Sign in to follow this  
silvermedal

Ohio State v Nebraska

Not quite as high profile as Iowa v PSU but just as compelling.  

125: Heinselman v Thomsen  (slight edge Neb)

133:  Decatur v Lovett   (slight edge Neb)

141: Pletcher v Red  (edge tOSU)

149: Sasso v Purinton (edge tOSU)

157: Cleary v Robb (slight edge Neb)

165: Smith v White (edge Neb)

174: Romero v Labriola (edge Neb)

184: RJordan v Venz (edge Neb)

197: Moore v Schultz (edge tOSU)

Hvy: GTG v Lance (toss up)

Bucks three studs should win (although Red and Schultz will have plenty of motivation after losses in Vegas)  but after that every matchup except Hvy leans towards Lincoln.  There should be a lot of good battles but given the travel involved, I think Nebraska has an advantage.  

Aside:  Could Ohio State and Nebraska combined defeat Iowa?

12 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Not quite as high profile as Iowa v PSU but just as compelling.  

125: Heinselman v Thomsen  (slight edge Neb)

133:  Decatur v Lovett   (slight edge Neb)

141: Pletcher v Red  (edge tOSU)

149: Sasso v Purinton (edge tOSU)

157: Cleary v Robb (slight edge Neb)

165: Smith v White (edge Neb)

174: Romero v Labriola (edge Neb)

184: RJordan v Venz (edge Neb)

197: Moore v Schultz (edge tOSU)

Hvy: GTG v Lance (toss up)

Bucks three studs should win (although Red and Schultz will have plenty of motivation after losses in Vegas)  but after that every matchup except Hvy leans towards Lincoln.  There should be a lot of good battles but given the travel involved, I think Nebraska has an advantage.  

I think Iowa would win a close one, maybe 18-16.

3 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Combining rosters improves their chances, but not substantially. Nebraska won 141 and 197 against Iowa--two of the weights Ohio State already wins.  Venz has a good chance to reverse his result vs. Assad, and you'll take Robb/White/Labriola over Cleary/Smith/Romero, but it's still a long shot because of Lee's guaranteed 5+ points.  

Path to victory for the BuckHuskers (or CornEyes?) is bonus out of Pletcher and Moore, Sasso wins, and 2 of Robb/White/Labriola/Venz turn around their previous results.  

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think Ohio state and Nebraska would win but I do think Minnesota and Nebraska combined would beat Iowa 

How do they win more than 4 matches?  Nebraska only won at 141 and 197.   Minnesota likely only wins at 141 again, maybe 149 and 285.

I think Ohio State and NC State could take 5 matches, but couldn’t overcome the bonus from Lee and DeSanto.

I think the closest would actually be Ohio State and Northwestern, but that would depend on Rivera beating DeSanto, then they’d still need another 2 points somewhere.  Best chances I guess would be a major from Deakin and DeAugustino only getting majored, but probably doubtful both of those things (plus Rivera winning) happen.

(Iowa beat tOSU 25-10 without the team point deduction.   If Deakin beats Young, 22-13.  If Rivera beats DeSanto, 17-16)

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

How do they win more than 4 matches?  Nebraska only won at 141 and 197.   Minnesota likely only wins at 141 again, maybe 149 and 285.

I think Ohio State and NC State could take 5 matches, but couldn’t overcome the bonus from Lee and DeSanto.

I think the closest would actually be Ohio State and Northwestern, but that would depend on Rivera beating DeSanto, then they’d still need another 2 points somewhere.  Best chances I guess would be a major from Deakin and DeAugustino only getting majored, but probably doubtful both of those things (plus Rivera winning) happen.

(Iowa beat tOSU 25-10 without the team point deduction.   If Deakin beats Young, 22-13.  If Rivera beats DeSanto, 17-16)

Nebraska and Minnesota vs iowa

lee gets 6 - 6-0

desanto dec Lovett-9-0

mckee dec murin - 9-3

lee dec lugo- 9-6

young dec Robb 12-6 this was a pretty close match

marnelli dec white - 15-6 another close match 

kemerer dec labriola- 18-6 this was a one takedown match late 

Venz dec Assad- 18-9 I would take Venz over Assad anywhere other then carver

schultz dec Warner 18-12 

gable pins cass 18-18  comes down to match points 

38 minutes ago, Molsen said:

He was definitely trying his hardest to find a way for iowa to lose that hypothetical. Pretty trolly for someone named antitroll.

Gable is more then likely going to be our Olympic Rep this year I don’t think it’s that crazy that if he needed a pin he could find a way to pin a freshman 

2 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Back to the Huskers v the Bucks....

Any analysis on that one?

125 Thomsen dec 3-0 Neb

133 Decatur dec 3-3 (tossup IMO)

141 Pletcher dec 6-3 tOSU (could be bonus)

149 Sasso dec 9-3

157 Robb dec 9-6

165 White dec 9-9

174 Labriola dec 12-9 Neb (wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see 165 or 174 go to tOSU though

184 Venz dec 15-9

197 Moore major 15-13

285 Gas tank comes though again for the win 16-15

Definitely intriguing.  Lot of matches that could go either way IMO.

57 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think anyone has seen gable wrestle needing a pin, if he was motivated enough gable could probably pin a lot of the guys he wrestles 

I guess he was not motivated to pin gas tank gary to win the dual the other night.

125- I like osu here, not impressed with Thomsen.

133- Lovett has looked a lot better to me.

141- Pletcher

149- Sasso

157- Robb but Cleary could win.

165- White

174- Labs

184- Venz

197- Moore

285- Toss

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think anyone has seen gable wrestle needing a pin, if he was motivated enough gable could probably pin a lot of the guys he wrestles 

Come on man, it's just not his specialty.  It's not impossible that he would pin Cass, but saying you think he will do it because we've never seen him "need" a pin before is ridiculous.  

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Snyder was pretty good but didnt really pin. Also Steveson has bounced someones head off the mat a few times out of frustration because they wouldn't let him turn him. Steveson just hasn't developed that skillset. Hes still elite. And Cass is a pretty damn good freshmen. Could Steveson get the pin? Sure, but he hasnt done anything to show that he should be predicted to pin anyone in the top 10. Also freestyle is different then folkstyle, not that he pins people there also.

Edited by Molsen

1 minute ago, Kov88 said:

I wonder if tOSU will throw Kinner out there again at 157..... I feel like Kinner has more offense and Cleary wrestles more defensive matches and keeps it close.

It's "fools gold" to look at the result of a performance against Maryland and try to project what that means against anyone else (this season anyway).  Cleary is bigger and stronger and has given solid performances in his last several duals.  Personally, I think Cleary is the better option as it's hard to imagine Kinner is ready for this big a jump in weight against any solid Big Ten comp.  In fact he might have gotten pinned vs Maryland if not for an officiating snafu.  Just my thoughts....I could be off base.

This meet is going to come down to who wins tossups at 125, 133 and HWT.  Whomever gets best 2 of those 3 weights wins the dual, IMHO.  There is also the chance for a big cradle from a guy like Sasso to give a big swing.  I am a Nebraska fan and I think OSU wins the dual by a point or two similar to what happened vs. PSU last weekend.

21 minutes ago, Konquest said:

This meet is going to come down to who wins tossups at 125, 133 and HWT.  Whomever gets best 2 of those 3 weights wins the dual, IMHO.  There is also the chance for a big cradle from a guy like Sasso to give a big swing.  I am a Nebraska fan and I think OSU wins the dual by a point or two similar to what happened vs. PSU last weekend.

Agree except I think Nebraska will win.