nom

Taylor is our rep for Pan Am Olympic qualifier

Ogal,

I agree that it was not the strongest weight class last year, but I don't think that was Downey's fault. I would attribute that to a combination of Taylor waiting until the last minute to announce he was out, and our restrictive rules on other guys not being able to move up or down.

How has he brought all this criticism on himself, which seems to stem from him making the 2019 team? Help me understand.

I can't help but believe that if he had won a gold last summer, the conversation would be completely different. 

11 hours ago, lost said:

All of the negative opinions you see people express stem from his off the mat behavior and that of his dad.

At what point does PDIII's past become the past?  I see the same reactions from folks regarding DeSanto.  Nor should people hold PDIII's Fathers actions and words against him.  

If folks just don't like him, fair enough...

19 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

At what point does PDIII's past become the past?  I see the same reactions from folks regarding DeSanto.  Nor should people hold PDIII's Fathers actions and words against him.  

If folks just don't like him, fair enough...

never... "fans" are not evolved enough to accept new information or at the very least remove emotions from the equation...

DOWNEY BAD!!!!!!

DOWNEY ALWAYS BAD!!!!!

Well I am learned enough to know that Ringer or Zahid going 86 doesn't guarantee them the spot last year. Ringer fought for his 3-2 win and he demolished Zahid last year at WTT.

Had they offered Ringer a special wrestleoff without allowing him the time he's had already to fill out to 86 a bit, Downey may have horses himself that match.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, 77again said:

Ogal,

I agree that it was not the strongest weight class last year, but I don't think that was Downey's fault. I would attribute that to a combination of Taylor waiting until the last minute to announce he was out, and our restrictive rules on other guys not being able to move up or down.

How has he brought all this criticism on himself, which seems to stem from him making the 2019 team? Help me understand.

I can't help but believe that if he had won a gold last summer, the conversation would be completely different. 

I agree it wasn’t his fault that the weight class was weak, it was more of a testament to how good Taylor is imo. I just don’t really like the guy and will root for pretty much every other American before I would root for him. I’m glad the guy seems to have figured out how to be a positive member of society but being a douche for all those years doesn’t give him a pass.  As for the trials I don’t think he will even smell the national team let alone being the guy. 

Fair enough. I can respect that opinion. I know very little about Downey's personal life. I just felt that a number of post I was reading from multiple people were expressing anger about his results at worlds (in which he almost qualified the weight).

Regarding his personal issues, I would just request that everyone realize that all of these guys are really young and often make poor choices. I know I certainly made my share of mistakes but had the luxury of no social media/internet back then.

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I agree it wasn’t his fault that the weight class was weak, it was more of a testament to how good Taylor is imo. I just don’t really like the guy and will root for pretty much every other American before I would root for him. I’m glad the guy seems to have figured out how to be a positive member of society but being a douche for all those years doesn’t give him a pass.  As for the trials I don’t think he will even smell the national team let alone being the guy. 

I’d be surprised if he finished top 5

On 2/9/2020 at 10:25 AM, jross said:

Downey is elite.  He has beaten US national champs, Olympians, and World medalists.  If he does not make another team, it is because he blocked by the world's best.  If he sticks with wrestling for four more years, he will get even better.  Please say more about what you consider strong versus weak. 

Agreed. Downey has just gotten his first real chance on the world circuit. Like every level before, he will rise within it and eventually conquer it. Never if, always when...despite his daddy.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, 77again said:

Fair enough. I can respect that opinion. I know very little about Downey's personal life. I just felt that a number of post I was reading from multiple people were expressing anger about his results at worlds (in which he almost qualified the weight).

Regarding his personal issues, I would just request that everyone realize that all of these guys are really young and often make poor choices. I know I certainly made my share of mistakes but had the luxury of no social media/internet back then.

Exactly, one match away from qualifying the weight.  All these sofa keyboard world champs need to get a life. 

18 minutes ago, jross said:

Your post speaks more about your character than Downey's.  He had some bad looks in the media and it looks like he's been doing well for awhile now.  So much of a person's success in life and on the mat relates to confidence.  @HeadGames.  Recognize and build people up when they are trekking forward.  Keep life good.  

Watch his interview on flow he talks about everything, all his bad looks in the media were self driven 

Just now, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Watch his interview on flow he talks about everything, all his bad looks in the media were self driven 

I agree from a year ago.  Anything recent?

On 2/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Agree with this one. Solid take. 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Do you need him to screw up more?

He makes mistakes, just like we all do.  I am a fan of his ability to admit his and his focus on moving forward.  I don't know his story and I know some are better at hiding their struggles than others.