jerseywrestling

Ohio State vs Minnesota Sunday, January 18, 2020 on BTN

21 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

Kind of crazy to consider Ohio State, In what many deemed a semi reload year, could have 3 national champs this season.

141: Luke Pletcher

149: Sammy Sasso

197: Kollin Moore

A lot of stars have to align.  Of those three, Kollin is "most likely", and Sasso is "least likely".  

Pletcher / Lee is going to be insane, and they'll probably meet twice before NCAA's (unless someone ducks).  

Sasso has the tools and skillset to win it, but there are around 6-8 that could beat each other at any time at this weight class.  

57 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

My takeaways:

125 - Malik continues to be excellent on his feet, but clearly doesn't have the strength to finish or to be truly competitive at the D1 Level.  He seems so so so small.  His shots are lightning.  His technique is beautiful.  His strength is unfortunately keeping him back.  He NEEDS to redshirt next year, and do a NATO Bulk-Job type of lifting regimen, and then CUT to 125.  Put Jacob Decatur out there next year, and tOSU will get similar results.

133 - Jordan Decatur looks sharp.  Gliva isn't a "bad" wrestler, and Jordan made him look like he's Malik at 125.  I really like how Jordan is progressing at this point.  Yes.  The Desanto loss hurts, but I think it helped him understand some things.  A highly touted true freshman ran an absolutely meatgrinder since his redshirt was pulled, and it was nice to seem him, confidently, secure a very nice, controlled, and emphatic win.

141 - Pletcher is lights out this year.  Him and Nick Lee will be EPIC.  I really do believe it's Pletcher/Lee right now for 1/2, with Real Woods knocking on the door at #3 (in my book anyways).

149 - Sasso is now proving that his gas tank issues may be lessening.  That's two wins over Top 6 opponents in two days, and each match came down to the third period, OR MORE!  I do NOT like how easy guys get to his legs, but I understand that it's part of his style.  It's just dangerous if you have a really good finisher and you can't outfunk for some reason (see McKee's first takedown against Pletcher).  I think he rises to ~#3 in the next ranking poll, and is showing that he CAN win this thing come March.

157 - I want to start a "Gas Tank Cleary" thing.  He really never stops wrestling.  As I continue to watch his matches, he keeps it close with everyone. He has no offense, sure, but, he just keeps coming, and his defense is pretty tight.  Unfortunately, it's going to be a toss-up to see if he even qualifies for NCAA's.

165 - Ethan Smith!  He's in probably the toughest weight class in the country, and just keeps coming.  I really really really liked his effort to get the major at the end.  He is going to be a tough out for folks at NCAA's, and may be one of those guys that can pull a class NCAA upset of a Top 8 adversary that propels him into AA status.  He's "right there".

174 - Romero!  The dude should be brimming with confidence right now.  Skatzka is the real deal, and his solidified his Top 8 ranking with that win.  I am VERY happy to see that Romero is becoming what everyone thought he could... an AA threat.  Sure, he's not at the Hall level, but a rematch with Labriola (like this rematch with Skatzka) may yield different results.  He's Tier 2/3 right now at 174, which is still Top 8!

184 - Rocky Jordan.  He's learning a lot right now.  He was very close with Webster, and Owen's a Top 20 guy.  I could see this result reversed at Big 10's, as Rocky continue to progress.  This is now Rocky's spot in my opinion, with Hoffman either needing to bulk up (heavyweight, 197?) or to transfer?  

197 - Kollin Moore.  'Nuff said.  He is freaking awesome.

HWT - Gas Tank Gary did what he needed to do, and it was to limit the damage against Gable "Freaking" Steveson. He did just that.  Bravo to Gas Tank Gary for pushing the pace, and even attempting a few takdowns.  I see Gas Tank qualifying for NCAA's, and maybe pulling an upset on the backside!  

Gliva is pretty bad, Smith has been doing well but beating a bad MN kid does not tell much. Romero wrestled the same match vs Skatzka he did earlier but managed to get a late TD this time, not exactly a major change in performance. 

