Marcus Cisero

DeSanto "No Mas" Against RBY

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

The amount of adults who are giddy to see a young man suffer a clear injury is just really discouraging to see. RBY is a stud. I'm sure the last thing he wanted was to win by default. The knee popping out was pretty clear.

No one is giddy that a scholar athlete was outgamed. It was clear to Stevie Wonder and Ronnie Milsap that desanto  pulled up lame after not one, but two locked up cradles.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Cant believe some people... do you really think a top tier competitor like ASD is faking an injury in a match because he got caught in one move early in a match?  By a guy he has already beaten twice?

I'm not a hawkeye fan and find it disgusting that some people are rooting for someone getting injured like that.  Did you guys get off when Rivera went down against Piotrowski?

I do believe DeSanto quit.

I don’t see anyone here wishing injury on DeSanto. 

There can’t be any doubt that DeSanto was going to get pinned twice tonight. 

Why he indicated he couldn’t continue wrestling will be the subject of speculation until more information surfaces. 

Not sure what happen there but I’ve never seen a wrestler get hurt in a near side cradle unless they had previous damage.

hats off to the Hawks, we had a slim chance and we were almost there. 

1 minute ago, Daybreak said:

That was some dirty wrestling. 

I saw nothing even close to illegal or unsportsmanlike by either wrestler. 

DeSanto couldn’t stay out of RBY’s cradle counters tonight. 

Remember what we were all told in kiddie wrestling?

”The best way to counter a cradle is to avoid getting one slapped on you.”

Lets give RBY credit...he looked flawless tonight. 

pretty hilarious to read HR and BWI re: Desanto/RBY.

HR:  RBY is dirty, hope Desanto isn't out for the year!

BWI: Desanto is a disgrace for faking an injury when he knew he was going to get pinned!

Seems pretty obvious the truth is in the middle.   RBY isn't dirty, but Desanto was hurt (no clue how badly).

The match is on youtube, you can see Rby grab Desantos foot and use it to torque the knee and lock up the cradle. Im sure he wasn't purposely trying to hurt Desanto, and in the heat of the moment was just grabbing to try to lock up a cradle, but It definitely isnt legal, my guess is that led to the Brands getting overly aggressive with the ref resulting in the team point.

Edited by Molsen

I bet some of the (justified?) schadenfreude directed at DeSanto has to do with the fact that he acts like an idiot and a bully so much of the time and has tried to injure his opponents  (or verbally abuse them) when he was either losing badly or winning badly.  And, of course, most bullies are really insecure cowards.

Karma . . . of some strange sort?

It's understandable (and admirable) to hope he isn't injured, but I'm not sure that DeSanto has earned enough (or for that matter any) respect for his (lack of) sportsmanship overall.

And maybe it's also understandable (if not necessarily admirable) to take a tiny bit of delight in watching his cocky antics almost turn to tears when he was in the down position and being ridden or cranked over to his back.

Whatever is the case, RBY kicked his butt.  

8 minutes ago, Molsen said:

The match is on youtube, you can see Rby grab Desantos foot and use it to torque the knee and lock up the cradle. It definitely isnt legal, my guess is that led to the Brands getting overly aggressive with the ref resulting in the team point.

Thanks man.  Watching now.  

Desanto literally wrestled for almost 2 minutes after the original cradle and was fine he got to his feet and escaped full speed took a full speed shot got cradled and suddenly was seriously injured, then got up and walked off fine 

desanto can be seen jumping up and down during the heavyweight match with no wrap, ice or anything on his knee.

Edited by Antitroll2828

I watched the replay and don't think it's  possible to confidently say what happened, particularly before a legit injury report is issued. 

My best guess, though, is that both sides are partially correct.  It looked like the knee torqued when Young pulled on his foot, so I think there was definitely a physical component to what happened next.  Based on what I saw in his reactions today, and the fact that DeSanto is an unusual guy whose emotions have gotten away from him at times in the past , my guess is that there was an emotional component to his reaction as well.  I suspect that the weight of this dual and the ESPN article coming out at the same time probably didn't help him find and keep his zen this week.

What % physical vs emotional I don't know.  But both can be true, no? 

Hard for me to believe that a guy that competitive and with a history of not backing down from challenges (not giving effort hasn't been the issue in his prior bad conduct) would 100% bail on a match because a very good opponent he's familiar with came out and wrestled very well for a minute against him.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Cant believe some people... do you really think a top tier competitor like ASD is faking an injury in a match because he got caught in one move early in a match?  By a guy he has already beaten twice?

I'm not a hawkeye fan and find it disgusting that some people are rooting for someone getting injured like that.  Did you guys get off when Rivera went down against Piotrowski?

Two moves...well...one move, twiced

15 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Brands said he Probably could’ve finished the match but couldn’t get a handle on his emotions so I doubt he misses much time 

When it comes to injuries, I wouldn’t believe a single word from Brands. This is the same guy that said McDonough was not injured. 

I swear, they treat injuries like Freddy Krueger. Just don’t say his name and hope he doesn’t come to life.....

Here's a video of Tom Brands recap win over Penn State.

5:40 Tom Brands – “I think if we could have got him (DeSanto) calmed down a bit, I think he could have got back in that match.”

Lets face it, DeSanto was not calm (and he was not physically hurt as evidenced by his jumping up and down during the 285lb match) and it cost him the match and his TEAM 6 points because he allowed his emotions to get the best of him.

Not good Austin but I'm still pulling for you to win the whole thing in March. I know you can do it!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

7 hours ago, lost said:

I assume the Desanto faking it shtick is pure trolling. 

personally I’m actually on the opposite end. Desanto was hurt after that first yelp. Brands should never have let him back out there.

So...either Desanto was faking it (you and I agree that is a ridiculous statement) or Brands made a terrible judgement call and didn’t consider the safety of his wrestler. That was an embarrassing decision for him to make and he should own his mistake, just like he expects his wrestlers to do. 

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I assume the Desanto faking it shtick is pure trolling. 

personally I’m actually on the opposite end. Desanto was hurt after that first yelp. Brands should never have let him back out there.

So...either Desanto was faking it (you and I agree that is a ridiculous statement) or Brands made a terrible judgement call and didn’t consider the safety of his wrestler. That was an embarrassing decision for him to make and he should own his mistake, just like he expects his wrestlers to do. 

His knee is fine.  Mentally, he was done.  RBY (PSU) had the perfect strategy & it freaked DeSanto out.  The Iowa crowd knew it as well.  He started to jog off the mat then quickly remembered he was hurt.  He was jumping up & down during the final match.

If you prevent DeSanto from getting that collar and overhook, he seems lost.  He’s not going to beat you with blast doubles, low singles or a hi crotch.  He’s gonna sweep or dump to the left side.  That was some slick wrestling from RBY. 

A zebra doesn’t change his stripes.  We all know that DeSanto is of questionable repute.  Character reveals itself in various forms. 

46 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Here's a video of Tom Brands recap win over Penn State.

5:40 Tom Brands – “I think if we could have got him (DeSanto) calmed down a bit, I think he could have got back in that match.”

Lets face it, DeSanto was not calm (and he was not physically hurt as evidenced by his jumping up and down during the 285lb match) and it cost him the match and his TEAM a 9 point swing because he allowed his emotions to get the best of him.

Not good Austin but I'm still pulling for you to win the whole thing in March. I know you can do it!

It only cost a nine point swing if DeSanto would've won. Did you see anything in that match that made you think DeSanto was going to win?