Sign in to follow this  
MedicineMan

Slow, timid start, strong finish = tech fall. Spencer Lee

I hate to even admire this guy publicly when my pal, VakAttack, has such an idolizing, man crush on DeSanto this year, it's like he is dissing his avatar...I don't want to make Vak mad, but..

photo-thumb-20201.jpg

... But Spencer Lee is the man, and has the pace of his matches figured out to a tee.  He shakes hands and basically lulls his opponents into thinking they might have a chance, he moves slow and almost timidly, he fends off a few weak attacks...(well they are weak to Spencer, but are about the best his opponents can muster). Then he counters one attack for a takedown and makes it almost look like his opponent slipped. His opponent feels like it was his mistake (which it was) and it won't happen again (it will).  He still thinks he has a shot to win.

Spencer gets them to relax and quit trying so hard, it  reminds me of how a python waits until it's prey lets out a breath and then tightens the coils.
tumblr_inline_pmsolx0nUW1vrmt9r_1280.jpg

That's about when Spencer Lee shifts gears.  I like the analogy of the  1970 Plymouth Duster,  that I had in high school,  with the high compression 340 engine...

1970_plymouth_duster_a-e1551201648238-63

...when I raced that 351 Mach 1 Mustang with the spoiler, hood scoop, mag rims with big fat tires behind. (great looking, like a Penn State singlet)

used-1970-ford-mustang-mach1-8031-194756

In a quarter mile race, the Mach 1 would jump to the lead, speed shift to 2nd with a chirp of burning rubber, then hit 3rd gear before I was out of 1st gear....I'd red line that 3-speed Duster at around 55 mph in first, the hit 2nd and blow by the Mach 1 on my way to 90mph before hitting 3rd gear (145mph).

When Spencer shifts gears, same thing, he just blows away his competition with offensive points on his way to a quick tech fall.

Lee is more dominant than Cael was at this point of his career.  Like Willie said, why isn't he PINNING people? 

Lee must be ridiculously strong to pull off some of the stuff I see him doing in matches. Terrific scrambler. Hammer on top. Good (not great) at taking people down. I'm a huge fan. But would like him even more if he was a pinner. 

Edited by TobusRex

7 hours ago, MedicineMan said:

I hate to even admire this guy publicly when my pal, VakAttack, has such an idolizing, man crush on DeSanto this year, it's like he is dissing his avatar...I don't want to make Vak mad, but..

photo-thumb-20201.jpg

... But Spencer Lee is the man, and has the pace of his matches figured out to a tee.  He shakes hands and basically lulls his opponents into thinking they might have a chance, he moves slow and almost timidly, he fends off a few weak attacks...(well they are weak to Spencer, but are about the best his opponents can muster). Then he counters one attack for a takedown and makes it almost look like his opponent slipped. His opponent feels like it was his mistake (which it was) and it won't happen again (it will).  He still thinks he has a shot to win.

Spencer gets them to relax and quit trying so hard, it  reminds me of how a python waits until it's prey lets out a breath and then tightens the coils.
tumblr_inline_pmsolx0nUW1vrmt9r_1280.jpg

That's about when Spencer Lee shifts gears.  I like the analogy of the  1970 Plymouth Duster,  that I had in high school,  with the high compression 340 engine...

1970_plymouth_duster_a-e1551201648238-63

...when I raced that 351 Mach 1 Mustang with the spoiler, hood scoop, mag rims with big fat tires behind. (great looking, like a Penn State singlet)

used-1970-ford-mustang-mach1-8031-194756

In a quarter mile race, the Mach 1 would jump to the lead, speed shift to 2nd with a chirp of burning rubber, then hit 3rd gear before I was out of 1st gear....I'd red line that 3-speed Duster at around 55 mph in first, the hit 2nd and blow by the Mach 1 on my way to 90mph before hitting 3rd gear (145mph).

When Spencer shifts gears, same thing, he just blows away his competition with offensive points on his way to a quick tech fall.

Please. You can't even afford a used YUGO!!

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Lee is more dominant than Cael was at this point of his career.  Like Willie said, why isn't he PINNING people? 

Lee must be ridiculously strong to pull off some of the stuff I see him doing in matches. Terrific scrambler. Hammer on top. Good (not great) at taking people down. I'm a huge fan. But would like him even more if he was a pinner. 

The only way I could like Spencer more is if he transferred back home. He's just fun to watch. 

19 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

The kid isn't pinning. Until he starts doing so he is missing the point.

He pins plenty of guys...20% this year and could've had more if the refs called it...last year he pinned 31% of his opponents...38% the year before...and he'd pin a ton more if his matches didn't end by Tech so fast. 

17 hours ago, TobusRex said:

He had a 40% pin rate his freshman year, 35% his sophomore year. Sorry that teching 90% of his opponents in the first period isn't good enough for you.

Quick pins are boring anyways. In my opinion, first period tech > pin. Change my mind.

Edited by mg113

Winning by scoring a ton of points is just fine. But, if you can't PIN an opponent you should not have the match stopped early.

Would lead to more pins from guys who are way better than an opponent as well as some comebacks and pins from opponents who don't gas later in a match against an opponent who is just piling up points.

No problem with an extra team point for wins over 12 or 15  or 20 points over an opponent, but if you want 6 points for the team, you pin.

18 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I know someone who wrestled lee and they said he was strong, but not as strong as people think. He just hits his moves so perfect. 

22 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

The kid isn't pinning. Until he starts doing so he is missing the point.

If there weren't a tech fall rule, and he had the last 4 minutes of the match to try for a pin, he would probably have many more traditional falls.  Maybe not as much his first two years with the knee and then mono (or whatever the issue was) when he sometimes noticeably slowed down in later periods, but this year I think that most of his matches without a tech fall mercy rule would have ended and would end with pins. 

Edited by drag it

1 hour ago, drag it said:

If there weren't a tech fall rule, and he had the last 4 minutes of the match to try for a pin, he would probably have many more traditional falls.  Maybe not as much his first two years with the knee and then mono (or whatever the issue was) when he sometimes noticeably slowed down in later periods, but this year I think that most of his matches without a tech fall mercy rule would have ended and would end with pins. 

But we won't know because the girly-boys don't want high scorers to have to wrestle the full seven minutes. They would have died if they had to wrestle a full nine minute match as "back in the olden days"...