spladle08

141 is suprisingly tough, even w/o Yainni/Eierman

So I'm not big on the college boards, but I am bored and wanted to make a post :) so sorry if this has been discussed.

Preseason: My stance was "Eiermen should jump at this opportunity to win a Yainni-less 141 Title. The weight is shallow and somebody is going to be gifted a Gold (Likely Demas) why wouldn't Eiermen get it himself, lord knows he has no shot at the Olympic team"

Current Outlook: Man I haven't been a Pletcher fan ever in my life but how friggin good is he? When did he decide to start scoring points?

Nick Lee is snatching souls.

Real Woods domination.

Chad Red's bendy self all the way back at 8,  this weight is nails....  I would favor current Lee or Pletcher over Eiermen and they'd both give the Johnny D a run,  I think current Pletcher is better than Mckenna in that hypothetical. (Rambling i know)

141 and 133 were the only 2 weights we anticipated seeing real "depletion" due to the Olympic year.

At 133 I feel like we kind of knew Gross/Desanto would be the cream of the crop with Fix and Suriano sitting out.

At 141 I think we all knew Nick Lee would be near the top, possibly chasing Demas, we weren't sure how Pletcher would adjust to the weight, Real Woods somehow becomes this powerhouse, so on and so forth,

Not sure if much can be said in response. I just like the weight more than I thought I would.

There are definitely tougher weights (165), and some with more parity (149) and all that.

I was just pleasantly surprised this didn't turn out to be a 2 man race and there is some real legit competition and unknowns for that GOLD> :)

Edited by spladle08

Pletcher and Lee are the special talents at the weight with Woods arguably the lone challenger to either one.  An "on" Dom Demas has a sluggers chance.  After that, there's a bunch of solid guys like Red, McKee, Murin, Parker and Moran, etc....but no one really close to the top two.  

You make a great point.  Like you, I was on the fence about 141 as a whole.  Pletcher and Lee are disposing of everyone.  Big 10's is going to be a good one.  I am Iowa born and raised, but I don't think there's any way Murin could even keep it respectable against either of them.  I honestly think he gets majored by either.  That's saying a lot too, because Murin is solid.  I just think Lee and Pletcher have evolved a lot this year and are on another level.  

Not disagreeing with anything in this thread other than the hype on Real Woods. I believe he is really good, but he isn't exactly blowing most people out of the water, especially being in a relatively weaker conference. A lot of his wins are close, but controlled, wins. Does anyone else think he is liable to be knocked off early? He's young, so he could make a jump or just simply be too solid to get really challenged by anyone outside the top 3-4.

Not disagreeing with anything in this thread other than the hype on Real Woods. I believe he is really good, but he isn't exactly blowing most people out of the water, especially being in a relatively weaker conference. A lot of his wins are close, but controlled, wins. Does anyone else think he is liable to be knocked off early? He's young, so he could make a jump or just simply be too solid to get really challenged by anyone outside the top 3-4.

So 100% he could get bounced early, hes not head and shoulders over that next tier, and to your "close match" reference he had some tough guys to start the season then wrestled Pletcher close which had to be a confidence builder (at the time I was still on the "who doesnt wrestle Pletcher close" wagon, so I dismissed the result)... then another close match with the always tough Sherman. But then the scuffle happened and he was clearly better than Hone/Gfeller (I'm a big Gfeller fan) and now he is going to end the year by crushing cans (which he does quite well).. so we wont have any great markers to reflect his progress.

Understandably his redshirt freshman year he didnt wrestle hardly anyone so its tough to draw from those wins but across his 35-2 record over the last 2 seasons his losses are

3-1 SV to Pletcher

6-3 to Nick Lee

So while he isnt a lock (for anything), we either get a fully confident untested world beater come NCAAs, or we get a guy who's been crushing cans the last month or 2 so he's not 100% ready to face the "real" competition.

Both scenarios are plausible, but I bet he ends up 5th :)

*Nice name btw

13 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

I guess it depends on your definition of “close” wins. At the scuffle he beat Hone 6-2 and beat Gfeller 6-1. He also majored Even Cheek at the scuffle. His one loss is an OT loss to Pletcher. 

I’m not saying he should be favored over Lee or Pletcher, but the hype is justified after going 35-2 so far in his college career. I’d personally take him over anyone other than Lee and Pletcher...but I concede his competition this year doesn’t leave me with a great deal of confidence.

It’ll be real interesting to see where Woods gets seeded at NCAA’s because he doesn’t have anyone left on his schedule that should even challenge him. He should be something like 31-1 going into the tourney. If how the committee seeded Mizzou guys in recent years (who had stellar records but weak completion), I think there’s a decent chance we see him at the 3 seed. As long as he gets the 3 or 4 seed I’d have him in the semi’s in a close match with either Lee or Pletcher. Anything can happen at that point...

Coming from a tOSU fan:

1. Its amazing that Pletcher has finally learned to score points
  2. I still think Mitch mckee has a punchers chance to make some noise come March. he has the potential to pin anybody

I agree with the OP.

149 seems like it more “misses” the guys on ORS, but I guess it’s really just Kolodzik who’s a legit contender.    He was one I thought might come back...to give him a shot at a title and also give Princeton a shot at a trophy.   Although I guess from the team side I think they do have a lot of their team coming back next year.

15 minutes ago, MDogg said:

I guess it depends on your definition of “close” wins. At the scuffle he beat Hone 6-2 and beat Gfeller 6-1. He also majored Even Cheek at the scuffle. His one loss is an OT loss to Pletcher. 

I’m not saying he should be favored over Lee or Pletcher, but the hype is justified after going 35-2 so far in his college career. I’d personally take him over anyone other than Lee and Pletcher...but I concede his competition this year doesn’t leave me with a great deal of confidence.

It’ll be real interesting to see where Woods gets seeded at NCAA’s because he doesn’t have anyone left on his schedule that should even challenge him. He should be something like 31-1 going into the tourney. If how the committee seeded Mizzou guys in recent years (who had stellar records but weak completion), I think there’s a decent chance we see him at the 3 seed. As long as he gets the 3 or 4 seed I’d have him in the semi’s in a close match with either Lee or Pletcher. Anything can happen at that point...

Woods could realistically get the 2.

I think we're likely to see Lee/Pletcher 2 times before NCAAs, and Woods could (probably would?) get seeded above Lee if he loses both.  If Pletcher loses both, Woods could jump him as well. If they split, whoever wins Big 10s would be 1, the other 2, and Woods 3.