Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State holes

Penn State has significant holes at 125, 149, 157 and maybe even 197.  At 125 Penn State is still searching for a wrestler capable of qualifying for NCAAs.  They haven't had one since Suriano left.

149 - Verkleeren has shown flashes but just got pinned this weekend by Purrinton.  He may qualify for March but don't count on him winning any matches.

157 - Berge still out of action.  If he doesn't come back soon he won't be able to qualify given he has only wrestled 1 match this year and I don't see him getting an at-large bid.

197 - Rasheed looks like a shell of himself.  Absolutely zero offense, also lost this weekend versus Nebraska.  Injury and the bump up in weight is bothering him.

My bet is Penn State scores a total of 3 points out of these 4 weights at NCAAs.  Even that may be generous.

13 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Penn State has significant holes at 125, 149, 157 and maybe even 197.  At 125 Penn State is still searching for a wrestler capable of qualifying for NCAAs.  They haven't had one since Suriano left.

149 - Verkleeren has shown flashes but just got pinned this weekend by Purrinton.  He may qualify for March but don't count on him winning any matches.

157 - Berge still out of action.  If he doesn't come back soon he won't be able to qualify given he has only wrestled 1 match this year and I don't see him getting an at-large bid.

197 - Rasheed looks like a shell of himself.  Absolutely zero offense, also lost this weekend versus Nebraska.  Injury and the bump up in weight is bothering him.

My bet is Penn State scores a total of 3 points out of these 4 weights at NCAAs.  Even that may be generous.

Do you have a plan?

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you have a plan?

Nothing for 125.  They just don't have a Big 10 caliber guy on the roster currently.

149 - You have to go with Luke Gardner

157 - Can't do anything about Berge's health.

197 - Same with Shak.

Maybe going with Gardner yields you another point at NCAAs?

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Nothing for 125.  They just don't have a Big 10 caliber guy on the roster currently.

149 - You have to go with Luke Gardner

157 - Can't do anything about Berge's health.

197 - Same with Shak.

Maybe going with Gardner yields you another point at NCAAs?

Byers said on Friday that Cael said Berge made a lot of progress recently and a had a very good week, making it seem like he ll be back sooner rather then later 

26 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Byers said on Friday that Cael said Berge made a lot of progress recently and a had a very good week, making it seem like he ll be back sooner rather then later 

So do they expect him to wrestle again this season?  Hard to trust Cael-speak given how he treated Suriano "he's downstairs drilling right now"

Gardner at 149 might not actually be a terrible idea.  Even if Verk wins any matches at NCAA's highly unlikely he gets any bonus.   Either way, yeah few points likely.

I'm assuming Berge is back for NCAA's and scores some points.

Even if Rasheed doesn't place, you'd have to think he's got a decent shot at some bonus in the consi's which could be 3-4 points right there.

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Gardner at 149 might not actually be a terrible idea.  Even if Verk wins any matches at NCAA's highly unlikely he gets any bonus.   Either way, yeah few points likely.

I'm assuming Berge is back for NCAA's and scores some points.

Even if Rasheed doesn't place, you'd have to think he's got a decent shot at some bonus in the consi's which could be 3-4 points right there.

That's the thing...Rasheed hasn't shown any of the bonus magic this year.  Even in past years he would pin guys in the first 30 seconds and if matches went longer he would gas out.

This year he just does a lot of standing around for 3 periods.  If he wins, it's not with bonus points.  His bonus percentage this year is 0%.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

I mean he's only wrestled 4 matches, his 2 losses were probably to top 15 guys.   He did beat Pagano 6-0 who isn't bad (interestingly enough, Beard majored Pagano, hmm...).   The main one he probably "should have" bonused was the guy from Illinois but that was his first match back so I think he can get a break for that one.

His performance since coming back certainly shouldn't be inspiring much confidence in PSU fans, but he has only wrestled 4 matches so there's still time to improve. 

Edited by 1032004