.  He's "right there".

174 - Romero!  The dude should be brimming with confidence right now.  Skatzka is the real deal, and his solidified his Top 8 ranking with that win.  I am VERY happy to see that Romero is becoming what everyone thought he could... an AA threat.  Sure, he's not at the Hall level, but a rematch with Labriola (like this rematch with Skatzka) may yield different results.  He's Tier 2/3 right now at 174, which is still Top 8!

184 - Rocky Jordan.  He's learning a lot right now.  He was very close with Webster, and Owen's a Top 20 guy.  I could see this result reversed at Big 10's, as Rocky continue to progress.  This is now Rocky's spot in my opinion, with Hoffman either needing to bulk up (heavyweight, 197?) or to transfer?  

197 - Kollin Moore.  'Nuff said.  He is freaking awesome.

HWT - Gas Tank Gary did what he needed to do, and it was to limit the damage against Gable "Freaking" Steveson. He did just that.  Bravo to Gas Tank Gary for pushing the pace, and even attempting a few takdowns.  I see Gas Tank qualifying for NCAA's, and maybe pulling an upset on the backside!