Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Predictions for tonight's Stanford AT Arizona State dual

In about 7 hours the two top ranked teams in the PAC 12 will dual each other.  Here's MY prediction for how this dual is likely to turn out:

125 lbs - ASU's Brandon Courtney (RS SO) vs. Stanford's Jackson DiSario (True FR).  The WrestleStat prediction on this match has DiSario winning 9-8 over Courtney.   I don't see it that way.  I think Courtney will win this match by decision.  He is much more experinced than DiSario

133 lbs - ASU's Joshua Kramer (RS SR) vs. Stanford's Brandon Kier (SR).  WrestleStat predicts Kramer will win this match 7-6.  I think this match could go either way.    And just to be contrary I'll pick Kier by decision here.

141 lbs - Stanford's Real Woods (RS FR) vs. ASU's Navonte Demison (RS SO) - WrestleStat predicts Woods wins this match by Tech Fall and I agree with that prediction.

149 lbs - IF Require van der Merwe is still out with injury then I would again agree with the WrestleStat prediction that ASU's Josh Maruca wins by MD over Stanford Dawson Sihavong (True FR).  IF Merwe is back in the lineup for Stanford then I would think he wins this match by either decision or Major.

157 lbs - ASU's Jacori Teemer (RS FR) vs. Stanford's Tyler Eischens (RS FR).  WrestleStat predicts Teemer wins this match by Decision.  I agree on that.

165 lbs - Stanford's Shane Griffith (RS FR) vs. ASU's Josh Shields (RS SR) - This is another match which IMO could go either way.  I'll predict Griffith wins this.

174 lbs - ASU's Anthony Valencia (RS JR) vs. Stanford's Foster Karmon or Jared Hill.  Valencia wins against either one of them by MD at the very least IMO.

184 lbs - ASU's Zahid Valencia (RS SR) vs. Stanford's Nick Addison (True FR).  Zahid wins by MD, TF or Fall.

197 lbs - Stanford's Nathan Traxler (RS JR) vs. ASU's Kordell Norfleet (RS SO) - Yet another match that could go either way.   I'm going to pick Traxler even tho his last match was less than impressive vs. Utah Valley.

285 lbs - ASU's Tanner Hall (Grad Student) vs. Stanford's David Showumni (RS SR) or Trevor Rasmussen (RS SR) - Hall wins by MD over either one.

Courtney has looked so much better than a year ago. He set the tone with Penn State, I expect that again. Can’t pick against Shields on SR night. Norfleet looks like Zahid more each day. You can tell the work this two put in together. I think Norfleet can wear down most anyone at 197 and beat them. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Payan said:

Have to agree with your predictions Bronco. Both teams can win 5 matches each. The deciding factor will be bonus points which favors ASU. 

Stanford's going to be very hard pressed to win five weight classes tonight.  It's POSSIBLE...........but unlikely IMO. They have basically no chance of doing that with van der Merwe out of the lineup at 149 lbs.   Without him they - at best - might win four weight classes.

Next season it will be reversed.  As apparently Arizona State has chosen to not recruit ANYONE at all for next season.  Even tho they have five Senior starters on this year's team.

Arizona State 28, Stanford 12

125: Brandon Courtney (Arizona State) tech fall Jackson DiSario (Stanford), 17-2

133: Gabriel Townsell (Stanford) FALL Josh Kramer (Arizona State), 7:38

141: Real Woods (Stanford) maj. dec Navonte Demison (Arizona State), 14-2

149: Dillion Ulrey (Arizona State) maj. dec. Dawson Sihavong (Stanford), 13-3

157: Jacori Teemer (Arizona State) tech. fall Tyler Eischens (Stanford), 19-4 

165: Shane Griffith (Stanford) dec. Josh Shields (Arizona State), 5-3 SV2

174: Anthony Valencia (Arizona State) maj. dec. Jared Hill (Stanford), 12-4

184: Zahid Valencia (Arizona State) tech. fall Nick Addison (Stanford), 19-4

197: Kordell Norfleet (Arizona State) dec. Nathan Traxler (Stanford), 6-4 SV2 

285: Tanner Hall (Arizona State) dec. David Showunmi (Stanford), 4-2

Three OT matches, Stanford won 2 of them.

10 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

16-2 at intermission. Stanford deducted 1 point for sportsmanship conduct after the Traxler/Noorfleet match.

Actually both teams had one point deducted for UN-sportsmanship conduct.    Arizona State was penalized for that after Stanford's # 7 ranked Shane Griffith beat # 5 ranked Josh Shields 5-3 in SV OT # 2

17 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

No way Kier beats Kramer.  Also, Griffith will not beat Shields.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that post didn't age well did it?

Townsell (who moved up from 125 lbs) PINNED Kramer.  Townsell hadn't competed at 133 lbs since half-way thru the 2017-2018 season and Griffith did - in fact - beat Shields.  Griffith is now 22-0 this season and Shields is now 15-4 this season.

huh.jpg

Edited by Bronco
addition

Here's what I saw, I got there late so I missed watching Teemer who I think has such great natural feel for wrestling. I also missed most of the Shields match too, so I don't know what happened until the last OT so I can't say anything about it.

74- Anthony Valencia looks like he's turned the corner a little bit.  Still some things to improve, but he wrestled well and I think if he is a little more patient and trusts his skills he will be in the top 5.  He seems like he forgets that he puts himself in danger occasionally and almost gave away the major decision.  

84- Zahid looked upset that he couldn't pin.  The Stanford guy was stalling like his life depended on it, hit for stalling 5 times.  I'd be shocked if Zahid doesn't win it.

