Class of 1970

Wyatt Sheets, OK State

5 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

I don't know who Mike Sheets is and had forgotten about Ruth, don't even know where he goes to school, so maybe?

Mike sheets is a 4 time AA ,3 time finalist, 2 time champ for Oklahoma state and Ed Ruth little brother is a freshman at Lehigh not nearly on his brothers level at this point.

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Mike sheets is a 4 time AA ,3 time finalist, 2 time champ for Oklahoma state and Ed Ruth little brother is a freshman at Lehigh not nearly on his brothers level at this point.

Sure, Edmond might not be on 3X national champ level, but let's remember Ed was never even a PIAA champion.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

I don't know who Mike Sheets is and had forgotten about Ruth, don't even know where he goes to school, so maybe?

Youngster! Mike Sheets was a college stud back in the 80's. When he was in HS he wrestled Kenny Monday in a highly heralded match of unbeatens. It ended in a tie. Both guys went to OSU and did pretty well for themselves. 

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/okstate/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=361

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Sure, Edmond might not be on 3X national champ level, but let's remember Ed was never even a PIAA champion.

Correct but didn’t he win a national prep title in his year at Blair ? I’m not hating on younger Ruth I think he ll be an AA a time or 2 in his career

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Correct but didn’t he win a national prep title in his year at Blair ? I’m not hating on younger Ruth I think he ll be an AA a time or 2 in his career

Well Edmond was 2 time champ and 1 time runner up in PA.  A national prep title is nice but I would say younger Edmond was better in high school than Ed was.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Youngster! Mike Sheets was a college stud back in the 80's. When he was in HS he wrestled Kenny Monday in a highly heralded match of unbeatens. It ended in a tie. Both guys went to OSU and did pretty well for themselves. 

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/okstate/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=361

Sorry I didn’t start wrestling until 1996 as a high school freshman. He’s was a stud for sure!

3 hours ago, Class of 1970 said:

Having holes in the lineup applies to all teams except Iowa.

I think that OK State U. having the rich tradition of winning and also having one of the best amateur wrestlers of all time as coach, should never have a lineup with as many holes as they have this year. I realize that injuries, Olympic redshirt, and a de- commitment from a very talented heavyweight all contribute to this year's porous lineup. Iowa having a team with no holes in the lineup is a rare situation for any team. I think holes mainly come from the modern era limitation of scholarship money. This has created greater parity. 

There's only one hole.... and it's at heavyweight. OSU is going to send 9 guys to NCAAs, Sheets being one of them, and I would bet that Sheets and Montalvo are two that are going to be seeded low with a great opportunity to upset some people and advance at least a couple of rounds. 

Heck... even Reece Witcraft is a thrower that can make some things happen. 

OSU has nine top 25 wrestlers in the lineup this year... and it's a rebuilding year! Don't listen to the Flo guys when they say that OSU isn't going to place in the top 10. It's not realistic. 

Then when you start getting into next season? If this is the lineup they run out... you can't seriously tell me they won't compete for a title. 

125: Daton Fix - NCAA Finalist. Junior world champ. Senior world team member. 

133: Kaid Brock - 2x AA. Top 15 recruit. 

141: Kaden Gfeller - Top 15 recruit

149: Boo Lewallen - Returning AA. Top 25 recruit. 

157: Wyatt Sheets -or- one of the redshirt freshmen - A couple of top 30 recruits. Sheets getting better. 

165: Travis Wittlake - Cadet world medalist. Top 6 recruit. Current top 10 NCAA as Rs Fr. 

174: Dustin Plott - Top 2 recruit. 

184: Dakota Geer - Returning AA.

197: AJ Ferrari - #1 Recruit. 

HWT: Shawn Streck - NCAA qualifier from Purdue. 

That's a contending lineup... Iowa will be great again. Penn State probably will be too. Nebraska, Cornell, etc. Will be good too... but if you're counting out Oklahoma State, you're very mistaken. 

@Lee C : I hope you are right and Brock is back at 133 next year. He was getting horsed a lot at 141. It might be too much to expect him to get back down to 133 though, he's been eating good for a couple years now and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come back a little fatter yet.  I think it might be a bit optimistic to expect Kaden at 141. He didn't look that good at 141 this year and I think he performed better at 149. Boo looks downright skeletal to me and I think he needs to move back up to 157. He's having a great year, but he sure looks skinny. 

Agreed that OSU will have a very good team next year, provided the guys all end up at the weights you project. Daton will make the finals at either 125 or 133, Brock should be a semifinalist at 133 (provided he gets down to 133), Kaden is a mystery after his complete crapout last year at NCAAs, but I think he's a talented scrapper and if he makes the NCAAs next year he'll be a veteran and I think he AAs. Sheets could make low-AA next year if he keeps improving, and is a darkhorse for low-AA this year. Wittlake will finish in top 6, Plott - no idea, Geer - top 6, Ferrari - no idea, Streck - R16? 

