Class of 1970

Wyatt Sheets, OK State

36 minutes ago, Class of 1970 said:

I would think Ferrari redshirts a year in order to put on weight to go at heavyweight since the transfer from Purdue will be at heavyweight assuming he behaves himself around the coeds. 

But not sure if Ferrari would allow a redshirt or not. If they think they have a real chance for a title next season then Ferrari has to be in the lineup.  They cannot afford any weak weights. OSU has to jump a level in talent to compete with PSU and now Iowa. I don't know how Nebraska suddenly resurrected themselves to become a contender, but they have. Next season Geer and Montalvo might have to do ranking matches to see who goes at 184 if Ferrari is at 197. The upside for Montalvo looks to be tremendous. Nice to have that kind of depth for next season. Plott has to go at 174. I have to wonder how Shomers would have done if he was given the chance to stay at 157 during his Cowboy career. Why is Gfeller not in the lineup any longer?

Ferrari needs to go 197. He isn't big enough to get that heavy. He's maybe 6' tall and doesn't have the frame of a heavyweight. Compare that to a guy like Kirkvliet or Steveson, who are both over 6'3" and have enormous frames, and Ferrari would be biting off way more than he can chew. 

The comment about Streck is unnecessary. He made a mistake and he is getting a second chance after being very thoroughly vetted. 

The best bet is that Ferrari stays at 197 for his career and Kyle Haas is the one that bumps up to heavyweight. Haas is 6'2" or so and has a good frame to put on the weight to go heavy. 

I don't know why G isn't in the lineup this year. John Smith said it was grades. Idk. If he's not the guy... Brevin Balmaceda has been having a solid redshirt season at 141 so he possibly goes. Maybe Kaid goes 141, Fix goes 133, and one of the freshmen goes 125. Maybe Kaid goes 133 and Witcraft goes 141. I don't know. My bet is that G gets things straightened out after a year off. 

4 minutes ago, Lee C said:

I don't know why G isn't in the lineup this year. John Smith said it was grades. Idk. 

he told uncle john right before his last start that he didn't "feel good"... hasn't been in the line up since... john wasn't impressed...

2 minutes ago, Lee C said:

He went to Blair because he wanted to compete against the best... I don't know what caused the move to Bergen and then back to Texas. I don't care to speculate either.

there is no need to specualte why he left blair... he was expelled... and the reason is widely known...

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

@Lee C : I hope you are right and Brock is back at 133 next year. He was getting horsed a lot at 141. It might be too much to expect him to get back down to 133 though, he's been eating good for a couple years now and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come back a little fatter yet.  I think it might be a bit optimistic to expect Kaden at 141. He didn't look that good at 141 this year and I think he performed better at 149. Boo looks downright skeletal to me and I think he needs to move back up to 157. He's having a great year, but he sure looks skinny. 

Agreed that OSU will have a very good team next year, provided the guys all end up at the weights you project. Daton will make the finals at either 125 or 133, Brock should be a semifinalist at 133 (provided he gets down to 133), Kaden is a mystery after his complete crapout last year at NCAAs, but I think he's a talented scrapper and if he makes the NCAAs next year he'll be a veteran and I think he AAs. Sheets could make low-AA next year if he keeps improving, and is a darkhorse for low-AA this year. Wittlake will finish in top 6, Plott - no idea, Geer - top 6, Ferrari - no idea, Streck - R16? 

I'm eager to see what AJ Ferrari and Dustin Plott can do, love watching the youngsters getting their first taste of D1. OSU is definitely a top 5 team next year, maybe better than that. If the youngsters pan out I see 9 solid AA prospects...provided guys line up like you say :D 

I think Plott is a threat to be a finalist as a freshman at 174. That weight class almost completely clears out after this season... and he's proven himself against some of the top freshman and redshirts at 184 this season.