97- Kordell should AA. He chased down Traxler who is very good and made him look like a guy who was just trying to make it a one move match.  Traxler should have been hit for stalling at least 2 or 3 other times.  If Norfleet stays injury free to the big dance he's going to be somebody nobody is going to want to see early on. 

285- At first I thought he had bitten Hall or something.  Hall jerked his arm away and the ref jumped in quickly so that was what I thought, but he wasn't DQ'd immediately and then I saw what happened.  Also they jobbed Hall out of back points on that takedown, I think it was because Showunmi's foot hit the floor off the mat. 

25- Courtney looks solid though he got ridden the entire 2nd period.  In neutral he's great, I think he can AA but he needs to be able to escape on bottom, that determines matches at the big dance sometimes.  

33- Kramer, ahh I felt so bad, I thought he was the aggressor through most of the match, again Townsell spent most of the match going in reverse.  Even in OT I thought Kramer had it and that sequence led to him getting thrown and pinned. He should get to the tournament, at least I hope anyway, but he's a solid wrestler. 

41- I can't figure out what's wrong with Demison.  He has the talent but just freezes or stops sometimes. Woods is the real deal and Demison I think can wrestle at that level but for whatever reason just lets nerves or something get in his way.

49- Disappointed Maruca didn't wrestle.  It was his last home dual, but he's waiting until Pac 12s I guess.  Ulrey is pretty rugged and did what he had to do.  

Overall it was a good deal but the refs were pretty inconsistent about calling stalling.  It seemed like a few of the Stanford guys spent a lot of time backing up and not engaging like Traxler.  If ASU doesn't win the conference tournament this year it'll be a huge disappointment.  At this point I think ASU ends up with AAs at 25, 57 (my homer pick), 65, 74, 84, 97 and heavy.  Outside of Zahid winning it though the only other guy I could see challenging for a top spot is Norfleet.  The rest are guys who should fit in the 5-8 range on the podium.  I'm excited for next year too, other than Zahid and Shields graduating, I think there's going to be a lot of exciting guys coming in who are going to be fun to watch.  

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

Townsell (who moved up from 125 lbs) PINNED Kramer.  Townsell hadn't competed at 133 lbs since half-way thru the 2017-2018 season and Griffith did - in fact - beat Shields.  Griffith is now 22-0 this season and Shields is now 15-4 this season.

huh.jpg

Nice pic.  :)

Kier didnt beat Kramer, so i hit that.  I stand by the 165 pick.  Shields will be Pac12 champ

5 hours ago, Bronco said:

huh.jpg

On 1/31/2020 at 10:49 AM, Bronco said:

In about 7 hours the two top ranked teams in the PAC 12 will dual each other.  Here's MY prediction for how this dual is likely to turn out:

125 lbs - ASU's Brandon Courtney (RS SO) vs. Stanford's Jackson DiSario (True FR).  The WrestleStat prediction on this match has DiSario winning 9-8 over Courtney.   I don't see it that way.  I think Courtney will win this match by decision.  He is much more experinced than DiSario

133 lbs - ASU's Joshua Kramer (RS SR) vs. Stanford's Brandon Kier (SR).  WrestleStat predicts Kramer will win this match 7-6.  I think this match could go either way.    And just to be contrary I'll pick Kier by decision here.

141 lbs - Stanford's Real Woods (RS FR) vs. ASU's Navonte Demison (RS SO) - WrestleStat predicts Woods wins this match by Tech Fall and I agree with that prediction.

149 lbs - IF Require van der Merwe is still out with injury then I would again agree with the WrestleStat prediction that ASU's Josh Maruca wins by MD over Stanford Dawson Sihavong (True FR).  IF Merwe is back in the lineup for Stanford then I would think he wins this match by either decision or Major.

157 lbs - ASU's Jacori Teemer (RS FR) vs. Stanford's Tyler Eischens (RS FR).  WrestleStat predicts Teemer wins this match by Decision.  I agree on that.

165 lbs - Stanford's Shane Griffith (RS FR) vs. ASU's Josh Shields (RS SR) - This is another match which IMO could go either way.  I'll predict Griffith wins this.

174 lbs - ASU's Anthony Valencia (RS JR) vs. Stanford's Foster Karmon or Jared Hill.  Valencia wins against either one of them by MD at the very least IMO.

184 lbs - ASU's Zahid Valencia (RS SR) vs. Stanford's Nick Addison (True FR).  Zahid wins by MD, TF or Fall.

197 lbs - Stanford's Nathan Traxler (RS JR) vs. ASU's Kordell Norfleet (RS SO) - Yet another match that could go either way.   I'm going to pick Traxler even tho his last match was less than impressive vs. Utah Valley.

285 lbs - ASU's Tanner Hall (Grad Student) vs. Stanford's David Showumni (RS SR) or Trevor Rasmussen (RS SR) - Hall wins by MD over either one.

I see your post didn't age well either....before you call guys out for their picks you might want to make sure you have the right lineups wrestling and that you don't swing and miss on 197. BTW you should know better than to compare Townsell vs Kramer to Kier vs Kramer. Different match up completely - one that you got completely wrong as well. 

Edited by Idaho

as I said in a previous post, Stanford was lucky to go 7-3. Townsell is tiny at 133. He is completely irrelevant at 33. And he got lucky as can be to get his hand raised. He did nothing most of the match, could have been called stalling many times. 

Woods is legit. Theres no doubt about that. However, he is wrestling a lot more close matches than he should be. Seems to have trouble getting big leads. Could be trouble for him in the post season. 

Griffith was handed the match. Not sure how that happens, but I look for Shields to beat griffith again at pac 12s. 

Stanford will get 2 all americans, both in the 7th/8th place matches. And it will be a tremendous failure. Their lineup, in the hands of actual coaches, would be top 10. Easily.