Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Clarion History

simpson-trio.jpg

The top five wrestlers in Golden Eagles history won a total of fourteen NCAA medals and six titles and include a two-time NCAA champion, two NCAA champions and three-time medalists, a three-time medalist, and a two-time NCAA champion, three-time finalist, and professional wrestler in the WWE! Check out the best Clarion wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Medals

#1 - Kurt Angle - 44 - 1,2,1
#2 - Sheldon Thomas - 33 - 5,1,3
#3 - Don Rohn - 32 - 1,3,6
#3 - Wade Schalles - 32 - 1,1
#5 - Charlie Heller - 31 - 4,2,3

There have been 27 All-American wrestlers who have won 46 medals in Clarion history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Clarion

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Anyone know if Don Rohn is still head coach at Northampton HS in Eastern PA?  
Those guys were hammers in the early 90’s along with other District 11 powers Nazareth and Easton.  Some studs came out of those programs along the way including Jordan Oliver (Easton), JaMarr Billman (Easton, PSU), Bryan Snyder (Easton), Rob Rohn (Nazareth), Whitey Chlebove (Northampton), Chad Billy (Northampton)...to name a few. 

One year within a couple years of these guys, Pennsylvania had 6 teams ranked in the top 10.  Just taking a guess since I'm an Oklahoma boy, but Penn, Penn St. Clarion, Slippery Rock,  Lehigh and maybe Edinboro or East Stroudsburgh.  

3 hours ago, ludwigdmd said:

Anyone know if Don Rohn is still head coach at Northampton HS in Eastern PA?  
Those guys were hammers in the early 90’s along with other District 11 powers Nazareth and Easton.  Some studs came out of those programs along the way including Jordan Oliver (Easton), JaMarr Billman (Easton, PSU), Bryan Snyder (Easton), Rob Rohn (Nazareth), Whitey Chlebove (Northampton), Chad Billy (Northampton)...to name a few. 

Not since 2000 (He had a y2k problem!). For several years he was assistant to Terry Daubert. He's been helping at Saucon Valley for a while lately. He even has a road named for him near the HS.

Edited by gimpeltf
more info

8 hours ago, Peso said:

One year within a couple years of these guys, Pennsylvania had 6 teams ranked in the top 10.  Just taking a guess since I'm an Oklahoma boy, but Penn, Penn St. Clarion, Slippery Rock,  Lehigh and maybe Edinboro or East Stroudsburgh.  

strike Slippery Rock or East Stroudsbugh and insert "PITT". 

so Don came to Northampton home of the Konkrete Kids after leaving Hazelton and has some famous moves known all over the country. The cement job came from Don at Northampton. also the rolling version of this move, which Don named the Konkrete special as well as flying cement. 

so every time a Northampton guy hears someone call the rolling cement a "mixer" you know he's not from Northampton.

17 hours ago, southend said:

Wow, this was when there was parody in college wrestling. The days we long for. Speaking from an baby boomer.

Everything Rokfin does seems to be a parody

On 1/28/2020 at 11:12 PM, Peso said:

I guess I don't remember back to the 70's but Pa in the 80's was PSU, Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, Pitt and Clarion.  Slippery Rock was fading but those others had to be top 15.

Thanks, my memory wasn't good enough to recall which schools, I just remember looking at that and thinking how can anyone doubt which state is the toughest high school state?  Kind of wondered what would happen if a coach came in that could bring in the best talent from the keystone state and a smattering of cherry picked recruits from anywheresville...I guess we found the answer.  I grew up and wrestled in Oklahoma as I mentioned, but just the sheer numbers of great programs in Pennsylvania has been impressive for half a century.  Some of the guys they don't recruit tells you how elite their mind set is.

4 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

I guess I don't remember back to the 70's but Pa in the 80's was PSU, Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, Pitt and Clarion.  Slippery Rock was fading but those others had to be top 15.

1974 thru 1987 Lehigh was in the top ten of NCAA tourney every year except 1984

On 1/28/2020 at 2:58 PM, jerseywrestling said:

simpson-trio.jpg

The top five wrestlers in Golden Eagles history won a total of fourteen NCAA medals and six titles and include a two-time NCAA champion, two NCAA champions and three-time medalists, a three-time medalist, and a two-time NCAA champion, three-time finalist, and professional wrestler in the WWE! Check out the best Clarion wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Medals

#1 - Kurt Angle - 44 - 1,2,1
#2 - Sheldon Thomas - 33 - 5,1,3
#3 - Don Rohn - 32 - 1,3,6
#3 - Wade Schalles - 32 - 1,1
#5 - Charlie Heller - 31 - 4,2,3

There have been 27 All-American wrestlers who have won 46 medals in Clarion history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Clarion

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Any Clarion list that doesn’t list Wade Schalles at # 1, is dubious at best.  Basic research is your friend.  

Schalles won 2 D2 titles and 2 D1 and was outstanding wrestler in both.  He would have won a 3rd his senior year, if he wasn’t deemed ineligible.  He couldn’t compete as a Freshman.  He pinned 109 guys in college, including several national champs.  That was unheard back then.  He was Ben Askren 30 years early.  They named an award after him.  

Just now, tightwaist said:

Any Clarion list that doesn’t list Wade Schalles at # 1, is dubious at best.  Basic research is your friend.  

Schalles won 2 D2 titles and 2 D1 and was outstanding wrestler in both.  He would have won a 3rd his senior year, if he wasn’t deemed ineligible.  He couldn’t compete as a Freshman.  He pinned 109 guys in college, including several national champs.  That was unheard back then.  He was Ben Askren 30 years early.  They named an award after him.  

It seems this has to be told on every one of these. This is strictly by points. In this case- place points for D1 NCAAs and that's it. You are making a subjective choice which is fine if you want to set up your own lists. This guy has his objective method. Take it for what it does.