nom

Taylor is our rep for Pan Am Olympic qualifier

Just saw his Instagram post saying he is returning to competition at Pam Am Olympic Qualifier.

on the one hand - great!

on the other hand - what if his injury resurfaces?  And we don’t get the qualification?  Is this a higher risk to have him do this?

12 minutes ago, nom said:

Just saw his Instagram post saying he is returning to competition at Pam Am Olympic Qualifier.

on the one hand - great!

on the other hand - what if his injury resurfaces?  And we don’t get the qualification?  Is this a higher risk to have him do this?

I wish him the best, and don't think the knee will be a problem. Really hope he can get this weight qualified for J'den.

Glad we won't have to see blue dragons or whatever his dad's new screen name is come on here and make excuses for why PDIII didn't get the weight qualified.

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I wish him the best, and don't think the knee will be a problem. Really hope he can get this weight qualified for J'den.

Glad we won't have to see blue dragons or whatever his dad's new screen name is come on here and make excuses for why PDIII didn't get the weight qualified.

And in other news, why isn't your boy J'den qualifying it for himself? Are you a proponent of allowing others to do your own dirty work?

4 hours ago, Crotalus said:

@Blue Dragons

At least tag him.

Can someone please remind me what the risk/reward equation is for DT?

If he goes to Pan Ams and places in the top 2, he qualifies gets a bye to the semifinals at OTTs? Risk, aside from getting sick or reinjured, is that he will only have a couple weeks to recover, make weight and get ready for trials, and if he hypothetically doesn’t qualify the weight at Pan Ams and is our rep will have to go again in a few weeks at the final qualifier tournament?

2 minutes ago, pamela said:

If he goes to Pan Ams and places in the top 2, he qualifies gets a bye to the semifinals at OTTs? Risk, aside from getting sick or reinjured, is that he will only have a couple weeks to recover, make weight and get ready for trials, and if he hypothetically doesn’t qualify the weight at Pan Ams and is our rep will have to go again in a few weeks at the final qualifier tournament?

Reward is he gets the rust off before trials. Kinda like dake going to Spain. He wouldn’t get a bye to semi’s though, that’s for medalists from another weight. Risk would be same as any tournament...injury. But that’s the game. 

But he would get the #1 seed right?

i believe I read that.

Interesting.  DT would have one seed.  Cox 2 seed (right?) with Cox sitting in semi finals.  Interesting bracket challenge.

51 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Who was was asking how Russia chooses their team? I just ran across this and thought about that post.

c37682a1ae184ccfa75bd0268daca645.jpg

9 minutes ago, CaliWrestler said:

So that’s means he is out? Seems they are protecting Sidakov?  I would like to see this match 

Not protecting Sidakov.  I, too, would love to see this match, but earlier this year it was announced that two-time world champions (most recent) Uguev and Sidakov, as well as four-time world champion, Sadulaev wouldn't have to participate at any National tournament to be selected.  Prior to the Yarygin Gran Prix, Tedeev had stated that Sidakov, Rashidov, Uguev and Sadulaev will all be sent to the European championships, and if they win and get gold (probably going to happen), they will be sent to the Olympics.   

They are just going by recent international success.  Sadulaev without question, Uguev and Sidakov have won the world championships two times in a row, in the deepest weight classes, and Rashidov went through a ridiculous bracket at 65kg.  

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I’m just glad they aren’t sending Downey, he would have no shot at qualifying the weight. It’s a tough turn around though for DT after qualifying to come back and make the team. 

FYI, Downey was one match away from qualifying the weight in Kazakhstan. You can't get any closer than that.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

He would get the #1 seed, not a bye to the semis.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Who was was asking how Russia chooses their team? I just ran across this and thought about that post.

c37682a1ae184ccfa75bd0268daca645.jpg

25 minutes ago, CaliWrestler said:

So that’s means he is out? Seems they are protecting Sidakov?  I would like to see this match 

13 minutes ago, Blue Dragons said:

FYI, Downey was one match away from qualifying the weight in Kazakhstan. You can't get any closer than that.

Some guy from San Marino qualified the same weight so if Downey couldn’t get it done then he probably would let team USA down again. I think he’s made his last team, I hope he enjoyed it. 