24 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

You laugh, but in the 3rd period, especially in the last minute or so... he actually did.  Granted, he got taken down for the major, but... he did push.  

For the most part, no he didn't.  He backed up all over the mat.   He "pushed" in maybe the last 30 seconds then was promptly taken down (and Gable already had the major previously).

Edit: But don't get me wrong, he did his job.  I'm sure that's what he was told to do.

Edited by 1032004

31 minutes ago, BLT said:

Gliva is pretty bad, Smith has been doing well but beating a bad MN kid does not tell much. Romero wrestled the same match vs Skatzka he did earlier but managed to get a late TD this time, not exactly a major change in performance. 

Sure.. downplay it... lol

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

For the most part, no he didn't.  He backed up all over the mat.   He "pushed" in maybe the last 30 seconds then was promptly taken down (and Gable already had the major previously).

Edit: But don't get me wrong, he did his job.  I'm sure that's what he was told to do.

Considering that Gable has completely obliterated other heavies outside the Top 10, and is considered one of the best heavies in both folk/free, Gas Tank Gary did a phenomenal job at preventing the additional 1 or 2 team points.  He stalled, sure.  He got called for it.  But... he didn't stall out.  He pushed when he needed to, and prevented what could have been a slaughter.  

20 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Sure.. downplay it... lol

There was nothing that happened in those 3 matches to downplay. 2 wins vs crappy wrestlers and a guy winning 2-1 on a late TD vs losing 1-0 again. 

There was nothing that happened in those 3 matches to downplay. 2 wins vs crappy wrestlers and a guy winning 2-1 on a late TD vs losing 1-0 again. 

O’Reilly isn’t a crappy wrestler. Has a couple wins over lower ranked guys/national qualifiers. Placed at Vegas. Will likely qualify for nationals himself. Was a poor outing for him, but that isn’t the O’Reilly you will see every match out. Not in Smith’s class but not a crappy wrestler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Eh maybe he could've tried a little harder but as I mentioned above Traub was stalling his butt off.

Was kinda interesting in the 3rd his corner was telling him to take town and he chose neutral.  I actually think neutral was a better choice than bottom in case it took him a bit to get out, but I might've actually suggested he take top since I believe he had gotten 8 NF during the prior period.

Of course Traub was stalling.  He was also 20 pounds lighter and not half as skilled. What was he supposed to do?  Shoot from space?  Didn't matter.  If Steveson really wanted the TF, he'd have gotten it.   Between his several little cheap shots and the way he just stopped pushing, I'd say that Steveson looked like a guy with some underlying issues.  You think guys like Mocco, Rowlands or Snyder would have failed to get the TF?  

9 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Of course Traub was stalling.  He was also 20 pounds lighter and not half as skilled. What was he supposed to do?  Shoot from space?  Didn't matter.  If Steveson really wanted the TF, he'd have gotten it.   Between his several little cheap shots and the way he just stopped pushing, I'd say that Steveson looked like a guy with some underlying issues.  You think guys like Mocco, Rowlands or Snyder would have failed to get the TF?  

Snyder winning 15-10 vs Nevills comes to mind. 

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Not back up the whole time

You're fixated on a 235 pound Hvy being pushed backwards constantly by a stronger, heavier and more skilled opponent. 

Do you think it's remotely possible that he had a game plan put together by his staff that he was trying to follow?   Because you are only making sense if his objective was to help Gable score more points.  Since this looked to be a close dual, and the objective was to help his team win, I think Gary did a good job of limiting damage.  I also think Steveson could have done a lot more and stopped trying.  If I were a Minny fan, I'd focus more on what Steveson didn't do than his opponent.    

During the third period, it appeared as though Gable's plan was to push Traub around until he got DQ'd for stalling. Traub however, kept circling in and did not seem to tire. Very few level changes or movement from Gable other than the pushing. With the dual on the line, I had hoped to see him go for the pin. 

8 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

You're fixated on a 235 pound Hvy being pushed backwards constantly by a stronger, heavier and more skilled opponent. 

