spladle08

Joe Smith the purest example of burnout?

He just doesnt have it, and I cant get on the injury wagon.

Seems like a great example of an "I don't care anymore" athlete.

Gfeller will always "have it" but I think he struggles with the everyday "student athlete" tasks....

2 of my favorite Cowboys but sad either way.

Joe Smith is a great example of when you don’t want to wrestle, but your dad is one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time so he makes you wrestle. It really seems like a sad situation. Someone mentioned in a thread last night that it seems like everyone knows Joe doesn’t want to be there except for John Smith.

Edited by goheels1812

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

Joe Smith is a great example of when you don’t want to wrestle, but your dad is one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time so he makes you wrestle. It really seems like a sad situation. Someone mentioned in a thread last night that it seems like everyone knows Joe doesn’t want to be there except for John Smith.

Probably a fatherly lesson about finishing what you start.

Oh I didn't see this (my drunk a$$ was just rewatching last nights dual and thought "this kid does not want to wrestle")

Haha whoever said "everyone knows it but John". Is soooo spot on.

Just now, TobusRex said:

Probably a fatherly lesson about finishing what you start.

Eh maybe. But that’s a fine fine line to teaching your kid about not quitting and forcing them to do something they aren’t interested in. Joe has accomplished more in wrestling than most. There’s no shame in walking away at this point.

Also Joe Smith is a grown ass man lol. We aren’t talking about a 9 year old playing rec league basketball once a week and telling his dad he doesn’t like it. Then his dad telling him no son you need to finish the 3 month season.

No logical person on this board or anywhere else would look down on Joe for walking away. The only person who would look down on him is seemingly his dad.

I also am definitely not claiming to know this first hand, but the okie state wrestling board has some interesting posts over there regarding Joe. Basically to the effects of he gets his own set of rules. Comes to practice late, skips practices when he wants, etc. Again, who knows if there’s any truth to that, but some of the posters over there are pretty adamant that Joe is playing by his own rules and John is allowing it. 

Meh, I don't know what's happening with Joe. HEW? Maybe, that happens a lot in wrestling. Injuries, maybe? Joe did beat a pretty tough Sammy Colbray the day after his embarrassing loss to Steiert.
The talent is undeniable brother. Just i think everyone here knows he was/is capable of so much more. I just genuinely think hes over wrestling, the pressure, expectations, dad, physicality....It's just a demanding sport and has demanded extra from him

6 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:
Meh, I don't know what's happening with Joe. HEW? Maybe, that happens a lot in wrestling. Injuries, maybe? Joe did beat a pretty tough Sammy Colbray the day after his embarrassing loss to Steiert.

The talent is undeniable brother. Just i think everyone here knows he was/is capable of so much more. I just genuinely think hes over wrestling, the pressure, expectations, dad, physicality....It's just a demanding sport and has demanded extra from him

If that's the case he needs to go blow off some steam and get his **** together.

Let me clarify my above post before this thread roasts me into oblivion. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all to finish what you start whether you’re a grown man or a young kid. BUT I also think mental health and doing what you love is important. AND I think it’s important to finish without interfering with others living out their dreams. Aka chandler Rogers. Lets just think about, who deserves to finish their dream of wrestling in college more: chandler or joe? Because Chandler got absolutely railroaded by John Smith/Okie State in that situation. And that was an awful way for his career to finish. So there we have an example where Joe is maybe or maybe not being forced to “finish what he started” and directly screwing over a kid who actually wanted to be there. 

Let me clarify my above post before this thread roasts me into oblivion. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all to finish what you start whether you’re a grown man or a young kid. BUT I also think mental health and doing what you love is important. AND I think it’s important to finish without interfering with others living out their dreams. Aka chandler Rogers. Lets just think about, who deserves to finish their dream of wrestling in college more: chandler or joe? Because Chandler got absolutely railroaded by John Smith/Okie State in that situation. And that was an awful way for his career to finish. So there we have an example where Joe is maybe or maybe not being forced to “finish what he started” and directly screwing over a kid who actually wanted to be there. 
That Rogers thing was real weird.
Man I dunno. "Finish what you start" great premise.
"Keep doing this even if you hate it"
Less appetizing
"We will make sure you get catered to regardless of your actions" (speculative)
Food poisoning

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Less appetizing
Food poisoning

Bingo. Can’t say it any better. There’s “finish what you start” and then there’s whatever the hell joe smith is doing and it’s weird and looks horrible from the outside. 

In the beginning of the season Nelson brands beat colbray and went from unranked to 8 and was being billed as the next big thing, joe smith beats colbray and there is a whole thread about how he doesn’t care and should just walk away, maybe he’s just working his way back into shape. I agree the UNI match was ugly but it was only his 4th match this year and he got it done today

20 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In the beginning of the season Nelson brands beat colbray and went from unranked to 8 and was being billed as the next big thing, joe smith beats colbray and there is a whole thread about how he doesn’t care and should just walk away, maybe he’s just working his way back into shape. I agree the UNI match was ugly but it was only his 4th match this year and he got it done today

Or alternatively maybe Colbray isn’t as good as the board thought he was? He’s 10-6 on the year with his only noteworthy win being a 3-2 victory over Embree of Michigan.

Maybe Joe will be fine, but he’s 3-2 on the year with a 7-2 loss to Lorenzo De La Riva.... I’m not sure I’d pound the “Joe Smith will be fine drum” over beating Colbray. 

Edited by goheels1812

What was Roger Moore alluding to when talking about Kaden Gfeller right before the ISU match? He said, "go do your homework, find out about Gefeller. Dusty Hone will be at this weight the rest of the season." Does this suggest that Gfeller is in the doghouse for skipping classes or his grades dropped below the acceptable level to wrestle? Sure sounds like it. 

It's good to see him get back in the line-up.  UNI thumped us pretty good, but today was a better day.  Just looking at it from a developmental point of view, the Pokes are going to be relevant again next year.  I feel like these freshmen wrestle like Espo...he may not have been the absolute best, but he brought it.  I think the  Poke message board spends a lot more time talking about this freshman group and the senior level guys than anything else.  It's tough to coach your own boy.  A lot of great men have found it didn't work for some reason or another. 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Or alternatively maybe Colbray isn’t as good as the board thought he was? He’s 10-6 on the year with his only noteworthy win being a 3-2 victory over Embree of Michigan.

Maybe Joe will be fine, but he’s 3-2 on the year with a 7-2 loss to Lorenzo De La Riva.... I’m not sure I’d pound the “Joe Smith will be fine drum” over beating Colbray. 

A win over Colbray can get you ranked 6th, but it won't necessarily keep you in the lineup.

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Less appetizing
Food poisoning

I haven't followed it super closely, but doesn't Ok St have other guys wrestling less than ideal weights to make room for Joe at 174? Seemed like it used to be about having a stronger dual team, but that seems like a lost cause.