In other Pan Am news, the women’s wrestle-offs are going on rn at WCWAs.

At 57kg, Helen beat Alli Ragan by criteria 2-2 in the prelims this morning and is facing Jenna Burket in the best 2 of 3 finals.

At 53kg, Katherine Shai beat Haley Augello 10-1 and has Jacara Winchester in the 2/3 finals.

At 50kg there was no preliminary match, so it’s Whitney Conder vs. Sarah Hildebrandt in the 2/3 finals.

Not sure if the seeding system is the same as MFS for the WFS winners/weight qualifiers at Pan Ams.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Helen pins Burkett, think that was the first match. 

Two pins, Maroulis is going to Pan Ams... I had to run out and haven't seen the matches but it looks like our reps for the Pan Am Qualifier are:

50kg - Hildebradt over Conder 2-0 (2-0, pin)

53 - Winchester over Shai 2-0 (5-0, 2-0)

57 - Helen over Burkert 2-0 (pin, pin)

On 1/28/2020 at 5:32 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Some guy from San Marino qualified the same weight so if Downey couldn’t get it done then he probably would let team USA down again. I think he’s made his last team, I hope he enjoyed it. 

I really don't understand the constant Downey bashing. Maybe his personality bothers some people, but the bottom line is that he made the US team fair and square and completely within the rules. He wrestled hard and came within a match of qualifying the weight.

Of the six Olympic weighs only two of our six team members qualified their weights. Burroughs and Snyder.

Downey, Gwiz, Retherford, and Fix did not. But Downey alone seems to consistently get singled out  for letting down the US team. I think he deserves a little credit for working hard, making the US team, and putting on possibly the 3rd best performance of our six Olympic weights at the 2019 worlds. 

Would I rather see Taylor, Cox, Nickal, Deiringer, or Valencia at this weight. Absolutely! But that doesn't mean I need to rip on the guy who represented us last year.

44 minutes ago, pamela said:

Two pins, Maroulis is going to Pan Ams... I had to run out and haven't seen the matches but it looks like our reps for the Pan Am Qualifier are:

50kg - Hildebradt over Conder 2-0 (2-0, pin)

53 - Winchester over Shai 2-0 (5-0, 2-0)

57 - Helen over Burkert 2-0 (pin, pin)

Yep, the winners were all a step ahead of the competition from the matches I saw.  Winchester and Shai got a little chippy at the end, these three are all studs and should do well at Pan Ams.  Sucks to see Helen and Ali at the same weight, but like the men's you are going to have multiple world medalists staying home this cycle. 

Edited by Gantry

If so many are worried Taylor will get hurt - maybe he should retire, get a walker and wear padding when he goes up and down steps?

It is wrestling. He is apparently cleared to wrestle. Hope he does well and qualifies the weight. If he gets hurt - he won't be the first nor the last. It happens. We'll live with it.

As for Downey - he was the guy we sent. He won his position and took over when the #1 guy could not make it. All within the rules. He deserves credit for doing his best no matter what - in spite of his daddy.

13 hours ago, 77again said:

I really don't understand the constant Downey bashing. Maybe his personality bothers some people, but the bottom line is that he made the US team fair and square and completely within the rules. He wrestled hard and came within a match of qualifying the weight.

Of the six Olympic weighs only two of our six team members qualified their weights. Burroughs and Snyder.

Downey, Gwiz, Retherford, and Fix did not. But Downey alone seems to consistently get singled out  for letting down the US team. I think he deserves a little credit for working hard, making the US team, and putting on possibly the 3rd best performance of our six Olympic weights at the 2019 worlds. 

Would I rather see Taylor, Cox, Nickal, Deiringer, or Valencia at this weight. Absolutely! But that doesn't mean I need to rip on the guy who represented us last year.

As far as I’m concerned he’s brought all of the imo deserved criticism on himself. I don't think the guy will ever smell another team, domestically 86 was weak last year as everyone was staying away from Taylor. 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

domestically 86 was weak last year

Downey is elite.  He has beaten US national champs, Olympians, and World medalists.  If he does not make another team, it is because he blocked by the world's best.  If he sticks with wrestling for four more years, he will get even better.  Please say more about what you consider strong versus weak.