Jump to content
Marcus Cisero

DeSanto "No Mas" Against RBY

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, whaletail said:

Although some of the comments are definitely a bit dramatic, DeSanto was clearly out of sorts mentally.  Whether it was because his knee was bothering him, or the fact that he's not used to being thrown around like that, he was clearly distressed from that point on.

And he was moving fine during their subsequent scrambles.  Doesn't mean his knee wasn't bothering him, but it wasn't as if he was trying to wrestle with a torn ACL.  The leg was clearly stable enough to shoot off of, but when he came back to center, he absolutely appeared to be near tears.

Not that we'll ever know, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he thought he was letting down his fans, teammates and coaches, and it bothered him so much in the moment that he broke down.

Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll learn from the experience, and come back better for it.

"Not that we'll ever know, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he thought he was letting down his fans, teammates and coaches, and it bothered him so much in the moment that he broke down. Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll learn from the experience, and come back better for it."

I agree.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure where people are saying he was jumping around at 285. I rewatched the 285 from videos here, when I saw him he almost always had another wrestler to his left who had his arm around ADS and ADS could be seen using his right arm bracing on a chair or table sometimes although I also saw him doing the fake towel waving thing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LLB said:

Not sure what happen there but I’ve never seen a wrestler get hurt in a near side cradle unless they had previous damage.

hats off to the Hawks, we had a slim chance and we were almost there. 

The "previous damage" was RBY pulling his lower leg outward against the normal range of the knee joint in order to get to the cradle.  So, yeah, you are correct there.

 

"We...we."  No bias here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dmm53 said:

I bet some of the (justified?) schadenfreude directed at DeSanto has to do with the fact that he acts like an idiot and a bully so much of the time and has tried to injure his opponents  (or verbally abuse them) when he was either losing badly or winning badly.  And, of course, most bullies are really insecure cowards.

I'm a Cornell fan, and Desanto did this to Tucker when he lost in the EIWA semi-finals two years ago (his first poor reaction to losing?), but I can be objective and call out an illegal move when I see it.  Illegal on Tucker, illegal on Desanto.  The difference is that the former was obvious, and the latter was subtle:  if the Iowa coaches had seen it (they were screened) they'd have challenged it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, klehner said:

I'm a Cornell fan, and Desanto did this to Tucker when he lost in the EIWA semi-finals two years ago (his first poor reaction to losing?), but I can be objective and call out an illegal move when I see it.  Illegal on Tucker, illegal on Desanto.  The difference is that the former was obvious, and the latter was subtle:  if the Iowa coaches had seen it (they were screened) they'd have challenged it.

Is that a challengeable call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think (and hope) this is a troll job. Here are the facts.
1. His knee was in a position that would have hurt Cary Kolat. Is he injured? I think so. When that knee was put in the same position he felt the serious pain again. He also took up injury time. Is Austin the kind of wrestler to take up so much injury time? Definitely not. He is a pace/wrestler wrestler who tires his opponents out.

2. Had Austin known he was injured he would have tried a 6 point move. I know he’s got his stuff together this year, but I wouldn’t put him past him to “relapse” and try a Kimura, a la against Micic. (This is coming from a huge AD fan)

3. Just because he didn’t limp off the mat does not mean he’s not injured. Walking is a bit different than putting your legs into crazy positions it’s not in his character to Limp off the mat just to put on a show. Some people need to brush up on middle school anatomy.

4. Taking joy in someone being injured is disgusting. The fact that he is a kid makes it that much worse. Grow up people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:




3. Just because he didn’t limp off the mat does not mean he’s not injured. Walking is a bit different than putting your legs into crazy positions it’s not in his character to Limp off the mat just to put on a show. Some people need to brush up on middle school anatomy.

4. Taking joy in someone being injured is disgusting. The fact that he is a kid makes it that much worse. Grow up people.

I recall some guy named Yianni hurting a knee, finishing a couple of matches (“see, he’s not hurt!”) then needing surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an embarrassing topic. 

 

Have you “he’s faking” people ever seen Desanto before tonight? You really think he’s the type of guy to bail out at the sign of adversity? You don’t think he lives for a challenge?

 

Trolling related to a kid’s injury is terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klehner said:

I'm a Cornell fan, and Desanto did this to Tucker when he lost in the EIWA semi-finals two years ago (his first poor reaction to losing?), but I can be objective and call out an illegal move when I see it.  Illegal on Tucker, illegal on Desanto.  The difference is that the former was obvious, and the latter was subtle:  if the Iowa coaches had seen it (they were screened) they'd have challenged it.

I agree he should not have done that to Tucker. And it was definitely illegal what RBY did. You can’t place the ankle on that position and try to raise the knee. It’s like it was planned in desperation to win the duel and take out an Iowa wrestler for March. 

 

My question is, is this now the norm? Does it become acceptable to injure others intentionally trying to be unintentional without any consequences? 

