BigTenFanboy

Kobe Bryant

49 minutes ago, jchapman said:

You mean Bryant flew, in fog so dense that the LA Police grounded their helicopters, for 20 years?

“Bad weather would not necessarily have prevented Bryant’s helicopter from flying, because it should have been equipped with instruments that allow pilots to fly in inclement conditions, experts said.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-27/kobe-bryant-crash-and-helicopter-safety%3f_amp=true

But, yeah, it looks like the weather definitely played a part.  I guess he figured “I’ve done this a million times, no big deal,” just like Schultz probably figured “this dude is crazy, but it’s not like he’s gonna kill me or something.”

Edited by LCpl Schmuckatelli

4 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He was an accused rapist, being a great athlete doesn’t make him a good person.  Or maybe by beautiful man you think he was attractive, if so you are entitled to your own opinion. 

Accused being the operative word, and the part of the allegations (rape) that was backed off of.  No doubt there was some impropriety. 

Being a great athlete does not make someone a great man, what they do and work toward at home, and away from the court does. Some great athletes are also great fathers and do things that have positive impact on scores and scores of people. Even their mistakes withstanding. 

Some judge people on their worst moment. Others, well...

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Accused being the operative word, and the part of the allegations (rape) that was backed off of.  No doubt there was some impropriety. 

Being a great athlete does not make someone a great man, what they do and work toward at home, and away from the court does. Some great athletes are also great fathers and do things that have positive impact on scores and scores of people. Even their mistakes withstanding. 

Some judge people on their worst moment. Others, well...

I don't think it is wrong to judge someone on their worst moment, especially if it is a bad moment like rape or murder.

To the a$$hats that are being a$$hats here? Eat $HlT. Kobe is one of the hardest working athletes that have ever existed.

If you cannot recognize his impact he had domestically in most stages of athletics, then you need to stop, take a step back, and just quit posting anything. Steer clear from it until you know how to not be an a$$hat.

PM me for details if you need instructions on how.

Otherwise show respect to those wishing to show respect.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

To the a$$hats that are being a$$hats here? Eat $HlT. Kobe is one of the hardest working athletes that have ever existed.

If you cannot recognize his impact he had domestically in most stages of athletics, then you need to stop, take a step back, and just quit posting anything. Steer clear from it until you know how to not be an a$$hat.

PM me for details if you need instructions on how.

Otherwise show respect to those wishing to show respect.

Only a real A$$hat would try to censor others opinions 

If you came on this thread and took out time out of your day to say something negative on a day of death and gloom, you're clearly looking to argue for no reason.

This thread was created to show appreciation for someone who impacted and influence a lot of lives. 

RIP to Mr. Bryant, his daughter, the Altobelli's and other victims. 

God speed to their friends and families. 

https://twitter.com/iAmPatDowney/status/1221543791976493062

https://twitter.com/tapatio_125/status/1221565717725765637

https://twitter.com/GSteveson/status/1221519269915250688

https://twitter.com/greentoepalacio/status/1221550896611459075

https://twitter.com/WhoIsJamesG/status/1221532401538564096

Edited by FriendlyCamper

I was never a big Kobe fan, but this is certainly a terrible tragedy, particularly for his surviving family.  Being out here near LA, it's especially magnified.

It's starting to emerge that he was flying in heavy fog, that actually grounded police helicopters, which may have played a role in the crash.

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Only a real A$$hat would try to censor others opinions 

Don't be a fckn ponce.

I'll take the a$$hat moniker for calling other a$$hats a$$hats. It bothers me none.

I thought much better of your moral standards, OH. Oh well. I am wrong about many things every day. Add to the list.

19 hours ago, BTC said:

No one is trying to force their convictions on others. It was wit whiz who took issue with the post and chose to respond in a negative way. No one is forcing anyone to view this topic. If he or anyone else has a problem with a post of this nature dont even respond. It's an azzwhole move to do so, plain and simple. 

RIP to everyone on board the flight.

On the contrary - I think it's clear that some posters are attempting to force their convictions on others. Please take the time to re-read all the posts again and you'll understand. Even you, saying (essentially) "it's an azzwhole move to respond negatively to this post". What's negative? To disagree with your statements? That's some Nazi talk right there.

As I said in my earlier post.. "It's good that some may want to post best wishes on the internet for an athlete that has passed. Nothing wrong with that at all." Posting positive wishes is always all good. Take the time to re-read the post.

Who died in 2020 so far? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2020

A whole lot of people who are very important and had a huge impact on a lot of people have passed in only this last month.

From the list, the one that really sticks out to me is the passing of Jim Lehrer (from PBS NewsHour.) He was really something special and had a ton of impact on a lot of people for 40+ years. He moderated (12) presidential debates and seems nearly impossible to replace.

