Jump to content
drag it

Joseph-Marinelli

Recommended Posts

Wanted to give some separate-thread props to these two guys.  That was fabulous. 

The first half of the dual had a close score but no competitive matches and with the injury at 133 everything seemed a little off (watching by TV anyway).

Then the top marquee match of the top dual of the year if not years leads off the second half and the 2x nat'l champ and the guy who was undefeated against him put on a show.

Great ties all match, particularly multiple extended stretches with the best double unders guy and the best double overs guy getting their holds in and ending up in a titanic throw that went the other way from prior matches.

Marinelli battling back and hitting his own throw which with more time in the period might have made it a nail biter to the end.

Blood all over both wrestlers faces for half the match.

Boom!  Great stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drag it said:

Wanted to give some separate-thread props to these two guys.  That was fabulous. 

The first half of the dual had a close score but no competitive matches and with the injury at 133 everything seemed a little off (watching by TV anyway).

Then the top marquee match of the top dual of the year if not years leads off the second half and the 2x nat'l champ and the guy who was undefeated against him put on a show.

Great ties all match, particularly multiple extended stretches with the best double unders guy and the best double overs guy getting their holds in and ending up in a titanic throw that went the other way from prior matches.

Marinelli battling back and hitting his own throw which with more time in the period might have made it a nail biter to the end.

Blood all over both wrestlers faces for half the match.

Boom!  Great stuff. 

Kind of like Schultz-Banach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a great rivalry. I love how fearless Marinelli was against the most dangerous over under guy in the country. Marinelli held on too long too early, when Cenzo was fresh and neither was sweaty enough. I love how he went right back to it and scored a reversal, though. 

Marinelli has a better tank and looks stronger while Cenzo is quicker and more explosive. Better to save upper body ties for deeper waters. I hope they see each other again at B1G and NCAAs. This is one rivalry I cannot get enough of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Truly an incredible match. Marinelli tried to force that bear hug again. I told my cousin watching with me "it's not there, don't.....damn it."

 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

 

Just curious.  Were you a legitimate wrestler?   I don't mean that facetiously either.  I'm asking because I don't know, and some of your comments indicate less mat time and simply armchair comments.  Saying "it's not there....don't" is just not accurate.  It was there.  Joseph is such a dynamic wrestler that the position changed.  That is a very similar position that marinelli has won before.  It was only a matter of time where the tables turned a bit.  I'm an Iowa fan, but the way Joseph hipped in and executed wasn't a fluke.  He changed a vulnerable situation into a crazy finish.  He has some of the best hips in wrestling, and what he did is not standard.  Let's not confuse that with a mistake on marinelli.  While there are improvements to be made, he wasnt forcing something way out of position.  Joseph executed.  

 

 

 

 

Edited by Iscored2onu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I was not a good wrestler, but that is just factually inaccurate. Previously, Marinelli got the position where he was tighter to Cenzo's body, and thus giving himself more leverage. Here he tried to force an outside trip when Cenzo's hips were back (thus giving Cenzo the leverage advantagr) and immediately went flying on a lateral drop. Marinelli was dead from the moment he tried to initiate here. It literally wasn't there, Marinelli had no leverage to finish or use his seeming strength advantage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I was not a good wrestler, but that is just factually inaccurate. Previously, Marinelli got the position where he was tighter to Cenzo's body, and thus giving himself more leverage. Here he tried to force an outside trip when Cenzo's hips were back (thus giving Cenzo the leverage advantagr) and immediately went flying on a lateral drop. Marinelli was dead from the moment he tried to initiate here. It literally wasn't there, Marinelli had no leverage to finish or use his seeming strength advantage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
 

Actually, if you look at the previous match where marinelli won the position, it was quite similar.  The first match, Joseph arguably had the better position at a point in that match.  Dynamic positioning prevailed.   Marinelli countered and executed.  I feel that is what happened tonight as well.  I respect your opinion though.  Hawks won!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a really slick throw by Cenzo early on, and yes, a position that Marinelli has won in their prior meetings. I might have to watch the replay but it looked like Marinelli was caught flat on his back and got bailed out by the blood whistle. 

I like Cenzo but will take Marinelli at B1Gs and nationals, just based on the strength and offense he showed in the second half of the match. Granted, Joseph was trying to stall out a win, but he couldn’t stop what Marinelli was throwing at him.

Also, Cenzo seems way too willing to give Alex those body locks, probably because he has the hips to defend himself just fine against them with any other opponent. The other thing is I noticed Cenzo still looking for opportunities for his inside trip. It worked against IMart but this is Alex Marinelli and he’s successfully countered Cenzo’s inside trip several times already. Cenzo needs to find another way to score, those slick lateral throws aren’t always going to be there for him.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pamela said:

That was a really slick throw by Cenzo early on, and yes, a position that Marinelli has won in their prior meetings. I might have to watch the replay but it looked like Marinelli was caught flat on his back and got bailed out by the blood whistle. 

