Crash

Doesn't Sound Like Pico is interested in Tokyo

Somewhat expected.  If he’s back to winning and his handlers and/or Bellator don’t see him having a clear  Olympic birth then they won’t be pushing him to make the trials.  Sure being an Olympic medalist can help his marketing, but losing in the Olympic trials isn’t going to do much and at this point just an Olympic Qualifier won’t push his career to far after the early loses.  It just take away from him training MMA.   He’s are only a few losses away from some time off and a reboot if he wants to try again, for the money Bellator put into him they likely want to get the fights out of him soon to see if some consistent tweaking will help salvage his young career.  Taking a year off for the Olympics won’t do that.  

Edited by MadMardigain

41 minutes ago, sidakova4991 said:

Let's be honest, he wouldn't have made the team.  When was the last time he competed in freestyle?  2016?

He was a decent junior level guy, but nothing special.  His wrestling certainly isn't world-class like the commentators try to have us believe it is.  

I agree. My memory sucks but wasn’t Molinaro a huge surprise, as in didn’t compete for a while then made the team in 2016?

1 hour ago, sidakova4991 said:

Let's be honest, he wouldn't have made the team.  When was the last time he competed in freestyle?  2016?

He was a decent junior level guy, but nothing special.  His wrestling certainly isn't world-class like the commentators try to have us believe it is.  

he was a cadet wolrd gold medalist, a junior silver and bronze medalist, and the next year took molinaro to the third match of the team trial finals...

in between all of that, he also beat Safaryan a year after he was a world gold medalist... won a couple of senior level international tourneys and medaled in several more...

to say he was just a decent junior level is just irresponsible and taints every opinion you may put forth in the future...

had he continued in wrestling, there is no reason to believe he would not have been our rep the last several years... 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, LJB said:

he was a cadet wolrd gold medalist, a junior silver and bronze medalist, and the next year took molinaro to the third match of the team trial finals...

in between all of that, he also beat Safaryan a year after he was a world gold medalist... won a couple of senior level international tourneys and medaled in several more...

to say he was just a decent junior level is just irresponsible and taints every opinion you may put forth in the future...

had he continued in wrestling, there is no reason to believe he would not have been our rep the last several years... 

Was never able to win the big one.  Stick to MMA, be a decent fighter and earn some money for your future.  This guy he just fought was 279th in the division.   

10 minutes ago, rod_frufit said:

Was never able to win the big one.  Stick to MMA, be a decent fighter and earn some money for your future.  This guy he just fought was 279th in the division.   

So silly...

he quit wrestling when he was 19 after he had accomplished more than 99.9% of all who put on the shoes ever do...

think about that for a second... who can anyone name who was their best wrestler at 19 years old?

he piss pounded our world rep in 17 and 19 every time he faced him... I believe it was 6-0 all time...

pico took a different path and Odin bless him for doing it... but, every one who discounts what he did in his wrestling career can kick rocks... 

2 hours ago, LJB said:

So silly...

he quit wrestling when he was 19 after he had accomplished more than 99.9% of all who put on the shoes ever do...

think about that for a second... who can anyone name who was their best wrestler at 19 years old?

Felipe Martinez.  

31 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I really don’t know why Pico is still a topic, he couldn’t make the team when he trained full time. Look at how Askren looked and he actually made a team. Why does anyone think Pico could even compete with any of the top 6 or so at this point. 

Your first sentence is stupid. Your second sentence has no bearing. Your third sentence is very intelligent.

Edited by bnwtwg
sp

he is a topic because of what could have been...

what other 19 year old has been in the finals of our team trials and forced a 3rd match during those?

he wasn't in his physical prime at the time... he would be hitting it right now in this cycle... had he continued i have little doubt he would be our rep for tokyo barring something catastrophic...

and he did it while forsaking this country's lame a$$ folk system, which, is the real reason he is his not held in the regard he should be... too many monkey butt's in this country... 

2 hours ago, LJB said:

he is a topic because of what could have been...

what other 19 year old has been in the finals of our team trials and forced a 3rd match during those?

he wasn't in his physical prime at the time... he would be hitting it right now in this cycle... had he continued i have little doubt he would be our rep for tokyo barring something catastrophic...

and he did it while forsaking this country's lame a$$ folk system, which, is the real reason he is his not held in the regard he should be... too many monkey butt's in this country... 

He hasn’t wrestled a match since forcing that 3rd match 4 years ago, which is my point. So how long do you think you’ll play the coulda shoulda woulda?

13 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He hasn’t wrestled a match since forcing that 3rd match 4 years ago, which is my point. So how long do you think you’ll play the coulda shoulda woulda?

i'm not playing anything... just explaining how ridiculous it is to downplay what he accomplished as a wrestler...

20 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

That is exactly what you are doing when you say “what could have been”

cry me a river... i am not saying woulda/coulda/shoulda...

pico doesn't wrestle anymore... i believe if he had continued to wrestle, he would still be at the pointy end of 65 in our country like he was at 19 years of age... i feel like he would have definitely improved after a full olympic cycle and would just now be hitting his physical prime which is approximately 23-25 for a male... to suggest anything otherwise is just being ignorant, which, would not be unusual for this bbs... 

i don't believe he could just stroll into the trials right now and be a threat to any of the top guys without full dedicated wrestling training of at least a full year...

26 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Dynamite input clown

he is not wrong... although calling anything you contribute as "very intelligent" is a bit of a stretch, i will let it slide in this instance...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

cry me a river... i am not saying woulda/coulda/shoulda...

pico doesn't wrestle anymore... i believe if he had continued to wrestle, he would still be at the pointy end of 65 in our country like he was at 19 years of age... i feel like he would have definitely improved after a full olympic cycle and would just now be hitting his physical prime which is approximately 23-25 for a male... to suggest anything otherwise is just being ignorant, which, would not be unusual for this bbs... 

i don't believe he could just stroll into the trials right now and be a threat to any of the top guys without full dedicated wrestling training of at least a full year...

Or shoulda coulda woulda, keep living in the past. The guy gave it up, I think it’s time you gave it up too. But thanks you just keep making my point for me. 

23 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Or shoulda coulda woulda, keep living in the past. The guy gave it up, I think it’s time you gave it up too. But thanks you just keep making my point for me. 

there is nothing to give up, flapjack...