1 hour ago, Asa Packer said:

Gimp: forgot about Matt Ruppel? shame on you! 

Matt Ruppel

Bio: One of Lehigh's all-time greats, Matt placed 3rd, 2nd and 1st in the EIWA which featured a rivalry with future NCAA champ Mark Kerr, Syracuse.

In his junior year, he fashioned a perfect season: 13-0-1 in duals, East-West All-Star win, EIWA title and an NCAA finals win, 6-5, over Iowa's Brook Simpson. During the stretch run to his 38-0-1 season (LU's only unbeaten season since 1983), he earned a perfect 4.0 GPA in the school of business.

A congenital back problem forced an unfortunate early end to his wrestling career, after just 3 bouts his senior year.

I didn't forget him. He didn't walk away as per the original question. He was injured as you quoted. He even wrestled 3 bouts that last year.

4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Been hearing for awhile that suriano wont be returning to Rutgers and that his college wrestling career is done, over on the Rutgers forum they have been talking about this a lot lately so it seems pretty legit.

My question is has any other ncaa champ just decided to not finish college, I know plenty of guys who were champs and were injured there senior year but has an ncaa champ ever walked away with eligibility left?

Kevin Randleman (Ohio State University)....3 time finalist, 2 time NCAA Champion didn't compete his senior year (academics)..  RIP Kevin

3 hours ago, Asa Packer said:

Matt Ruppel

The question was about someone who voluntarily chose to walk away, not someone who was forced out by medical or academic issues.  Greg Surenian was the name I thought of; I remember the rumors that he was about to return lasted my entire freshman year.

5 hours ago, PASLP2 said:

I think you would be surprised what mma fighters make early in their career.  Spoiler alert:  less than they deserve.  

Nothing is worth the pounding they take. You see what Johny Hendricks big pay off was in MMA? A ridiculously oversized monster truck that I guarantee he can't afford to drive anymore.  I hope he made out a lot better than I think he did, but he was a pretty successful fighter at one time and I don't think he ever got close to rich.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Nothing is worth the pounding they take. You see what Johny Hendricks big pay off was in MMA? A ridiculously oversized monster truck that I guarantee he can't afford to drive anymore.  I hope he made out a lot better than I think he did, but he was a pretty successful fighter at one time and I don't think he ever got close to rich.

He made around $2m in disclosed purse money, and main event fighters in UFC make more than disclosed purse, plus his ongoing endorsements (He’s a Reebok ambassador for example). He’s doing okay for himself. 

Edited by Lurker

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Closest I can do off the top of my head for Lehigh is someone with a similar spelling.

Surenian- took 3rd as a sophomore (might currently have been considered a rs fr) and walked away.

My Favorite wrestler, Randolph NJ

Edited by Columbia_Lou

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

In this thread full of rumor and guessing, why are we so certain that if he doesn’t wrestle next year he doesn’t finish his degree?  

Be surprised if he didn't get a degree..he's very close(1 or 2 sems away at most) to 1 already

20 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Just when I thought you were as ignorant as is humanly possible - you prove me wrong.  Every single sentence you monkey-typed is provably false.  How did you become so abjectly stupid? 

I would respond to each of your fallacies, but clearly you get paid in TrollCoin so what is the point.   I'll just add your insipid commentary to the block bin. 

You're kidding' right? C'mon man. In my opinion, Jimmy is one of the most thought-provoking participants in this forum and I like what he has to say. The guy is always thinking out of the box and always thinking about wrestling. Keep up the good work Mr. Cinnabon!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Why do folks think Suriano will be such a threat in MMA?  Sure... He can wrestle.  Is it his striking?  Pico was a golden gloves boxer and he's had 3 pretty lopsided losses.  Does Nick grapple?  Any belts or accolades there?  BJJ neutralizes a lot of stuff that you get thrown at in MMA.  Wrestlers that know BJJ well and add striking tend to win championships.  Thoughts on Nick's other skills?

5 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Why do folks think Suriano will be such a threat in MMA?  Sure... He can wrestle.  Is it his striking?  Pico was a golden gloves boxer and he's had 3 pretty lopsided losses.  Does Nick grapple?  Any belts or accolades there?  BJJ neutralizes a lot of stuff that you get thrown at in MMA.  Wrestlers that know BJJ well and add striking tend to win championships.  Thoughts on Nick's other skills?

I believe Nick Suriano has an opportunity to be the next T.J. Dillashaw. He has that "bad boy" attitude, he's tough and he has stamina. I bet he's just waiting to throw some hands!

No college team or coach could ever deal with an athlete like Suriano. Maybe if there had ever been another athlete to suffer an injury or any adversity at all in their life they could understand what he’s been through.

Maybe there is somebody else in the world who has suffered who may be able to relate and get the best out of him.

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Thing is  you don't HAVE to be a great striker to win matches. Ben Askren, for example. Until he caught a knee to the face he was unbeatable in MMA, and he punched with all the power of an arthritic 89 year old granny. Wrestlers usually get a takedown and grind their opponents in MMA with lameass, short range punches, and usually win on chokes or (yawn) points. It's why lots of MMA fans hate watching former wrestlers. It certainly helps to know how to punch, no doubt about it, but it's not really 100% necessary. 

12 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

He wasn't at the RAC when they put his banner up.  I think he was away, but they have other home events so I figure he didn't want to be there because he's not returning.  

Too bad.  

He was / is in Italy training Freestyle.   

I have no insight to share on if he is coming back nor does anyone on this thread.  If he chooses not to then he's making his best choice,  It's not like the kid half-asses anything.  Wrestling or not it's generally best to finish the degree.  Always good to have in your pocket.   

16 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

He is bigger than the sport of college wrestling, or so his actions might make it appear. 

WTF?  What specific action(s) are those?  Taking an Oly RS?  Leaving your vaunted PSU team behind (Clearly that worked out well for him)? 

I know you feel you are an enlightened contributor, so please elaborate on those actions you find so oppugnant, 

Does anyone have any concrete information about this topic?  Is Suriano leaving?  If so do we know why?  The most credibly source so far has said "They are talking about it on the Rutgers Message board" but hasn't given any specifics about what is actually being said.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Does anyone have any concrete information about this topic?  Is Suriano leaving?  If so do we know why?  The most credibly source so far has said "They are talking about it on the Rutgers Message board" but hasn't given any specifics about what is actually being said.

Mr. suriano and nick had a problem with Humphrey bringing in Nato to train at the njrtc and mr suriano let everyone know about his issue with it and burned some bridges in the process