Perry

Hodge Contenders

With only a couple of months left in the season who do you all forecast as being the front runners for the Hodge? Interestingly enough, an article was posted with the most falls and none of the top guys in my mind were featured in the top 10. 

Top contenders in my mind for the award in no particular order: Zahid, Spencer Lee, Mark Hall, Marinelli or Joseph

Current leader in NCAA with pins: Ben Darmastadt with 11

3 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

I respect Marinelli but don't see why he'd be ranked ahead of Luke Pletcher or Kollin Moore.  Can someone explain?

I didn't research, but possibly more bonus point matches won?

No reason not to include Pletcher or Moore, or Nick Lee either for that matter who has bonused most of the guys he has wrestled this year. Has Spencer Lee gotten a single fall this season? He seems to tech everyone which is incredible but I know pins are supposed to be a big factor in who gets the award

The Hodge trophy is all about pins.  Dan Hodge was a pinner.  That's what excited fans and the media.  His undefeated record was an afterthought.  Most Dominant means a pinner, not near fall tilts with its newly inflated scoring.  Marinelli is a pinner and definitely ranks ahead of Lee.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Zahid is the favorite.  If he wins it's a lock for him being the senior and 3x champ.

if spencer is 100% bonus (never been done) with first period techs over numerous ranked opponents, has only a handful of matches even go the distance, is also a 3x champ, you think its a lock for zahid?

Edited by Witherman

1 minute ago, jammen said:

The Hodge trophy is all about pins.  Dan Hodge was a pinner.  That's what excited fans and the media.  His undefeated record was an afterthought.  Most Dominant means a pinner, not near fall tilts with its newly inflated scoring.  Marinelli is a pinner and definitely ranks ahead of Lee.

tenor.gif?itemid=8853475

5 minutes ago, Witherman said:

if spencer is 100% bonus (never been done) with first period techs over numerous ranked opponents, has only a handful of matches even go the distance, is also a 3x champ, you think its a lock for zahid?

If Spencer pins out to his 3rd title and Zahid wins all his matches by regular decision, maybe.  The Hodge has recently become more of a lifetime achievement award that seems to give a lot of weight to senior status.

52 minutes ago, Perry said:

No reason not to include Pletcher or Moore, or Nick Lee either for that matter who has bonused most of the guys he has wrestled this year. Has Spencer Lee gotten a single fall this season? He seems to tech everyone which is incredible but I know pins are supposed to be a big factor in who gets the award

The criteria for the award are:

1. Record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance on the mat
  4. Past credentials
  5. Quality of competition
  6. Sportsmanship/Citizenship
  7. Heart

While number of pins is a criteria I don't think the leader in pins is a lock, so it is not really just a pinners award. Certainly not if they have lost a match given that record is above pins. (Besides the NCAA has an award for most pins) Not sure how to define dominance on the mat, sportsmanship/citizenship, or heart. It seems like those criteria are there to give the voters wiggle room. Past criteria would definitely favor Valencia, S Lee, Hall and Joseph over everyone else as they have all 1s and 2s at past NCAAs.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If Spencer pins out to his 3rd title and Zahid wins all his matches by regular decision, maybe.  The Hodge has recently become more of a lifetime achievement award that seems to give a lot of weight to senior status.

i try to give you the benefit of the doubt when the other posters make fun of you jimmy - but this was an asinine statement.

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

1. Record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance on the mat
  4. Past credentials
  7. Heart

While number of pins is a criteria I don't think the leader in pins is a lock, so it is not really just a pinners award. Certainly not if they have lost a match given that record is above pins. (Besides the NCAA has an award for most pins) Not sure how to define dominance on the mat, sportsmanship/citizenship, or heart. It seems like those criteria are there to give the voters wiggle room. Past criteria would definitely favor Valencia, S Lee, Hall and Joseph over everyone else as they have all 1s and 2s at past NCAAs.

There is a little known Hodge shortcut (bypass 1-7).

Win the NCAA tournament with a pin in each match, immediately after having hand raise simultaneously crush a fresh apple in each hand!

This leaves the door open for the rare unknown guy, oh and let me be clear - thems apples not oranges.  ;)

1 hour ago, Perry said:

10-0 with 2 Falls, 7 TF’s and 1 MD(16-5)

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

1. Record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance on the mat
  4. Past credentials
  7. Heart

While number of pins is a criteria I don't think the leader in pins is a lock, so it is not really just a pinners award. Certainly not if they have lost a match given that record is above pins.

Pins everyone all year except for injury default loss.  Can't win Hodge cause Wrestleknownothing says no.