Jump to content
russelscout

If Iowa lost by one...

Recommended Posts

Would they have explained what Brands said to lose a team point? I would have expected an explanation for why the ref had to get so involved. Wrestling is the only sport I can think of that a ref has so much power that he can give and take away points. Its stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry could walk out on the mat and lat drop a ref and Iowa fans would be on here posting “I still just don’t understand how Iowa lost a team point. If Iowa lost by 1 would the refs go on national tv and explain themselves?!?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Is that what happened? A point was taken from the team score without any takedowns or anything. You dont think thats silly?

 I know we don’t get along but I didn’t really see what happened to honor a team pt. I was more focused on a kid hurt. And not a knock I have never seen a kid get hurt on an inside Cradle or near side. I call previous damage here but that’s not to deflect. 
 

Good match for the hawks, it isn’t our year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LLB said:

 I know we don’t get along but I didn’t really see what happened to honor a team pt. I was more focused on a kid hurt. And not a knock I have never seen a kid get hurt on an inside Cradle or near side. I call previous damage here but that’s not to deflect. 
 

Good match for the hawks, it isn’t our year.

Im more just talking in wrestling in general. The idea that a ref can determine a dual that way is silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Im more just talking in wrestling in general. The idea that a ref can determine a dual that way is silly.

I really thought it was called as best as it could have been both ways even on the road. Lots of our brethren are bitching about stalling, I’m cool with the way the match ended and was called. You lose Berge and Cassar you can’t expect too much. Better days to come!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Would they have explained what Brands said to lose a team point? I would have expected an explanation for why the ref had to get so involved. Wrestling is the only sport I can think of that a ref has so much power that he can give and take away points. Its stupid.

I mean I think you can argue refs in football can take away points by calling back touchdowns due to penalties.

They can also give points in basketball (goaltending) and baseball (balks).

I'm guessing it had something to do with Brands jawing over at the PSU bench...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Molsen said:

It happened right after the injury right? My guess is Brands saw the toe grab/ knee torque and let the ref have it for not catching it. I could be wrong, but the timing makes sense.

If this is what it was, what a total joke. As if Brands didn’t have a point. Overseeing the safety of both wrestlers is the ref’s principal job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

If this is what it was, what a total joke. As if Brands didn’t have a point. Overseeing the safety of both wrestlers is the ref’s principal job. 

Yeah, I have no clue, but the timing makes sense and I've had an incident with a ref threatening to take a team point back when I was coaching (albiet at a much lower level) for pointing out an illegal move that ended up hurting our wrestler, so I wouldnt be shocked. Especially because Brands doesnt seem like the type to have been nice about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean I think you can argue refs in football can take away points by calling back touchdowns due to penalties.

They can also give points in basketball (goaltending) and baseball (balks).

I'm guessing it had something to do with Brands jawing over at the PSU bench...

The Desanto match ended up in a net -7 for Iowa. Thats not normal. I just really dont like that it results in points being taken away in duals, no matter what teams are involved.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Molsen said:

On the Brands press conference he said it was for going after the ref for the desanto thing. So it sounds like I was right.

Correct. After the first DeSanto injury stoppage both Brands came on the mat and were pointing and yelling at the ref who was standing on the far side of the mat. After a little bit  he walked over to the table and docked them a team point. Couldn't hear what was said but it would seem logical that they were upset with the ref for the injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, russelscout said:

I believe that the call is consistent. I just think that the rule is stupid.

agreed. 
  
they should kick coaches out and suspend them for future duals. You. Can’t come after a ref. I don’t think it should impact the team score though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I'd rather see a warning than an immediate point deduction.

I'm all for warning athletes prior to point deduction, but coaches have been doing this for years and should be expected to know the rules.  They are also supposed to lead by example for their athletes. There shouldn't be a warning for people in such a position.

 

It's also more than a bit ironic that a guy with the handle Cicero is saying people should get warnings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

agreed. 
  
they should kick coaches out and suspend them for future duals. You. Can’t come after a ref. I don’t think it should impact the team score though. 

What would need to be said or done to justify it? You watch a bball and football game and coaches are also on the refs the whole game. Why should wrestling be the sport where simply questioning a ref demands punishment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Refs can not take points off the board for the actions of coaches in any major sport. It is weird.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
 

But they can give points (if team hits free throws plus they get the ball again too) to opposing teams for actions of coaches in basketball via technical foul charged to coach. Maybe not the best analogy but it's another major sport where coaches' conduct can affect team score. 

My point here is Tom (and Terry) are disrespectful to the officials way too often. You can hear what they say a lot of times on the broadcast and you can often see their antics aimed at the officials. Could go right to basketball and say the same things about Coach K, Coach Izzo and many others. Yes I know there's "millions of dollars" at stake there but it my opinion it sets a real bad example and gives the green light to many others - hs, youth, little league coaches, fans, everyone.

Not trying to bash Tom Brands, as I posted already, I got to meet him once and he was a really good guy to me. Got to talk with him for a good 2 minutes or so, then Metcalf came over. It was awesome.  :) And I love to see Tom and Terry coaching at Iowa and sort of enjoy when they get intense, but wish they would aim it at the wrestling and not the officials. They can get their point across to the officials in a much more professional manner. 

Didn't hear what Tom said to the ref last night but I'm guessing it was something unsportsmanlike. Plus Tom knows what's in the rulebook.  

Sorry for long winded post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they need to take the situation into consideration. It seems obvious that it was about the injury to Desanto. The athletes saftey is apart of the refs job. The Brands were likely pointing that out, but likely a little abrasively, which caused the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Molsen said:

I think they need to take the situation into consideration. It seems obvious that it was about the injury to Desanto. The athletes saftey is apart of the refs job. The Brands were likely pointing that out, but likely a little abrasively, which caused the point. 

Not trying to argue with you and of course the athletes' safety is a huge priority of officials but I honestly feel that 999/1000 ( probably 1000/1000) refs would not have stopped RBY's cradle setup. IMO, it was too quick and too subtle, and I still don't think it was illegal. Not saying DeSanto didn't get injured from it.

Back to Brands. During the tOSU post match press conference last week, Tom himself said he needs to tone it down. He got hit with a team point there too. As much as a fan I am of his, I want to see the officials ding him more often. He gets away with too much. One example, and not sure if it was Terry or Tom, but after a match during the Midlands last month, he told the ref to go back to high school. Could hear it plain as day on the Flo cast. Complete disrespect to a competent and hard working official. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, russelscout said:

Is that what happened? A point was taken from the team score without any takedowns or anything. You dont think thats silly?

The more Iowa wins, the sooner you are going to morph into TBarIowa. Lol.

Godspeed young man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...