Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

Help With GR Analysis of a Match?

I was wondering if anyone had 10 minutes and could help me with this Greco-Roman match  I recently watched.  I don't watch a lot compared to Folk/Freestyle, so it's usually a different experience.

Aside: I like how the Germans do it sort of like a collegiate dual and wish there were more things like this. I don't love the drums, but I like the passion and audience.

Embedded below is the match and here are my comments (chronological order of the match in terms of scoring or events)/questions:

• 2 pts Blue-- looks like he pushes him out, so I anticipated 1 point, but did the ref award 2 since Red fell down?

• 1 pt awarded to Blue for Red passivity -- I have a separate thread on this, but can you tell that Red is being more passive and how?

• 2 pt exposure to Blue

• Ref admonishes Red for an illegal arm hold?  Then admonishes both for interlacing fingers?

• End 1st Period 5-0 Blue
  • Ref admonishes Blue for something like a headbutt?

• 1 pt awarded to Red for Blue passivity -- I do think Blue was more passive than Red above.

• 1 pt (???) awarded to Red – he waves off the activity, but a side judge gives the point – I am honestly not sure what is going on here in regards to points

• Initial 2 pt takedown to Red, Ref motions to his hip, so I assume he thought that hit first?  Blue and his team are steamed and throw a challenge.  I am guessing the challenge was confirmed, but I don’t know what happens here for sure. 

• The ref makes Blue go back down. Why?  It seems like anytime people go off the mat it's back to neutral.

•  He also slaps the mat a couple times in front of Blue and not sure what he is saying.

• 2 pts award to Blue for falling on top of Blue?  Very close to the earlier event.

• 2 pts awarded to Red for Blue doing something (headbutts again I think)  -- Blue is pretty steamed 

• 2 pts awarded to Red following a challenge on more headbutts.  

• Blue ends up winning and I'm pretty sure it's 7-6 ... 2 1 2 1 1 2 2 Anyway, I appreciate any additional insight!

Should start @ 37:30.

yeah this felt real messy, the Red attempt at a throw at 43:50 and then again at 45:55 being scored differently seems very wrong, and no idea why Blue started back down after the initial throw, but Blue didn't seem happy by the outcome of the challenge. Either way, the rest gets a little chippy, I'm not sure who was the better guy, I should've kept better track of the score.
@LJB Will give us a solid analysis and rules lesson. He loves some Greco

caution and 2 for fleeing the mat- you have to make an attempt to stay in... not entirely sure i agree with the call, but, that is what the ref called... i think the judge paddled it as a 1... not sure what chair called it... my guess is 1

1-0

i'm ok with the passive call... red was blocking off, getting pushed around, and not attempting any offensive wrestling moves

4-0

begin of second, blue is putting the crown of his head in red's face... can't do that... always have to keep your head up in greco... 

the passive call on blue is ok... he was dropping the head and using it to block off entirely too much and he was giving up ground... more a negative wrestling call than passivity...

4-1

the judge awards two for blue for catching red on his back... ref didn't award it... i am assuming the chair confirmed the two and the ref noticed that so when red gets back behind it becomes a reversal for 1...

6-2

blue gets called for a defensive leg foul while going out of bounds... at first watch i thought it was a 100% good call, second viewing i am not sure... regardless, that is why he gets put back down after the challenge is denied... i don't see the ref award red 1 for the failed challenge... they could have different rules for challenges...

6-4

the slapping on the mat is the ref calling for defensive wrestler to open up... you are not allowed to fight hands or keep elbows close to the body...

2 for blue from the failed throw attempt that lands red on his back...

8-4

caution and 2 for blue dropping his head and then striking red in the chin bringing it back up... good call

8-6

red whines about blue dropping his head and getting in his face with the crown again... judge was blocked off, but, i don't think he called a step out or a flee... i believe the action was stopped by the whistle when red basically stopped wrestling... again, i don't see anything awarded for the challenge...

i have end score 8-6 blue

good hard nosed greco... nothing spectacular or talent rich, but, hard entertaining wrestling...

3 hours ago, LJB said:

caution and 2 for fleeing the mat- you have to make an attempt to stay in... not entirely sure i agree with the call, but, that is what the ref called... i think the judge paddled it as a 1... not sure what chair called it... my guess is 1

1-0

i'm ok with the passive call... red was blocking off, getting pushed around, and not attempting any offensive wrestling moves

4-0

begin of second, blue is putting the crown of his head in red's face... can't do that... always have to keep your head up in greco... 

the passive call on blue is ok... he was dropping the head and using it to block off entirely too much and he was giving up ground... more a negative wrestling call than passivity...

4-1

the judge awards two for blue for catching red on his back... ref didn't award it... i am assuming the chair confirmed the two and the ref noticed that so when red gets back behind it becomes a reversal for 1...

6-2

blue gets called for a defensive leg foul while going out of bounds... at first watch i thought it was a 100% good call, second viewing i am not sure... regardless, that is why he gets put back down after the challenge is denied... i don't see the ref award red 1 for the failed challenge... they could have different rules for challenges...

6-4

the slapping on the mat is the ref calling for defensive wrestler to open up... you are not allowed to fight hands or keep elbows close to the body...

2 for blue from the failed throw attempt that lands red on his back...

8-4

caution and 2 for blue dropping his head and then striking red in the chin bringing it back up... good call

8-6

red whines about blue dropping his head and getting in his face with the crown again... judge was blocked off, but, i don't think he called a step out or a flee... i believe the action was stopped by the whistle when red basically stopped wrestling... again, i don't see anything awarded for the challenge...

i have end score 8-6 blue

good hard nosed greco... nothing spectacular or talent rich, but, hard entertaining wrestling...

Thanks for your input!  I think I started watching late in the "Ringen" season,  but I have enjoyed these events where they have both freestyle and Greco Roman on display.  I am always amazed how they can pick someone up like that.

Also thanks for some rule clarifications.   It was a fun match, but confusing and this helped me out.

4 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

Thanks for your input!  I think I started watching late in the "Ringen" season,  but I have enjoyed these events where they have both freestyle and Greco Roman on display.  I am always amazed how they can pick someone up like that.

Also thanks for some rule clarifications.   It was a fun match, but confusing and this helped me out.

anyone willing to watch the best of the styles and ask questions in the effort to learn real wrestling i will oblige...

*tip of the cap*

*low bow*

10 hours ago, LJB said:

anyone willing to watch the best of the styles and ask questions in the effort to learn real wrestling i will oblige...

*tip of the cap*

*low bow*

I usually have a lot of questions!

4 hours ago, olddirty said:

This is in the German bundesliga.  They use different rules and procedures

Not really different rules, the major difference between Bundesliga and international wrestling is 15 points different for a tech win and not 8 points in greco or 10 in freestyle