moveurfeet32

D1 Coaches who are not afraid to tell The Truth

It will be interesting to see whether airing the laundry so publicly and so specifically (naming names, calling guys liars, saying you are going to treat them like kids, etc.) will be an effective technique, or if it will just cause them to tune you out. I am not arguing for coddling, I am just wondering if this will be an effective technique. Or would a coach be better served blasting the kid privately and being vague publicly? Order probably matters. If he has already blasted them privately over each of these issues then perhaps they are not as inclined to revolt. 

Many moons ago, I was a high school coach and the local paper was covering one of our duals.  We got hammered and I was interviewed.  I talked about how the other team was more prepared and aggressive.  When I read my words, my thought was: "well, who's fault is that?"  

Someone needs to get Dresser a mirror.  

4 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Many moons ago, I was a high school coach and the local paper was covering one of our duals.  We got hammered and I was interviewed.  I talked about how the other team was more prepared and aggressive.  When I read my words, my thought was: "well, who's fault is that?"  

Someone needs to get Dresser a mirror.  

Hence why the "micro managment" is taking place.

I appreciate honesty in a coach's comments, but what sort of rubs me the wrong way is the unwillingness of these coaches to criticize themselves.  Particularly listening to Dresser, you'd think that the reason they lost to Okie State has 100% to do with the wrestlers' life choices and 0% to do with any coaching shortcomings.  And maybe that's true, but do we really know?

The title for this thread should probably be "D1 Coaches who are not afraid to criticize their wrestlers" or "not afraid to speak their mind."  Whether what they are saying is true is another matter.  

Edited by BAC

Poor Coach Goodale.  Dude legitimately thought Ashnault and Suriano would be his springboard to the upper-tier of D1 wrestling.  But the recruits still aren't there, he's stuck with a bunch of middling talents, and the face of his program may not even return for his senior season.  LOL at RU fans

1 hour ago, LemonPie said:

Poor Coach Goodale.  Dude legitimately thought Ashnault and Suriano would be his springboard to the upper-tier of D1 wrestling.  But the recruits still aren't there, he's stuck with a bunch of middling talents, and the face of his program may not even return for his senior season.  LOL at RU fans

Goodale could've moved on to a number of jobs but is a NJ guy and doesn't want to leave.Imagine you know that but you  just hate Rutgers so you couldn't resist

Edited by calot

A few takeaways from these videos:

1) Greg Schiano seems frustrated in his 1st season coaching Rutgers wrestling....

2) Dresser going to the five and dime for a malt wearing that sweater?

3) How long before Colbray enters the transfer portal?

4) Iowa State has underachieved since you know who left. This is a legacy program. If this is what it takes to kick them into gear, then the snowflakes can leave. Love it publicly as a fan but do not cry when the kids bash Boomer on social media.. 

Edited by Greatdane67

Big Rutgers fan and love what Goodale has done over the years but really wish he would keep some of this stuff in house.  I never understood why a coach needs to personally bash kids in the media.  Wouldn't bringing this stuff up in the practice room achieve the same affect?

On a separate note, Janzer is a treat to watch wrestle.  Dude is tough as nails and a gamer.

1 hour ago, Juanma25 said:

Big Rutgers fan and love what Goodale has done over the years but really wish he would keep some of this stuff in house.  I never understood why a coach needs to personally bash kids in the media.  Wouldn't bringing this stuff up in the practice room achieve the same affect?

On a separate note, Janzer is a treat to watch wrestle.  Dude is tough as nails and a gamer.

Imagine he's brought it up in the practice room until he's blue in the face.Todays kid doesn't care what the people next to him think they care what everyone else thinks.Social media has made it that way.

21 minutes ago, calot said:

Imagine he's brought it up in the practice room until he's blue in the face.Todays kid doesn't care what the people next to him think they care what everyone else thinks.Social media has made it that way.

Ok...this isn’t close to correct. 

You think kids don’t care what their coaches think anymore? Come on

14 hours ago, LemonPie said:

I, along with many, have you blocked for obvious reasons.  Unfortunately your drivel was quoted.  Goodale isn't going anywhere - he has a great gig in a great wrestling state with excellent turnout for every event.  The recruits this year are excellent.  They are young and it is a rebuilding year, but there is not a better freshman class top to bottom.  Aguilar Alvarez, Aragona, Angelo, Turley, and Janzer are all top flight guys.  Add in Glasgow, Kanniard, and perhaps some contributions from Esposito and the future looks bright.   Poznanski and O'Neill coming in next year also.   Not PSU or Iowa, but also not in the middle of a pasture blanketed with snow either. 

Edited by TFBJR

It does seem to me that college coaches are hired for their wrestling ability and not their ability to work with kids.  A coach that is good at both seems to do well, but there are not many.

28 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I thought I liked Kevin Dresser back in the day but the more I think about it, he just seems to whine and carry on like a baby. 

You'll find that many Division I coaches whine and carry on like babies. 

55 minutes ago, teach said:

It does seem to me that college coaches are hired for their wrestling ability and not their ability to work with kids.  A coach that is good at both seems to do well, but there are not many.

I think the PSU coaching staff does a good job at both.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Ok...this isn’t close to correct. 

You think kids don’t care what their coaches think anymore? Come on

I think they care what the coach says doesn't mean they're gonna do what he says.When being called out in front of teammates wrestlers usually laugh amongst each other afterwards that coach lost it.So after yelling until your blue in the face you try a different avenue.And with social media and getting likes kids care more about that then anything else.