Edited by Daybreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but something was definitely fishy last night. I watched the match with my father (a retired orthopedic surgeon) and he said that while we can’t know for sure, he didn’t see Desantos knee go into any position that would make injury likely. As a coach who is still very active in the practice room, I can say that I’ve had my ankle pulled like that, and been on both ends of similar cradles on an almost daily basis the last few months with no injury. The only time I saw positions that made me worry about someone’s knee last night was during some scrambles at 197. Now I’m not a medical professional, and obviously freak accidents DO happen, so we should reserve judgement until after we see Desanto take the mat again (hopefully ASAP!). Something did seem strange however, and Brands post match comments only add to this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brands said in the the presser that he (Desanto) has not been injured much and didn't know how to deal with it in terms of emotional response and body language.  The announcers were speculating that something happened to his face/eye because he was covering his face with his hands.  He was crying and in a panic because he knew something was really wrong.  Most people have that happen in practice at least a few times before they hit a #1 vs. #2 NCAA dual in one of the marquee matchups of the dual, but as Brands stated, DeSanto doesn't have experience with injuries.  It's scary.  I remember seeing the look on Nolf's face in his junior year when he had a bad knee injury and realized it: panic, terror, bewilderment.  If you take a kid with well-documented emotional baggage and they get hurt under a spotlight in a pressure-cooker environment, you get what you saw last night.

Edited by Konquest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RavishingRickRude said:

This is an embarrassing topic. 

 

Have you “he’s faking” people ever seen Desanto before tonight? You really think he’s the type of guy to bail out at the sign of adversity? You don’t think he lives for a challenge?

 

Trolling related to a kid’s injury is terrible. 

I agree, which makes it even more odd that  Brands basically said he didn’t think Desanto was really hurt that badly.  I normally love me some Brands interviews, but I’m surprised he would say that.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk to a physical therapist or a ligament and joint specialist and they will tell you first hand. I’m sure RBY knew what he was doing as an experienced wrestler. Not to be grasping for straws here, but I think that’s the type of stuff Cael teaches his wrestlers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I agree, which makes it even more odd that  Brands basically said he didn’t think Desanto was really hurt that badly.  I normally love me some Brands interviews, but I’m surprised he would say that.    

Brands exact quote, “I think if we could have gotten him calmed down a little bit, we could have gotten back in that match."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Talk to a physical therapist or a ligament and joint specialist and they will tell you first hand. I’m sure RBY knew what he was doing as an experienced wrestler. Not to be grasping for straws here, but I think that’s the type of stuff Cael teaches his wrestlers. 

Rby did nothing you don't see in thousands of matches. Lugo torqued verkleeren's knee much worse last nite. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Talk to a physical therapist or a ligament and joint specialist and they will tell you first hand. I’m sure RBY knew what he was doing as an experienced wrestler. Not to be grasping for straws here, but I think that’s the type of stuff Cael teaches his wrestlers. 

Good to see the trolling can come from both sides. Sigh.

Edited by RavishingRickRude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RavishingRickRude said:

Good to see the trolling can come from both sides. Sigh.

I’m just stating what I observe from an observers standpoint with also having some experience in that area of joint and ligament manipulation. Trolling is saying he faked it. Also, for what it’s worth, I’m from PA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

I’m just stating what I observe from an observers standpoint with also having some experience in that area of joint and ligament manipulation. Trolling is saying he faked it. Also, for what it’s worth, I’m from PA. 

I was referring to the part you claimed Cael teaches how to injure opponents. That would be the trolling part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a non-injury related note it did seem to me that desanto had no idea how to wrestle rby with his arm behind his back. Seemed to get in his head from the very beginning. The injury and two cautions only made things worse for Austin mentally imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, klehner said:

The "previous damage" was RBY pulling his lower leg outward against the normal range of the knee joint in order to get to the cradle.  So, yeah, you are correct there.

 

"We...we."  No bias here.

“Loser loser” Cornell wrestling right there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LLB said:

“Loser loser” Cornell wrestling right there 

Is that supposed to mean something, or just word salad?  What does Cornell have to do with the match under discussion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, klehner said:

Is that supposed to mean something, or just word salad?  What does Cornell have to do with the match under discussion?

 Read your bottom line, you want to be an ******* when replying to my post I can be one right back. Grow up Cornell wrestling is irrelevant. You shouldn’t be judging anyone. 

Edited by LLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LLB said:

 Read your bottom line, you want to be an ******* when replying to my post I can be one right back. Grow up Cornell wrestling is irrelevant. You shouldn’t be judging anyone. 

FFS, you referred to PSU as "we".  You are obviously a PSU fan.  You come back with some school-yard retort.  Lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got what's coming to him. What goes around comes around. This is what he gets for trying to injure Micic two years ago. He's a bum and he quit in Carver Hawkeye arena for the whole country to see! Go Hawks! yea right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally saw ‘the move’ - yes, that was illegal.  Against the joint.  Very clear.  Not sure how you can disagree with that.

Did RBY mean to hurt?  I have no reason to believe that. 
 

Would Penn State fans be fine if opponents did that to PSU wrestlers?  I hope not.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...