Housebuye

Who wins at NCAAs? Hall or Kemerer?

Who wins at NCAAs?   

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins at NCAAs?

• Mark Hall
    • Michael Kemerer

We witnessed an amazing match at 174 last night. At first it seemed Hall was far superior (that insane throw and Hall’s reversal). Granted Kem did hit that takedown but it was clearly off of that insane throw. 

Then Kem turned it on and hit 2 more takedowns. 

They are fairly evenly matched and each have district advantages. The style clash is super exciting. 

Kemmerer's effort was so impressive, but Hall looked like the better wrestler.  It was an awesome revival of the legendary Carver Magic that carried Kemmerer to victory.  I don't think you can count on that happening again.  Hall is so technically amazing, and Cael is such a good coach, I think they'll figure it out come March.  I can't remember the last time I actually liked an Iowa wrestler, but KemDog's wrestling and demeanor after winning may have won me over. The real winner of that match were wrestling fans all over the country.  And the fact that it happened on the heels of the epic, bloody gladiator fest of 165 was awesome.  

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how exhausted Hall looked at the end of the match. Did he get CHA’d? Or did Kemerers insane pace and seeming size advantage wear Hall down? I can’t wait to see this matchup again. 

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how exhausted Hall looked at the end of the match. Did he get CHA’d? Or did Kemerers insane pace and seeming size advantage wear Hall down? I can’t wait to see this matchup again. 

It seems to me that Iowa guys train to be in peak conditioning at every event they enter, while a number of other schools really work to peak conditioning at NCAAs.  Hall has seemed tired in some of his past matches outside of NCAAs, but on the big stage he has only lost to exceptional talent.

Edited by Billyhoyle

You could just tell that Hall wanted to go out there and put the dual away easily. When he didnt get that Headlock he wanted to do anything he could to silence the crowd/embarrass Kemerer. 

By the time he realized he needed to put his ego aside for his team it was too late and he was pretty obviously rattled. 

With that being said, I'll (sadly) take Hall at NCAAs.

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Way more picking Hall that I expected. Guess it’s still early with only 11 votes

It reminds me of when I put up a poll prior to the Dean Nickal NCAA finals match and the majority picked Bo. I think even if somebody is technically favored because of past results, people tend to pick matches based on talent, and generally they are correct to do so. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It reminds me of when I put up a poll prior to the Dean Nickal NCAA finals match and the majority picked Bo. I think even if somebody is technically favored because of past results, people tend to pick matches based on talent, and generally they are correct to do so. 

I don’t remember this poll.  I thought I was one of the very few even giving Bo a chance before the match.  (I thought Bo would win easily).  

If Hall wrestles like last night, he loses. Looked as if he was not interested and had no fire after the first action. Went steadily downhill did not show any sense of urgency - near the end he looked as if he gave up.

The only worse showing was the big guy. The California Prune Picker looked as if he just didn't care. I know some good wrestlers come from California - but this guy is so far from them at this point he might as well be from Belize.

Alright I'll go contrary to everyone and go with Kemerer although I'm not sure I believe it myself. I saw in their match a guy that can hang with and at times even out-scramble Hall, plus he is obviously larger and appeared to have a strength edge. Seems like he could get to Hall's legs fairly easily. 

My gut reaction after the match was that Hall lost it, instead of Kem winning it. Kem looked like he was firing on all cylinders and Hall looked off, like he wrestled very poorly compared to his average output.  Now, how much of that was do to Kem?  Kem wrestled great, I’m impressed.  But, if they both wrestle great, I think Hall wins the rematch.

25 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Kem wrestled great, I’m impressed.  But, if they both wrestle great, I think Hall wins the rematch.

What you’re really saying is if Hall wrestles as tentatively as he did against Bo Jordan and Zahid, he has a much better chance, and I agree. He underestimated Kem and paid by gassing himself. However, Kem is very good at keeping himself in a match and winning close ones too. Kem earned the benefit of the doubt last night so I’m going with him in a rematch. Very, very few guys can outscramble Mark Hall. Can’t wait to see the rematch.

The only way Kemmerer can continue to beat Hall is to stay on the attack and never get discouraged. His conditioning (and now confidence ) is good; all he has to do is stay on the attack and force errors and fatigue Hall. If he doesn't stay on this path Hall will eat him up. 

8 minutes ago, Perry said:

Best version of hall looks better than the best version of kemmerer to me. The hostile iowa crowd seems to get to hall for some reason and affects how he performs. I'll take hall in the rematches

Yep - Hall's never been in front of a hostile crowd. 

30 minutes ago, headache said:

Yep - Hall's never been in front of a hostile crowd. 

He has, when he had his redshirt pulled and lost to Meyer in CHA where he also looked rattled.

I do see kem and hall being the b1g and NCAA finals this year at 174

One thing to consider is that Kimmer looked huge next to Hall last night and that size difference will likely be even more pronounced if they meet in the finals at NCAAs.

I don’t know if Mike is cutting much weight and will look Zahid-like after rehydrating and eating, but next to Hall it doesn’t look as though he’s not cutting either.

6 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Perhaps that first move Hall made sapped his energy. Looking forward to the Big 10s.

6 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

If Hall wrestles like last night, he loses. Looked as if he was not interested and had no fire after the first action. Went steadily downhill did not show any sense of urgency - near the end he looked as if he gave up.

The only worse showing was the big guy. The California Prune Picker looked as if he just didn't care. I know some good wrestlers come from California - but this guy is so far from them at this point he might as well be from Belize.

LOL  What is a California Prune Picker?

3 hours ago, dwkeller said:

Perhaps that first move Hall made sapped his energy. Looking forward to the Big 10s.

That’s how I viewed the match.  Mark will make his adjustments and win controlling matches at big tens and ncaa’s.