I'm eager to see what AJ Ferrari and Dustin Plott can do, love watching the youngsters getting their first taste of D1. OSU is definitely a top 5 team next year, maybe better than that. If the youngsters pan out I see 9 solid AA prospects...provided guys line up like you say :D 

2 hours ago, Lee C said:

There's only one hole.... and it's at heavyweight. OSU is going to send 9 guys to NCAAs, Sheets being one of them, and I would bet that Sheets and Montalvo are two that are going to be seeded low with a great opportunity to upset some people and advance at least a couple of rounds. 

Heck... even Reece Witcraft is a thrower that can make some things happen. 

OSU has nine top 25 wrestlers in the lineup this year... and it's a rebuilding year! Don't listen to the Flo guys when they say that OSU isn't going to place in the top 10. It's not realistic. 

Then when you start getting into next season? If this is the lineup they run out... you can't seriously tell me they won't compete for a title. 

157: Wyatt Sheets -or- one of the redshirt freshmen - A couple of top 30 recruits. Sheets getting better. 

165: Travis Wittlake - Cadet world medalist. Top 6 recruit. Current top 10 NCAA as Rs Fr. 

That's a contending lineup... Iowa will be great again. Penn State probably will be too. Nebraska, Cornell, etc. Will be good too... but if you're counting out Oklahoma State, you're very mistaken. 

You think daton will go 125 next year?  Personally I think that would be great him going down to 125, probably the only one that can keep Spencer Lee from being a 4 timer

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You think daton will go 125 next year?  Personally I think that would be great him going down to 125, probably the only one that can keep Spencer Lee from being a 4 timer

Maybe in FS Fix might beat Lee, but no way in Folk, especially after a year of sitting out of folk while Lee has been crushing people.  I'd like to see Fix go 125, but because I think it helps OSU, not because he can beat Lee. 

Edited by TobusRex

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Against 4xer's or against Lee?

18 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Maybe in FS Fix might beat Lee, but no way in Folk, especially after a year of sitting out of folk while Lee has been crushing people.  I'd like to see Fix go 125, but because I think it helps OSU, not because he can beat Lee. 

I wouldn’t say no way, I don’t think lee turns fix...it’s more then likely a 1 takedown match and I don’t think you can count fix out of that 

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I wouldn’t say no way, I don’t think lee turns fix...it’s more then likely a 1 takedown match and I don’t think you can count fix out of that 

You could have a point on that. Still, I think Fix's passivity against high level guys will kill him against Lee. 

3 hours ago, Lee C said:

If this is the lineup they run out... you can't seriously tell me they won't compete for a title. 

Not a bad lineup but I'd keep Montalvo in there, he is improving.  Doubt he can go 74 so keep at 84 put some meet on Geer in the off season & save Ferrari for a year.  Hard to count on freshmen (why have 2?) if there by Jan scuffle you'll know.  That makes for experience at 9 weights and just need a guy at 174, maybe Stika or Plott.

I would think Ferrari redshirts a year in order to put on weight to go at heavyweight since the transfer from Purdue will be at heavyweight assuming he behaves himself around the coeds. 

But not sure if Ferrari would allow a redshirt or not. If they think they have a real chance for a title next season then Ferrari has to be in the lineup.  They cannot afford any weak weights. OSU has to jump a level in talent to compete with PSU and now Iowa. I don't know how Nebraska suddenly resurrected themselves to become a contender, but they have. Next season Geer and Montalvo might have to do ranking matches to see who goes at 184 if Ferrari is at 197. The upside for Montalvo looks to be tremendous. Nice to have that kind of depth for next season. Plott has to go at 174. I have to wonder how Shomers would have done if he was given the chance to stay at 157 during his Cowboy career. Why is Gfeller not in the lineup any longer?

Edited by Class of 1970
to add more information

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

The way Lee gasses?  Fix is the favorite.

2 hours ago, LJB said:

counting on ferrari to be there is iffy...

a little birdy told me he got his scholly pulled...

Your little bird is way off. Ferrari is about as disciplined as they come. Very strict on the diet. Only wants to compete. Strong family dynamic. He's not going anywhere else and his scholarship certainly wasn't pulled. Just trying to drum up the, what, three OSU fans on here? Come on. 

4 minutes ago, Lee C said:

Your little bird is way off. Ferrari is about as disciplined as they come. Very strict on the diet. Only wants to compete. Strong family dynamic. He's not going anywhere else and his scholarship certainly wasn't pulled. Just trying to drum up the, what, three OSU fans on here? Come on. 

Then why does he bounce around high schools constantly.