Yes. Kobe is on the list, too.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

First, I would say that it is poor timing and taste to bring up the "rape accusation", but obviously people have a right to their comments. With that said....

I will say this on the "accusation".  I was just that.  An accusation.  I can say this.  I have a very good friend who was new the girl on an acquaintance level.  Again, that means he did not know her well and not more than a "hey what's up" level.  I asked him once what he thought.  He was pretty objective.  He said he didn't really know.  He did say that he he saw her out and partying pretty hard a couple times.  To be accurate he was not saying he thought she was lying or the accusations were or were not false. He was saying that there were several different ways he could have seen it going.  He said he didn't know her well enough to say that she was lying, but that he could have seen a scenario where she had been drinking or maybe did do something.  From our conversation he felt he wasn't willing to go so far to say that she was maybe calling it rape when it wasn't, but also that he wasn't willing say that it didn't happen.  Take from it what you want.  Each person will probably have their own opinion. 

35 minutes ago, scramble said:

First, I would say that it is poor timing and taste to bring up the "rape accusation", but obviously people have a right to their comments. With that said....

I will say this on the "accusation".  I was just that.  An accusation.  I can say this.  I have a very good friend who was new the girl on an acquaintance level.  Again, that means he did not know her well and not more than a "hey what's up" level.  I asked him once what he thought.  He was pretty objective.  He said he didn't really know.  He did say that he he saw her out and partying pretty hard a couple times.  To be accurate he was not saying he thought she was lying or the accusations were or were not false. He was saying that there were several different ways he could have seen it going.  He said he didn't know her well enough to say that she was lying, but that he could have seen a scenario where she had been drinking or maybe did do something.  From our conversation he felt he wasn't willing to go so far to say that she was maybe calling it rape when it wasn't, but also that he wasn't willing say that it didn't happen.  Take from it what you want.  Each person will probably have their own opinion. 

So your acquaintance basically said "Maybe so, maybe not."

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

On the contrary - I think it's clear that some posters are attempting to force their convictions on others. Please take the time to re-read all the posts again and you'll understand. Even you, saying (essentially) "it's an azzwhole move to respond negatively to this post". What's negative? To disagree with your statements? That's some Nazi talk right there.

As I said in my earlier post.. "It's good that some may want to post best wishes on the internet for an athlete that has passed. Nothing wrong with that at all." Posting positive wishes is always all good. Take the time to re-read the post.

Who died in 2020 so far? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2020

A whole lot of people who are very important and had a huge impact on a lot of people have passed in only this last month.

From the list, the one that really sticks out to me is the passing of Jim Lehrer (from PBS NewsHour.) He was really something special and had a ton of impact on a lot of people for 40+ years. He moderated (12) presidential debates and seems nearly impossible to replace.

Yes. Kobe is on the list, too.

My whole point is it's just a dbag move to respond negatively when others are trying to pay their respects to the deceased. Going out of your(not necessarily saying you but others like witwhiz) way to be negative especially about a topic like this ain't cool.

It's a huge stretch to compare me calling someone an dbag on here to nazi rhetoric. Not like I'm calling for violence against those who disagree. 

Edited by BTC

21 hours ago, witwhiz said:

Not being forced to agree but it's an "azzwhole move" to disagree.  Ooooookay.

Such a wonderful person you are for expressing your condolences with respect to Kobe Bryant on a wrestling forum.  But if you're such a wonderful person, why publicly call someone an "azzwhole" just because he thinks it an inappropriate topic for the forum?

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Just like no one forced you to go out of your way to be an azzwhole when people are trying to pay their respects. I called you an azz cause you exhibited azz like behavior. 

It’s not even about forcing opinions or suppressing opinions. It’s about simple human decency and tact. 

I could call out to my neighbor across the street “hey you should put down the pizza you appear to have grained 20lbs since I moved in here”. Now I’m within my rights to do that and in doing so I would be speaking the truth.....but decency and tact keep me from doing so. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/01/27/kobe-bryant-dont-shy-away-nba-legends-legacy/4584605002/

From the editorial:

In 2003, Bryant was charged with sexual assault and false imprisonment. He did not admit guilt but his statement when the case was dropped was a stunning admission of culpability, and he later settled a lawsuit with the woman.

"I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did,” he said the statement. “After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”

----------------------------------

Those complaining about this being brought up - WHY? It is part of what the guy was and he did pay off the victim after she dropped the charges and filed a civil action. He admitted culpability.

Kobe was also a selfish player way too often and many still think he ran off Shak so he would not have competition for the spotlight.

He is dead and all he did is part of the legacy, good and bad. Carping about those who bring up reality and trying to censor them is asinine.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

Schultz knew he was living with a mentally unstable person.  Bryant was just doing what he’d done for 20 years.

Let's be honest guys - who among us has not been commuting to work in their private helicopter for the past 20 years?