Marcus Cisero

DeSanto "No Mas" Against RBY

23 minutes ago, HoonMasta said:

He got what's coming to him. What goes around comes around. This is what he gets for trying to injure Micic two years ago. He's a bum and he quit in Carver Hawkeye arena for the whole country to see! Go Hawks! yea right

0/10.

I have no horse in this race and I don't want to see any of these high level athletes get injured.

To me it looked like the PSU staff and RBY had DeSanto well scouted, and it also looked like that cradle was part of the strategy. I watched it over and over and I did not see anything illegal. Looked like minimal stress on the knee as RBY was setting up the cradle but nothing near past the normal ROM of the knee. Then DeSanto bails out right as he's getting cradled to his back, twice. Very suspicious imo. 

I have no idea what's in DeSanto's head or how his knee actually felt, but it sure looked like no mas, no mas.  

Having said all that, maybe what I saw was totally wrong and DeSanto was injured. We'll see. 

47 minutes ago, klehner said:

FFS, you referred to PSU as "we".  You are obviously a PSU fan.  You come back with some school-yard retort.  Lame.

Stick to competing with Delaware Valley & Lock Haven there champ. 

18 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

He tweaked his knee and freaked because he was caught in a cradle.  Then when he got caught in the second cradle, he freaked out again and quit.  

Your post is an excellent "executive summary" of what really happened last night!

I recall some guy named Yianni hurting a knee, finishing a couple of matches (“see, he’s not hurt!”) then needing surgery.

And your point is? We do not know the degree, or what was torn in his knee. I recall a guy named Nolf “winning a few matches” as well. But he did not finish the match he was injured in.

39 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

And your point is? We do not know the degree, or what was torn in his knee. I recall a guy named Nolf “winning a few matches” as well. But he did not finish the match he was injured in.

Yianni got injured at ncaas and had no choice but to continue to reach his goal. Nolf and desanto getting hurt in a dual = sit out and asses. I don't think desantonis hurt as badly as nolf and there is more of a mental issue with him in this situation

1 hour ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

The point is that seeing someone walk off the mat is not an indication of a lack of severity of an issue, as some here have averred. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, silvermedal said:

He tweaked his knee and freaked because he was caught in a cradle.  Then when he got caught in the second cradle, he freaked out again and quit.  

I wondered what it reminded me of but you hit the nail on the head. When we were kids whenever we got a pickup game of any sport going we had to let my younger brother score whenever he got to hit/carry the ball or else he'd quit and ruin the game because we wouldn't have even teams. He'd pretend he was hurt when he was really just mad.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, RavishingRickRude said:

Have you “he’s faking” people ever seen Desanto before tonight? You really think he’s the type of guy to bail out at the sign of adversity? You don’t think he lives for a challenge?

I think he's a punk who was getting completely outclassed/embarrassed and just wanted off the mat before it got worse. 

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I think he's a punk who was getting completely outclassed/embarrassed and just wanted off the mat before it got worse. 

I usually like what you post and you usually have a knowledeable take.  However, this is BY FAR the most uneducated, backwards comment you have ever made. If you know wrestling, which I know you do, take your "slant" out of it and closely watch the video Headshuck posted.  The 2nd jerk of foot locked up the knee and DeSanto completely stopped wrestling and cried out in pain.  That was BEFORE the cradle was locked up and the score was 0-0.

You don't FAKE being hurt BEFORE something bad even happens..............

I am far from someone that knows the technical ins and outs of wrestling but Askren had an interesting take on his twitter feed.

He didn't see a problem with the technique and said it is taught at the lowest levels.

Your mileage may vary.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:57 AM, klehner said:

I'm a Cornell fan, and Desanto did this to Tucker when he lost in the EIWA semi-finals two years ago (his first poor reaction to losing?), but I can be objective and call out an illegal move when I see it.  Illegal on Tucker, illegal on Desanto.  The difference is that the former was obvious, and the latter was subtle:  if the Iowa coaches had seen it (they were screened) they'd have challenged it.

One of my old teammates wrestled at UVA and is an NCAA official, and ACC network commentator (Gerard Harrison).  After watching the video multiple times, he doesn't believe either of the cradles was even borderline, let alone illegal.

He's certainly not the final arbiter, or even necessarily correct, but those claiming it was obviously illegal are likely misguided.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, klehner said:

The point is that seeing someone walk off the mat is not an indication of a lack of severity of an issue, as some here have averred. 

The way he wrestled between cradles is far from dispositive, but I doubt very much he tore any ligaments.  You can't wrestle through stability issues without at least some sort of brace.

17 minutes ago, whaletail said:

The way he wrestled between cradles is far from dispositive, but I doubt very much he tore any ligaments.  You can't wrestle through stability issues without at least some sort of brace.

Yianni?  Does Kerkvliet?

15 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Tell that to Yianni, who completed (and won) his match with Heil in the NCAA quarterfinals with a torn ACL.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, RajaThaiKnee said:

Same happened with Brian Realbuto and David Taylor. Brian finished a match and maybe another, and then had knee surgery. Taylor was able to walk, but did not finish his match as it was  an exhibition. But then he had  surgery.

9 minutes ago, klehner said:

Tell that to Yianni, who completed (and won) his match with Heil in the NCAA quarterfinals with a torn ACL.

Not to mention the semis and the finals with that same knee.  And Kerkvliet supposedly has been wrestling with a torn ACL for a while and has no intentions of getting it fixed.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Daybreak said:

I agree he should not have done that to Tucker. And it was definitely illegal what RBY did. You can’t place the ankle on that position and try to raise the knee. It’s like it was planned in desperation to win the duel and take out an Iowa wrestler for March. 

My question is, is this now the norm? Does it become acceptable to injure others intentionally trying to be unintentional without any consequences? 

You cannot possibly be serious.

15 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Yianni?  Does Kerkvliet?

Yianni was braced in the matches following the injury, but I don't know about Kerkvliet.

Nor are all these ACL injuries likely complete tears.  With a complete tear, you have no lateral stability, and planting your foot, etc. will buckle the joint.

I can't imagine an athlete ignoring surgery with a complete tear, but there are always exceptions that prove the rule.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Daybreak said:

I agree he should not have done that to Tucker. And it was definitely illegal what RBY did. You can’t place the ankle on that position and try to raise the knee. It’s like it was planned in desperation to win the duel and take out an Iowa wrestler for March. 

My question is, is this now the norm? Does it become acceptable to injure others intentionally trying to be unintentional without any consequences? 

Daybreak with the absolute worst post ever, and that's saying something. 

Edited by TBar1977

21 minutes ago, klehner said:

He at least braced he knee, and was obviously wrestling cautiously.

DeSanto was wrestling with complete abandon.

That doesn't mean he wasn't injured, or that his ACL wasn't torn, merely that I'd be surprised.