BAC

DeSanto - Love/Hate/Love

This kid is giving me whiplash with the love/hate/love sentiment he's triggered in me the past few years.

In high school, I LOVED that he refused to go to a different weight as a senior, seeking out a rematch with Lee after getting teched the year before.  I LOVED that he won that match, refusing to let up in the third period.  I LOVED that after that match, even when Lee gave him credit and wouldn't use his injury as an excuse, DeSanto made a point of volunteering that Lee clearly was favoring his leg and wasn't at 100%.  And I LOVED that he stuck with his commitment to Drexel -- and that he continued to make noise there as a freshman with his relentless style.

But I HATED that another side started to show at Drexel -- seemingly trying to injury his opponents.  The match with Charles Tucker was an eye-opener, and the NCAA match against Micic was horrifying.  I HATED that he transferred to Iowa -- not just because I'm no fan of them, but also because his bad tendencies were apt to get worse there, not reined in.  And once at Iowa, as expected, I HATED that not only did he continue with physical unsportsmanlike conduct, he added a verbal component to it too, jawing repeatedly at opponents and generally making an ass of himself.

Yet now the pendulum is swinging back again.  He's openly admitted his past conduct has been out of bounds and needs to change, and so far this year, he's been pretty well disciplined.  He's continued to be relentless and has upped his technique too, and for the most part he hasn't acted like a douche when, for example, losing to Gross.  All good.  And I loved his last match against OSU, where he destroyed the kid the "right way" -- breaking the kid, but more to get the tech than to be an ass, and then getting the hell off the mat without adding any BS shoves/jawing.

Hope DeSanto stays this way as I want to root for him.

Kid is a gamer and tough as nails. No one is perfect and you take the good with the bad and I for one would love to have him on my team. I guarantee you there are many many athletes in other college sports that have done WAY worse things than he has...

Edited by DocBZ

5 minutes ago, BAC said:

This kid is giving me whiplash with the love/hate/love sentiment he's triggered in me the past few years.

In high school, I LOVED that he refused to go to a different weight as a senior, seeking out a rematch with Lee after getting teched the year before.  I LOVED that he won that match, refusing to let up in the third period.  I LOVED that after that match, even when Lee gave him credit and wouldn't use his injury as an excuse, DeSanto made a point of volunteering that Lee clearly was favoring his leg and wasn't at 100%.  And I LOVED that he stuck with his commitment to Drexel -- and that he continued to make noise there as a freshman with his relentless style.

But I HATED that another side started to show at Drexel -- seemingly trying to injury his opponents.  The match with Charles Tucker was an eye-opener, and the NCAA match against Micic was horrifying.  I HATED that he transferred to Iowa -- not just because I'm no fan of them, but also because his bad tendencies were apt to get worse there, not reined in.  And once at Iowa, as expected, I HATED that not only did he continue with physical unsportsmanlike conduct, he added a verbal component to it too, jawing repeatedly at opponents and generally making an ass of himself.

Yet now the pendulum is swinging back again.  He's openly admitted his past conduct has been out of bounds and needs to change, and so far this year, he's been pretty well disciplined.  He's continued to be relentless and has upped his technique too, and for the most part he hasn't acted like a douche when, for example, losing to Gross.  All good.  And I loved his last match against OSU, where he destroyed the kid the "right way" -- breaking the kid, but more to get the tech than to be an ass, and then getting the hell off the mat without adding any BS shoves/jawing.

BAC - that was well written. I hope he stops in this forum to see what you had to say about him. It will only motivate him even more to stay on the right track. 

11 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

He didnt just refuse to go a different weight class, he specifically came down a weight class having wrestled 132 all season before dropping to 126 with the sole purpose of wrestling Spencer Lee again.

thats exactly what I read in the Patriot News that year. What was he like 50 - 0 that year, something like that.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

53 - 0!!!  Yes I enjoyed following his matches, especially during states

I believe because of his win over Lee, Gavin Teasdale was named first team All Asics Team, Desanto second team and Spencer third team at 126 (strange that all 3 are at Iowa.) Before going into the state finals Desanto was ranked 4th in the country at 126.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Hats off to DeSanto. Not only that, hats off to Tom and Terry Brands. Coaching and the mindset that good coaching instills is partly responsible for this change. 

Exeter High School, just east of Reading, not an hour from where I grew up. Definitely not Central Pennsylvania!

Kids like DeSanto need wrestling and wrestling needs kids like DeSanto.

I love watching him compete to the limits of the rules and the limits of himself as he raises his own bar.

I hope he is as succesful or more in life than he is on the mat.

Edited by KSchlosser

On 1/27/2020 at 6:22 PM, Marcus Cisero said:

I read in the Iowa forum that Lee often makes a point to run over to say something to DeSanto in the tunnel before he gets on the mat. I would love to know what he says to him!

If I remember correctly, he did it at a recent match right there on the mat as he was exiting and ADS was walking toward the center.  I think it was Purdue, and I also think that ended up being one of his few incidents this year with some jawing with his opponent after the final whistle blew.

As others have pointed out, he's a full package.  The intensity and courage that it took to go down a weight class to put an undefeated season on the line in order to challenge the best wrestler in the country who had tech'd you in no time flat the year before is highly, highly unusual -- fictional, almost.  It's got to be expected that a personality of such extreme intensity will carry with it the potential to do some extreme undesirable things as well.

If anyone could understand walking that tightrope, it would be those twins guys (both of them -- the more coldly ruthless head coach and the more emotional lightweight coach) he is wrestling for now -- and it's to his credit that he sought out that place to challenge him to be better not just at wrestling but as a person.  So far his development under them has been a net significant positive and continues to improve.  

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

How would anyone on this thread feel if DeSanto accomplished his goal of destroying Micic's shoulder?

I thought it was a terrible look.

But how many people on this board hate Mark Schultz? or Dave Schultz?

He's a punk and an idiot. Great wrestler though. Admire his energy, tenacity on the mat, and he's very fun to watch. I'm a fan of his wrestling. Off the mat I strongly suspect he's dumber than the average college student. 

Edited by TobusRex

20 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

He's a punk and an idiot. Great wrestler though. Admire his energy, tenacity on the mat, and he's very fun to watch. I'm a fan of his wrestling. Off the mat I strongly suspect he's dumber than the average college student. 

Doubt Drexel recruits many dummies.