Do you think it's remotely possible that he had a game plan put together by his staff that he was trying to follow?   Because you are only making sense if his objective was to help Gable score more points.  Since this looked to be a close dual, and the objective was to help his team win, I think Gary did a good job of limiting damage.  I also think Steveson could have done a lot more and stopped trying.  If I were a Minny fan, I'd focus more on what Steveson didn't do than his opponent.    

I agree, I already said he did his job and was probably told to do that.  But doesn't change the fact that he stalled his butt off (I do disagree that Gable was "constantly pushing him backwards").  Yes, he often circled in to prevent from going OOB, but he was still backing up.

I also already said that I thought Gable should have taken top.   I think he got 8 NF in the 2nd, if he did that again (obviously easier said than done) he would've gotten the tech.

Gable just beat Traub significantly worse than anyone else has this year, including Cass & Hilger. Not sure why people are getting down on Gable. Like Snyder, he’s never been a pinner.

125 - Malik continues to be excellent on his feet, but clearly doesn't have the strength to finish or to be truly competitive at the D1 Level.  He seems so so so small.  His shots are lightning.  His technique is beautiful.  His strength is unfortunately keeping him back.  He NEEDS to redshirt next year, and do a NATO Bulk-Job type of lifting regimen, and then CUT to 125.

spot on

Lee/Sasso was a good one.  Sasso has some crazy good defense, so I'm surprised Lee didn't opt for going down in the 3rd.  I know he's really good on his feet, but he's going to have to prove he can get off bottom at some point.  Might as well try in a January dual against an opponent he could see two more times this year.

Back to Sasso, I'm not sure if letting guys get to his legs so easily will pay off for him in March.

16 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Different circumstances.  Snyder needed a pin to win the dual so he tried big moves against a larger opponent.  

Snyder thought he needed to pin him but all he needed was the major and OHST would have won the dual on total match points. Good one Tom.

3 hours ago, unbiased said:

Snyder thought he needed to pin him but all he needed was the major and OHST would have won the dual on total match points. Good one Tom.

He needed to win by 13 points. That would have given the match to tOSU based on total match points scored. A simple major wouldn't have done it.

19 hours ago, simple said:

Gable just beat Traub significantly worse than anyone else has this year, including Cass & Hilger. Not sure why people are getting down on Gable. Like Snyder, he’s never been a pinner.

People are getting down on Gable because you need your best wrestler to push for as many bonus points as possible in a dual that was still in doubt when the match started. He just kind of hung out after he got a lead. If he wanted a tech fall, he would have gotten it. He didn't want it.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

People are getting down on Gable because you need your best wrestler to push for as many bonus points as possible in a dual that was still in doubt when the match started. He just kind of hung out after he got a lead. If he wanted a tech fall, he would have gotten it. He didn't want it.

Snyder needing to get bonus+ against a Top 5 opponent is significantly different than Gable going for bonus+ against a team's backup that is only wrestling consistently because the starter is out for the season, and that the backup is a Cinderella story of sorts, because he quite frankly just didn't "belong" on a roster like Ohio State's.  But now... Gas Tank Gary's pedigree and desire to compete, "against all odds" is winning the hearts and minds of most everyone in the wrestling community.  It's a good story.  It feels good, and I'm very happy for the guy!

9 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Snyder needing to get bonus+ against a Top 5 opponent is significantly different than Gable going for bonus+ against a team's backup that is only wrestling consistently because the starter is out for the season, and that the backup is a Cinderella story of sorts, because he quite frankly just didn't "belong" on a roster like Ohio State's.  But now... Gas Tank Gary's pedigree and desire to compete, "against all odds" is winning the hearts and minds of most everyone in the wrestling community.  It's a good story.  It feels good, and I'm very happy for the guy!

It's a cool story but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  He was an OH state runner-up, had 41 wins (30 outside of a redshirt year) prior to this season, and I believe had already beaten Singletary in a wrestleoff last year.

As I believe someone else mentioned, he held Hillger and Hall to decisions against him, so it's not like a tech or pin should have really been expected from Gable IMO, especially considering how bad Traub was stalling (as he should have been).

Edited by 1032004