I like Cenzo but will take Marinelli at B1Gs and nationals, just based on the strength and offense he showed in the second half of the match. Granted, Joseph was trying to stall out a win, but he couldn’t stop what Marinelli was throwing at him.

Also, Cenzo seems way too willing to give Alex those body locks, probably because he has the hips to defend himself just fine against them with any other opponent. The other thing is I noticed Cenzo still looking for opportunities for his inside trip. It worked against IMart but this is Alex Marinelli and he’s successfully countered Cenzo’s inside trip several times already. Cenzo needs to find another way to score, those slick lateral throws aren’t always going to be there for him.

This is what I feel as well. Good assessment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cenzo has nailed straight shots before so he definitely has other ways to score. I recall an especially clean double from space maybe a year ago. He has an athletic and speed edge against Marinelli, especially in the first. It makes sense that Marinelli would want to tie up, slow things down, and burn some energy off. Cenzo is not an easy puzzle to solve. He is explosive, has tremendous hips and therefore solid defense, and if you try to take it to him and wear him out to even the playing field later, he can put anyone down for 6 in a split second. I think Marinelli had the right idea but should’ve saved the heavy duty upper body work for later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pamela said:

That was a really slick throw by Cenzo early on, and yes, a position that Marinelli has won in their prior meetings. I might have to watch the replay but it looked like Marinelli was caught flat on his back and got bailed out by the blood whistle. 

I like Cenzo but will take Marinelli at B1Gs and nationals, just based on the strength and offense he showed in the second half of the match. Granted, Joseph was trying to stall out a win, but he couldn’t stop what Marinelli was throwing at him.

Also, Cenzo seems way too willing to give Alex those body locks, probably because he has the hips to defend himself just fine against them with any other opponent. The other thing is I noticed Cenzo still looking for opportunities for his inside trip. It worked against IMart but this is Alex Marinelli and he’s successfully countered Cenzo’s inside trip several times already. Cenzo needs to find another way to score, those slick lateral throws aren’t always going to be there for him.

And Spaghetti has never stalled against Joseph with a big lead? Inside trip was pretty much out of the question tonight, I think everyone in the world knew that. Here’s to hoping they not only meet up for a B1G title but a Ncaa title as well. 
 

Hall Smh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a very exciting match for sure! But honestly, I can’t believe Marinelli kept looking for an outside trip off the 50/50. I think he was trying to bait Joseph to go for his inside and then was going to try to crunch him like last time. But he was really getting out of position going for that outside trip...you play with fire, you’re going to get burned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be negative on 2 college studs but this to me was a glaring example of how bad our upper body skills are in America. How long do you think either of these guys would last in that position against Bay? That is a pulling position not pushing. You gain advantage by getting shoulder position and creating momentum in  your  opponent from their pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El lucador said:

I hate to be negative on 2 college studs but this to me was a glaring example of how bad our upper body skills are in America. How long do you think either of these guys would last in that position against Bay? That is a pulling position not pushing. You gain advantage by getting shoulder position and creating momentum in  your  opponent from their pressure. 

It's not negative. It's realistic. We're obviously not a nation of greco enthusiasts. However, it was incredibly entertaining to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pamela said:

That was a really slick throw by Cenzo early on, and yes, a position that Marinelli has won in their prior meetings. I might have to watch the replay but it looked like Marinelli was caught flat on his back and got bailed out by the blood whistle. 

I like Cenzo but will take Marinelli at B1Gs and nationals, just based on the strength and offense he showed in the second half of the match. Granted, Joseph was trying to stall out a win, but he couldn’t stop what Marinelli was throwing at him.

Also, Cenzo seems way too willing to give Alex those body locks, probably because he has the hips to defend himself just fine against them with any other opponent. The other thing is I noticed Cenzo still looking for opportunities for his inside trip. It worked against IMart but this is Alex Marinelli and he’s successfully countered Cenzo’s inside trip several times already. Cenzo needs to find another way to score, those slick lateral throws aren’t always going to be there for him.

I can’t disagree with what you’re saying but I think the throw in this match may set up that inside trip in a future match. Marinelli was working that body lock, outside step while respecting Cenzo’s iTrip...totally different feel, motion, direction. Cenzo felt that and flipped the script. Now, down the line, Marinelli is going to have to respect, (and his body will remember), that new motion, direction, location of pressure. 
 

That one throw really makes their next match or two real interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The inside trip/lat drop 1-2 punch is awesome. Zach Esposito made a living off it. Guys pressure in, inside trip. Hips out to protect against the trip, lat drop. You're 50/50 at best against a talent like Cenzo there. Better to keep hitting safe higher-percentage shots like Marinelli does so well until he starts to breathe hard and get sweaty, then try to power him over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...